• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Depends on the bore cleaner used. Some are quite ineffective and require assistance with removing mechanical fouling (bushes).

Wipe Out does not require brushes. Just jag and patch.

Brushes often leave deposits of their own which can lead to a false positive with copper solvents.

I use Hopes 9 (I think). Wanted to make sure I wasn't damaging anything.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I use Hopes 9 (I think). Wanted to make sure I wasn't damaging anything.

Since I discovered WipeOut years ago I've only opened my Hoppe's to clean 22 rimfires or smell it. Really!
    I've got a bottle of Montana Extreme copper solvent in the garage. It hasn't been opeened in years. Don't plan to either. Man that stuff's ammonia is strong enough to revive the dead or kill the living.

Also only have nylon brushes for cleaning 22s and gas tubes. Don't even use them after lead bullets in pistols anymore.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Since I discovered WipeOut years ago I've only opened my Hoppe's to clean 22 rimfires or smell it. Really!
    I've got a bottle of Montana Extreme copper solvent in the garage. It hasn't been opeened in years. Don't plan to either. Man that stuff's ammonia is strong enough to revive the dead or kill the living.

Also only have nylon brushes for cleaning 22s and gas tubes. Don't even use them after lead bullets in pistols anymore.

Yep. Wipeout is sweet.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Wipeout is great stuff! I had heard (and largely dismissed) the claims, as I had used Hoppes #9 for many years. So as a test, I ran a patch of Wipeout through a bore that I had meticulously cleaned with Hoppes.
    I’m now a believer. What an eye opener that was! But as the manufacturer states, DO be sure to keep it away from shellac, varnish, or oil finished stocks! It WILL damage these finishes!

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Col Hatcher said that they switched from linseed oil to tung oil with the Garand in the late thirties because they had a fire in the stock dipping shed at Springfield Armory. Someone left a linseed wet rag on floor or something. The tung dries faster, which was probably the main reason. Tung wet rags are still a hazard for Spontaneous Combustion though. Troops and armorers still got the linseed oil for maintenance.

If you don't have a steel can with lid to put your rags in, put them in the BBQ until trash day. Lay them flat to dry out. OR, just burn them in that drum you steeled.

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    The previous posts covered pretty much everything that one could need. For a rough bore that fouls easily, older military rifles, there is one thing that I would recommend.

I use a Dewey rod with a nylon brush and Sweets 7.62. One must use a nylon brush with Sweets because it will dissolve a brass brush. Just run a wetted brush down the bore, wait a few minutes, then follow with a dry patch on a jag. Repeat till the dry patch comes out clean. I follow up with Shooters Choice, wet then dry patches to make sure the Sweets is removed.

However, I only recommend Sweets for heavy copper fouling.

521FF

Jul 23, 2016
    Owings, MD
    $110 is pretty steep for a cleaning kit.

As many have oreviously said - Quart of Mobil 1 (0w, 5w seems to be best) and old tee shirt or some rag, a bore snake for the caliber your using and some Hoppes bore cleaner is about all you really need. You could dress the kit up a little If you have polymer guns with a little Birchwood Casy Polymer Safe Gun Scrubber, or some CLP from walmart. But really this is all you really need.

Good luck

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Mil-Comm TW25 grease (I use this for my pistols) or Mobil 1 synthetic grease.
    Mobil 1 oil for AR’s
    Wipe-Out for cleaning barrels
    1 piece Dewey cleaning rods
    Nylon brushes ONLY when a brush is needed. (Which is almost never)
    Birchwood Casey Barricade for protectant

Don’t over clean your firearms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    I have looked and I did not find a recent thread on this topic. I am looking to invest into some new cleaning equipment and wanted thoughts opinions and preferences on kits, solvents, lubes, and tools to get this job done. Lets assume that we are looking at all the common calibers and I have nothing. I am willing to spend the money if it is worth it but also do not need/want a diamond handled bore snake.

I saw this on the interwebs and then thought before I buy reach out to the group here first.

https://www.amazon.com/Otis-Technol...K6/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Thanks in Advance all

ITSN,

Everyone will have his/her druthers, but I think that would be a wise choice, unless it's Chinese. Make sure it, or whatever you get, is made in the USA, because those Chink bronze brushes collapse and are worthless after a few "scrubbings".

Contact the seller and get the "Made In" specs, before you may waste your hard-earned money on over-rated junk.

HAGD

Last edited:

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    And for oil, Mobil 1 synthetic oil is cheap and works great.

And remember, most firearms are damaged by over cleaning than under cleaning.

And when you go out into that 15°, 20° and 25° weather, and below, don't forget to take a rag/patches and wipe off the grease and oil, because when it's freezing out there, it will impede your weapon's action. Just ask the Germans and Russkies. LOL
    .:party29:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    And when you go out into that 15°, 20° and 25° weather, and below, don't forget to take a rag/patches and wipe off the grease and oil, because when it's freezing out there, it will impede your weapon's action. Just ask the Germans and Russkies. LOL
    .:party29:

Read the specs for synthetic oil and grease. It's just fine in the temps you listed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom