The Official AR308 Picture Thread (yes, AR10's welcome too)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    They're not even making those anymore. WTF.
    CMMG doesn't make them anymore, but others do/did. The design rights have been passed around a few times... I want to say Anubis Arms makes the lowers now. This kind of lower has some similarities to the AR w/ AK magwell builds in that you need to hog out the upper a bit for the magazine to fit properly. I'll also note that I've found mag compatibility with the lower to be hit and miss - some of them fit great, others you really have to jam in for them to lock in.

TBH, SR-25 magazines are probably more sensible, especially considering no LRBHO with G3 mags, but the thought of yet another kind of magazine to manage really was not appealing.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I still have quite a few G3 mags at home, plus they're $3 a pop. I bought 35 of them back when they were $0.99 each for my CETME. CMMG took so long to actually get these out I forgot about them.

ajviera

Dec 25, 2015
    Avenue, MD
    My new 6.5 CM build
    JP Enterprises Side Charging Upper & Lower
    PRS Gen 3 stock
    JP Enterprises LMOS with HP bolt
    JP Enterprises Silent Captive Spring
    JP Enterprises 17.25" rail
    Geissele Hi-Speed National Match - Match Rifle Trigger
    Ergo Deluxe Grip
    DRACOS 22" Straightjacket barrel
    Area-419 self timing muzzle break
    Primary Arms Platinum Series 6-30X56
    JP Enterprises 34mm mount

Attachments

• 20170630_163950.jpg
      20170630_163950.jpg
      62.1 KB · Views: 743
    • 20170630_164013.jpg
      20170630_164013.jpg
      58.6 KB · Views: 846

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    This thread hasn't been touched in over a year. :innocent0 My Robbie Leonard inspired background check sent me home with a stripped Aero Precision upper and lower kit, and I have no idea what to do with it :tap:

How about a little pictorial inspiration :shrug:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Put this together a couple months ago. 18" BA heavy/fluted, Aero M5 upper/lower, SA adjustable gas, Griffin hammer comp brake/mount, 15" ATLAS M-lok rail, Aero kit, AR gold trigger, Radian raptor/talon, UBR/2 stock, Vortex PST II 1-6. Wanted something that was capable on targets out to 600 yards, but wasn't so large and unweildy that it couldn't serve as a Heavy metal 3 gun rifle. Ended up at 12# unloaded(about average for AR308 with optic), but balances well despite the heavy barrel. The Vortex does surprisingly well despite the relatively low magnification, have only had it out to 400yds so far, but no problem making quick hits on 12" plates, the fine reticle and extremely clean and crisp image work much better than I thought they would, and are really good and fast close in. The UBR stock includes an A5 length buffer tube, which allows you to run standard length M4 buffers(otherwise 308s need short buffers with M4 tubes), and the weight helps offset the heavy barrel. I looked into the Aero gen2 enhanced handguards, but they are huge, the ATLAS setup is awesome, really easy to put on or remove the guard, it's slim, light, and very rigid. Only issue is that the built-in QD sockets are shallow, and a swivel will bottom aggainst the barrel just before locking in, had to make a low-profile swivel to work, but probably not an issue with lighter-profile barrels. The Receivers, guard, bolt, and barrel are all essentially the same brand, and bolted up easily with a good fit. I lapped the upper, but it wasn't really out, bedded the barrel, but the fit was tight, so probably didn't make much of a difference. Headspace is snug, but in-spec, feeds and functions reliably with the mix of 7.62 NATO and 308 commercial ammo and handloads I've tried. Have grouped about 1MOA with my handloads and FGMM, which is more than adequate for it's purpose. As an all around AR308, I'm happy with it.
    20181201_162904.jpg

20181201_162931.jpg

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    CMMG doesn't make them anymore, but others do/did. The design rights have been passed around a few times... I want to say Anubis Arms makes the lowers now. This kind of lower has some similarities to the AR w/ AK magwell builds in that you need to hog out the upper a bit for the magazine to fit properly. I'll also note that I've found mag compatibility with the lower to be hit and miss - some of them fit great, others you really have to jam in for them to lock in.

TBH, SR-25 magazines are probably more sensible, especially considering no LRBHO with G3 mags, but the thought of yet another kind of magazine to manage really was not appealing.

Monarch Arms is making them now. They also offer an 80% version. They both come with a proprietary upper.

https://www.monarcharms.com/shop/receivers/monarch-arms-arg3-stripped-receiver-set/

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Aero M5E build. Faxon 18" pencil barrel, MI 15" handguard, Superlative adjustable gas, some no-name melonited BCG, Tubb flat wire spring buffer setup, ASR FH, and some random decent stuff in the lower. Optic is a Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-8.5x - friggin' excellent glass, and made by LOW out in Japan. Reticle isn't the greatest, but I love how it can dial effectively.

Attachments

• IMG_1833.jpg
      IMG_1833.jpg
      53.3 KB · Views: 588

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    The POF DI Revolution answers the mail for me. It weighs 7.1lbs, has AR like recoil, makes 1000 yard shots all day long and is the same size as a regular AR. Besides the price tag, what’s not to like?

https://youtu.be/Mwl-AWev1GM

MReid

Nov 12, 2019
    My ar10 project

My original ar10 build was based on a dpms upper and. Lower. I used an 18 inch ballistic advantage barrel, Magpul furniture, Fortis free float handguard, and rock River 2 stage trigger.

The rifle performed very well but I was not a fan of the barrel and handguard I had chosen to go with. Instead of rebuilding the project, I sold it to a new and very happy owner and started from scratch. Im hoping to have the new rifle assembled by Christmas.

The scope I had mounted on this build was a vortex viper pst gen 1, 2.5-10x32 first focal plain. In .1mrad adjustment in an ADM qd mount with throw lever and bubble level. It's been a great set up as well but im currently looking to sell that rig to fund a higher powered optic for the next gun.

Attachments

• 20170929_181119~2.jpg
      20170929_181119~2.jpg
      77.2 KB · Views: 352
    • IMG_20191112_121806.jpg
      IMG_20191112_121806.jpg
      142.1 KB · Views: 291
    • IMG_20191112_121703.jpg
      IMG_20191112_121703.jpg
      144 KB · Views: 291
    • IMG_20191112_121721.jpg
      IMG_20191112_121721.jpg