• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Just kind of putting feelers out there on this one.

My fnp 9, while a fantastic pistol, I'm coming to find out that it is just a little small for my hands. If this were going to be a do-it-all pistol, range, hd, carry etc, I wouldn't mind sacrificing a little shooting comfort for the light weight and small size. However, this is really just a range gun for me, with some light competition stuff on the side maybe, (informal, steel stuff), and I want more stability in my shooting. Which is where this query comes along.

I used to have a steel eaa witness, which as many of you know, is the cz 75 clone. This was an incredibly comfortable gun to shoot, fit my hands perfectly due to it's large size. I only got rid of it because it wouldn't cycle reliably with either of the factory slides I got.

This makes me want to maybe get a cz, as I'm already familiar with the ergonomics, and I would be getting the real deal.

I've also been considering the baretta 92 family, as they are rather large and hand filling as well, and obviously have a good service record and a large following.

I want steel, I like the weight of them, faster follow up shots and all, and I want a larger frame.

Both of these seem to show up occasionally in a similar price bracket used, the 400-450 range, and both seem to have a decent aftermarket out there with holsters, mags, triggers, sights, etc.

Anyone want to sway me one way or the other? Or if you have another suggestion, meeting those requirements, 9mm, steel, large, $400-450, good aftermarket, and all that, let me hear it!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Just kind of putting feelers out there on this one.

My fnp 9, while a fantastic pistol, I'm coming to find out that it is just a little small for my hands. If this were going to be a do-it-all pistol, range, hd, carry etc, I wouldn't mind sacrificing a little shooting comfort for the light weight and small size. However, this is really just a range gun for me, with some light competition stuff on the side maybe, (informal, steel stuff), and I want more stability in my shooting. Which is where this query comes along.

I used to have a steel eaa witness, which as many of you know, is the cz 75 clone. This was an incredibly comfortable gun to shoot, fit my hands perfectly due to it's large size. I only got rid of it because it wouldn't cycle reliably with either of the factory slides I got.

This makes me want to maybe get a cz, as I'm already familiar with the ergonomics, and I would be getting the real deal.

I've also been considering the baretta 92 family, as they are rather large and hand filling as well, and obviously have a good service record and a large following.

I want steel, I like the weight of them, faster follow up shots and all, and I want a larger frame.

Both of these seem to show up occasionally in a similar price bracket used, the 400-450 range, and both seem to have a decent aftermarket out there with holsters, mags, triggers, sights, etc.

Anyone want to sway me one way or the other? Or if you have another suggestion, meeting those requirements, 9mm, steel, large, $400-450, good aftermarket, and all that, let me hear it!

I dont know the Beretta's well. Its probably the only "classic" auto I dont have an example of. But you can hardly beat a CZ for simplicity, reliability, ergonomics, and for the most part price.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I love the Beretta. They are great shooters and look good too.

Ive fired Moosemans Beretta - that gun fits my hands very well. 1911's typically fit my hands well.. If I ever was in the market for a 9mm calibered pistol, that would be my personal choice. Lots of law enforement agency, and of course military carry it, so it has an already proven track record.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Know where to find a good quality one for 450?

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

No.

But, I would seriously tap your local IP shops to see what they have in stock. 2A seems to have a good rotation of used handguns often.

I've been keeping an eye on the 92FS prices for about a month now on various forums. Pre-owned are usually $100 more than your budget. I think you'll find a Cz in your budget quicker.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    No.

But, I would seriously tap your local IP shops to see what they have in stock. 2A seems to have a good rotation of used handguns often.

I've been keeping an eye on the 92FS prices for about a month now on various forums. Pre-owned are usually $100 more than your budget. I think you'll find a Cz in your budget quicker.

I was thinking I might get lucky and find a police trade in model. Holster wear doesn't bother me.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    CZ 75s are my favorite pistols, love the feel of them. My buddy has a PT92, didn't care for it much myself though. Get whatever is comfortable for you.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    I was thinking I might get lucky and find a police trade in model. Holster wear doesn't bother me.

In that case, get whatever you can get the cheapest now. Since, you and I know, next year you'll go after the "other" one.

:D

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    I have a CZ 75B which I've had for a decade give or take a year or so, I hit the 10K round mark years ago (I stopped counting). It is a terrific gun: incredible ergonomics (it fits my hand perfectly), good reliability, great accuracy, and it is pretty well made (there are some machine marks inside and similar minor workmanship/fit and finish issues, but nothing major). You can't go wrong with a CZ 75.

I don't have, but I've shot the Beretta M92 as well as the Taurus PT92. I've long considered one but haven't bought one. Both the Beretta and the Taurus version are quite reliable, and if they fit your hand well they should be comfortable and accurate to shoot (they are huge and don't fit everyone). The Taurus should be about as good as the Beretta functionally (though missing a bit in fit and finish) and it should be cheaper. However, I don't think the Beretta is steel, it is aluminum alloy, but still relatively heavy.

Given that that M92 is alloy and not steel, you might want to consider the SIG 226 since it fits everything else in your criteria as well (like the Beretta they are alloy but with some serious heft and more than enough strength for a lifetime of 9mm). Used, you might find one around $450 (possibly a little less for a police trade-in) and you can easily find a used 226 for within $50 of your budget. They are every bit as reliable and accurate as the Beretta and the CZ, and the workmanship and fit and finish is usually better (I used to have a 9mm 226 and a .40S&W 229, I should have kept one or both, I would consider them superior to my CZ).

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I've owned a 92. In my opinion, CZ 75 hands down. A great gun even if a little large for my hands. Accurate as all get out for range work.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I have several of the Beretta 92 family and two of the CZ 75s. I enjoy shooting them all. My preference is the Beretta due to it being the first 9mm handgun I owned. It is still my 'go to ' gun and the one I train with for all of the classes I take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom