• ...and so much more!
  • Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Anybody else get the CMP Notice?
    No more Correct Grade M1s.

However, you can now get an M1 Special Grade in .308.

My Question is:
    How would an M1 in .308 compare to an M1A?
    Guess the clips will still work?

Kinda wanted an M14 (M1A) but now thinking of an M1 in .308 (7.62 Nato)
    Thoughts?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    .308 Garands had a run of popularity not so long ago. (The 90s? The Naughty Naughts?) Mainly because the ammo was cheaper than M2 Ball. Then the 7.62 got pricey, and .30-06 got cheap, so the .308 Garands moved to the back of the safes.

All that's needed for the conversion is a new barrel. The gas port is a little bigger, but that's included with the barrel, of course. Normally a plastic (quell horreurs!) spacer block is installed in the magazine, but I don't think even that is absolutely necessary. No change to the clips.

I really don't think you would notice any difference at all in the performance of the rifle. You'd just have to get used to those tiny, stubby little cartridges.

I'm sure a .308 Garand would not be legal to use in John C Garand matches, but who knows, that may change someday after the HXP is all gone...

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Ballistics would be similar as I believe the M2 ball is not that hot, felt recoil should be a little lower.

It's a prime candidate for a shuffs mag fed garand. Then you almost have an m14. Price would be pretty similar though.

There should be a lot of 308 surp in the near future and 30-06 seems to be getting more rare so long run it may be a good idea to have one. I also think there is probably a wider variety of great match ammo for 308.

Only question is will a 308 garand be legal for as issued match?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    They're "Specials" : newly built with GI receivers, new Criterion barrels, and new walnut stocks. They've been making them in .30-06 for several years.

M1 Garand, CMP Special (.308)
    Allow 30-60 days for delivery.
    M1 Garand Springfield Armory receiver. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. A .308 spacer block is installed to prevent the loading of a .30-06 round into the chamber. - $995 S&H $24.95 per rifle

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/m1garand.htm

The .308 offering looks like an acknowlegement that the wheel is coming around again, and that soon .308 will once again be the more economical, practical chambering, as it was for a while 10 or 15 years ago.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    A little off topic, but

I remember hearing about chamber inserts that were used in M1's to allow the use of .308 ammo. I believe they had some trouble with them coming out, with a shell, at times.

Anyone have any experience with these?

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    If you're Navy (active or reserve), you can still WIN a M1 MkII .308 Match Garand at the Fleet and All Navy matches (13-22 April at Quantico), or a Match .30-'06 Garand (the .308 Mk II's are worth about twice as much). They even have an award for top new shooter.

Af_catfish

Abandon All Hope
    Sep 6, 2011
    Bremen, Ohio
    I got that email. I love my 30-06 Garand. But with ammo being pricey I went and got an M1A. That way I could have the battle rifle feel with the price of .308. If I weren't tight on money I'd have to order one. I just wonder if I would have to be careful of the loads I use like with the 30-06.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    My Question is:
    How would an M1 in .308 compare to an M1A?
    Guess the clips will still work?

Kinda wanted an M14 (M1A) but now thinking of an M1 in .308 (7.62 Nato)
    Thoughts?

My M1 has a .308 barrel. It doesn't have a magazine spacer and feeds just fine from normal clips. The only thing the spacer block does is prevent you attempting to insert a clip loaded with '06.

I've never shot a .30'06 M1 so I don't have much to compare with, but I would say my gun is a very pleasant shooter. It points well and delivers lead pretty much where you point it, which surprised me after I was consistently hitting steel at 300yds with iron sights!

The gas port on a .308 gun is larger than it's '06 cousin. Somewhere around 0.092" -0.096" depending on the manufacturer. The same rules apply to shooting 7.62x51 as M2 ball; use an adjustable gas plug if you want to run commercial loads and/or heavy bullets as most of these cycle the op rod far faster than desirable.

Of course, now I have an M1 I want an M1A as well...

Af_catfish

Abandon All Hope
    Sep 6, 2011
    Bremen, Ohio
    Good question. However, with the new Criterion barrels it may not be an issue.
    The problem isn't with the barrel. It's with the gas system. The rifle was designed to function with .30 cal M2 Ball. Or 30-06 loaded to military specifications. The pressure wave generated by the M2 is different from most commercial loaded ammo. Too little pressure and the rifle doesn't cycle. Too much pressure and you risk bending the op rod or doing damage to the receiver from the force of the action cycling. It may not happen the first time, but you run the risk of serious damage. You can put in an adjustable gas plug to regulate the amount of gas used to cycle the weapon, which allows you to use commercial 30-06. With the original gas plug it's only safe to use military M2 or a commercial round loaded to the exact same specs. Federal makes a round through it's American Eagle brand that's designed especially for the Garand. It's not exactly cheap, but I like not tearing up my nice Garand.
    The M1A is similar to the Garand design. I can run most .308/7.62x51 in it. Springfield Armory advises against using really heavy bullets and Hornandy TAP. I currently use Winchester White Box 7.62 Nato. The rifle eats it up.
    And yes, shooting a Garand is worth having to learn all this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom