• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I was going through my "closet of Mosins" and while dry cycling one, the firing pin engages (aka fires) when the bolt in put down. Mind you, this is one I never got aroundto cleaning so its still got goop all over it. ITs my only onee that does this. Any ideas?

Im thinking if I was chambering a round it would shoot immedately as i put the bolt down.

I have a bunch that are goopy and uncleaned but this is the only one that does this.

VTX1800

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 29, 2011
    AA County
    I would suspect the trigger and or sear first before something in the bolt.
    Remove the bolt and visually inspect it.
    You may want to pull another one of your Mosin rifles out to compare it to.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I was going through my "closet of Mosins" and while dry cycling one, the firing pin engages (aka fires) when the bolt in put down. Mind you, this is one I never got aroundto cleaning so its still got goop all over it. ITs my only onee that does this. Any ideas?

Im thinking if I was chambering a round it would shoot immedately as i put the bolt down.

I have a bunch that are goopy and uncleaned but this is the only one that does this.

how about cleaning the bolt and see if it still does it.. maybe cosmoline is the cause?

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    swapped bolts with known good. good bolt worked in suspect gun. Must be the bolt.

Could cosmo cause this condition? I would think the firing pin would not strike accidently when the handle is pushed down if it was filled with cosmo. I havent cleaned it, because the ones I dont shoot I rather leave the cosmo on.

Maybe I am gonna have to clean this one.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    It works fine with a known good bolt, so I dont think the problem is in the action...

btw.. I think I am gonna swing by to see you today Lou. See what you got..

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    check the bottom of the bolt head.. either worn out or it may have been slipping to catch the trigger.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    First thing I would do is clean the rifle, unless you are keeping the cosmo on it for some reason.

I had this happen to me a few years ago at the range. The sear had broken in half and would no longer hold the cocking peice/firing pin at full cock. I knew something was wrong, but it wasn't until I broke the rifle down that I saw what the problem was.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    Buy some cosmoline and redo it. ;)

No kidding, if you plan on long term storage to the point that you were going to leave the cosmoline, at least get some bearing grease or the like and re-smear it down. Or if the rifle has enough cosmoline on it already, just smear some from another surface onto the portion you cleaned! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom