• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I was surfing around researching K98's today after my new acquisition yesterday and came across something I didn't expect...I found info on my other K98 from the previous owner and what he had done to it.

This was my thread when I purchased my Mitchell's rifle in 2010.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=45680

Didn't look like some other Mitchell's guns I had seen before, more parts matched, even down to firing pins, screws, etc. I didn't think that Mitchell's was that detailed, but never really thought more about it.

Until today...

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/55577-I-have-to-do-it-Show-me-your-K98-s

So here is my rifle back in '09 in a collection, I thought what the heck, and ran a Google search on the serial number and found...

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...HOOTOUT!-1940-147-K98k-vs-1939-Ishevek-M91-30

Apparently the previous owner had gone to some painstaking lengths to correct some incorrect elements on the gun.

"K98k: 1940, 147 (5208g), Mitchell rearsenaled RC. Yes, MITCHELL. I admit it. I have served my penance by de-Mitchellizing it; matching: receiver, barrel, front sight. Beyond the re-stamped non-WaA parts, I replaced any non WaA37 part with correct ones (follower, ejector box, firing pin, trigger, sear), found a pair of "08" trigger screws and WaA37 capture screws. Stock looks correct, laminate/flat butt-plate, but is a Weimar WaA63 10" stock. Good plus barrel, reproduction sling, original WaA37 sight cover."

Weird huh. Anyone else ever have a similar situation? :thumbsup:

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I reached out to the original owner of this gun in MA, confirmed what I saw in his postings which was evident from the gun itself. He had put just over $950 into the gun that I then paid $450 for.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I reached out to the original owner of this gun in MA, confirmed what I saw in his postings which was evident from the gun itself. He had put just over $950 into the gun that I then paid $450 for.

Sort of like restoring a car........probably would have been more cost effective to buy a correct example. But sounds like he had fun in the process.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    Weird huh. Anyone else ever have a similar situation? :thumbsup:

I've swapped out stocks and various small parts on RC K98ks to get them to look more externally correct for their manufacture year, but I've never tried to get all the correct WaA parts or match serial #s. I've added the cleaning rods, locking screws and sight hoods (where applicable).

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I've swapped out stocks and various small parts on RC K98ks to get them to look more externally correct for their manufacture year, but I've never tried to get all the correct WaA parts or match serial #s. I've added the cleaning rods, locking screws and sight hoods (where applicable).

I have always thought there was a line there. Getting all the WAA parts (expensive) or replacing parts to restore a gun to original configure seems fine and I have been known to do it (especially recently). However, restamping ala mitchell is duplicitous in my opinion and undermines the market for other guns when they get resold.

VTX1800

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 29, 2011
    AA County
    I have always thought there was a line there. Getting all the WAA parts (expensive) or replacing parts to restore a gun to original configure seems fine and I have been known to do it (especially recently). However, restamping ala mitchell is duplicitous in my opinion and undermines the market for other guns when they get resold.

If you search around the right forums you can find people who will trade parts in order to get the right WaA stamped parts as well as just trade milled for stamped parts depending on what you need.

Restamping parts to # match is just plain despicable and has no legitimate
    purpose except to deceive a uneducated buyer. :mad54:

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    VTX1800 said:
    If you search around the right forums you can find people who will trade parts in order to get the right WaA stamped parts as well as just trade milled for stamped parts depending on what you need.

Restamping parts to # match is just plain despicable and has no legitimate
    purpose except to deceive a uneducated buyer. :mad54:

I agree on the restamping. I thought the parts looked too good on the gun to be restamps when I bought it, just took me a couple of years to discover the real story. I think the seller had it mislabeled when I bought it, I've been PM'ing with the original owner on his boards and apparently he sold it on GB for a bit more than I bought it for a few months after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom