• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hynes57

Aug 4, 2010
    Charles Town, WV
    Does anyone have any experience with this gun? I am looking for a 4 inch .357 revolver to go into the safe next to the bed so my wife has an easier to use and reliable firearm in case something pops off when i am not home to use my semi's. She knows how to use them as well but i would feel better knowing all she has to do is point and shoot.....not to mention i just want a wheel gun :) Actually she likes revolvers too...After she took her NRA class at Cresaps she told me straight out that the wheel guns are like "real" guns.

I have been torn between getting a GP100 and this gun. I have heard mixed reviews about Taurus but for the most part i hear they make good revolvers. While i know everyone would agree that the GP100 is the better gun i am trying to decide is it better to spend the $100+ more for the Ruger or get the Taurus. Doesn't seem like much money until you relaize we close on our first house this Thursday....

Thoughts?

Hynes57

Aug 4, 2010
    Charles Town, WV
    I was thinking this as well but i have read good reviews on the 66. i wanted to see if anyone on MDShooters had experience with it. I didn't want to base my purchase off people biases and that is what i see a lot of on the net. Buds currently has the Taurus for $387 and the GP100 or like $534. You think the Ruger to be $150 better than the Taurus?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    You think the Ruger to be $150 better than the Taurus?

Depends on if the Taurus factory sends out a good gun or a bad gun. Some folks get a gun that beats a S&W or Ruger, others get a block of metal that needs to be returned. Now saying that, Ruger also has had some QC issues in the last 2-3 years.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Now saying that, Ruger also has had some QC issues in the last 2-3 years.

True, but Ruger's customer service is legendary, so is Taurus's, but for very different reasons.

Honestly, the Gp-100 and S&W 686 are about as good as it gets for current production .357's. I love my Gp and it led me to buy several more Ruger revolvers. The only one that ever had to go back to Ruger was a surface rust issue on a stainless steel gun. Is it $150 better than a Taurus, I'd say yes and I've fired both guns.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    If I was looking in that price range I'd be buying a used Ruger in one of the "six" variations. Speed, Service, or Security are all head and shoulders above the Taurus in all aspects and cheaper than a new GP. The sixes are built on a smaller frame about the size of the Smith K frame but the reach to the trigger is shorter than a K frame. My wife can shoot my Service Six much easier in double action than she can shoot my Smith 66.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom