• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hynes57

Aug 4, 2010
    Charles Town, WV
    So i finally found time to start breaking down the 1928 Hex Mosin i got for Xmas. First off the freaking clips holding the barrel down were a monster! I have the gun completely apart except for the butt plate. The top butt plate screw has decided it does not want to come out...has anyone had this issue? I was literally sweating trying to turn that SOB! Right now i have the stock (butt plate included) wrapped in some old tshirts and sitting on my heater radiators. I am hoping as the cosmoline heats up the screw will get more agreeable...If not i will drill the thing out and to find a replacement.

1.) Anyone have this issue?
    2.) How easy is it to find a replacement butt stock screw?

Hynes57

Aug 4, 2010
    Charles Town, WV
    I will try that tongiht! I bought a bissel steamer..thing-a-majiggy...to steam stuff..off of woot a few years ago and needless to say it sits in the basement!! Time to earn its keep! I think i am going to use this to get out any dings as well.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    IMHO drilling it out should be the last option. Heat is good, steaming is good. If those don't work maybe try some liquid wrench type of thing. I had a stock bolt on my Enfield that I busted two screwdrivers trying to get loose. After a couple drops of LW and an hour letting it sit it came free as easily as a hot knife through butter. I doubt it would be that simple on a metal/wood interface as you are dealing with, but I'd try it before I resorted to drilling...

Don't be insulted please if I point out that you do want to be careful to use a good screwdriver that fits right, though. Nothing going on here that stripping the screw head will help... I've done that experiment:innocent0

Hynes57

Aug 4, 2010
    Charles Town, WV
    I used a oversized craftsman (it fills up the entire screw slot) screwdriver and still no luck. I will try the steam approach. I do not want to drill but will not let a stupid screw ruin my good time. I didn't buy the Mosin strictly as a collector so i will replace the screw if any sign of stripping appears and wont feel too badly i don't have the original screw.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    If all else fails you can always try to deepen the screw slot using a dremel, then use the LW or similar to loosen it up.

Bryan

Mrhyde

Capitalist-Pig
    May 22, 2010
    Bel Air MD
    That's a very coarse thread screw. Buymilsurp has them for $3 per.

No joke! that screw has some serious teeth on it. I have 4 war era Mosins and every one of them has been a bugger and a half to remove.

I think you're on the right path trying to sweat/steam it out.

It takes more umph than you'd expect but it will turn eventually.

Good luck

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Try to tap on the end of the screw driver with a hammer as you turn it. Not to hard but hard enough to know your hitting it. This impact action may help break it loose. Once you get the screw out make sure to put a little wax on the threads. This will help keep them from locking up again.

Mdeng

downwind65

Jan 10, 2010
    Baltimore Co.
    Go to a automotive store and get a tube of valve grinding compound. Pack it in the screw head then put your screwdriver in the screw and TAP it a few times with a hammer. The VGC is Very coarse and will fill the gaps and help the screwdriver from slipping. I use this technique all the time in the automotive industry. Hope this helps. Good luck

jodavk

Nov 30, 2010
    +1 on the tapping. If you have a hair dryer, they work great for spot heating. I've had luck with stuck, old, wood screws by actually giving a short hard turn tightening first. then, try loosening again...sometimes you have to go back and forth a couple times to get them loose. Just make sure that the slot is deep...and push down on it so as not to strip. Good Luck.

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    So i finally found time to start breaking down the 1928 Hex Mosin i got for Xmas. First off the freaking clips holding the barrel down were a monster! I have the gun completely apart except for the butt plate. The top butt plate screw has decided it does not want to come out...has anyone had this issue? I was literally sweating trying to turn that SOB! Right now i have the stock (butt plate included) wrapped in some old tshirts and sitting on my heater radiators. I am hoping as the cosmoline heats up the screw will get more agreeable...If not i will drill the thing out and to find a replacement.

1.) Anyone have this issue?
    2.) How easy is it to find a replacement butt stock screw?

Just curious , but why would you ever need to remove the buttplate from the stock ?

Hynes57

Aug 4, 2010
    Charles Town, WV
    I removed the buttplate because i am refinishing the stock. There will be no sissy rubber buttpads. Intstead i will buy another 91/30 and do the monte carlo stock to get a more "modern" Mosin to add to this more traditional looking one.

As for the screw...that son-of-gun wasnt moving and it was getting pretty stripped...even after 3 days on my radiators...So i broke down and bought a nice stripped screw remover kit. The bits have one side for drilling a small hole in the screw and the other side for grabbing onto said hole and turning out. Perfect!! The screw is out and no damage at all to the wood. I am ordering a replacement as we speak.

As for the rest of the rifle. All metal parts have been removed and are soaking in some mineral spirits (the barrel had a quick cleaning and hoppes elite oil added to keep it from rusting before i could get to removing all the cosmo and giving it a good cleaning). The stock was stripped of all cosmo with days and days of heat and wiping and a purple power bath. I stripped the old finish with formby's (that stuff is awesome! however, when it says use rubber gloves it means rubber and not nitrile as formbys laughed at them..).

I am currently letting the stock dry. There are some dark spots on it from the years of cosmo or what not so i bought some savogran wood bleach and will be doing that tonight or this weekend. After thaT i will hit the stock with some pre-stain solution and then i am using Minwax Sedona Red stain. I will finish everything up with the 7-12-1 process with BLO.

rogue780

Jan 16, 2011
    Dundalk
    I removed the buttplate because i am refinishing the stock. There will be no sissy rubber buttpads. Intstead i will buy another 91/30 and do the monte carlo stock to get a more "modern" Mosin to add to this more traditional looking one.

As for the screw...that son-of-gun wasnt moving and it was getting pretty stripped...even after 3 days on my radiators...So i broke down and bought a nice stripped screw remover kit. The bits have one side for drilling a small hole in the screw and the other side for grabbing onto said hole and turning out. Perfect!! The screw is out and no damage at all to the wood. I am ordering a replacement as we speak.

As for the rest of the rifle. All metal parts have been removed and are soaking in some mineral spirits (the barrel had a quick cleaning and hoppes elite oil added to keep it from rusting before i could get to removing all the cosmo and giving it a good cleaning). The stock was stripped of all cosmo with days and days of heat and wiping and a purple power bath. I stripped the old finish with formby's (that stuff is awesome! however, when it says use rubber gloves it means rubber and not nitrile as formbys laughed at them..).

I am currently letting the stock dry. There are some dark spots on it from the years of cosmo or what not so i bought some savogran wood bleach and will be doing that tonight or this weekend. After thaT i will hit the stock with some pre-stain solution and then i am using Minwax Sedona Red stain. I will finish everything up with the 7-12-1 process with BLO.

Might I make a request? If you're going to make a sporterized mosin, buy a barreled receiver and start from there rather than starting with a complete rifle and killing a piece of history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom