• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    First like other's have said take a hunters safety course. I would not reccomend Tioga as it's a "canned hunt". I'm pretty much done deer hunting for the year and been mostly duck and goose hunting. If you would ever like to tag along just send me a PM.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Jim Sr. ,

A semi-hunting-related question for you....

Landowners in Maryland may hunt on their own land without a hunting licence, provided they abide by all laws, rules, seasons, bag limits, etc.

The question is this:
    Would the landowner still need to complete the Hunter Safety Course requirement before hunting his own land, sans license?

I know it would still be a good idea, just wondering, legally, if they need to?
    http://www.dnr.state.md.us/nrp/hunter_education.asp
    Note: Persons under the age of 18 hunting on family property when a license is not required, must have a Certificate of Competency in Firearms and Hunter Safety.

Adults = ?

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/pdfs/2010_2011_MDHuntGuide.pdf

Contact the Department of Natural Resources

When you need assistance from DNR-Online you will always find someone happy to answer your questions and help you find the services or products you need. Our customer service representatives are the backbone of your online experience and have been specially trained to help you.

You can reach customer service at DNR four ways:

• Email: customerservice@dnr.state.md.us
    • Telephone: Call toll-free in Maryland at 1-877-620-8DNR (8367) (Weekdays 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.)

Out of State: 410-260-8DNR (8367) (Weekdays 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.) TTY users call via the MD Relay 711

• By US Mail:
      Maryland Department of Natural Resources
      580 Taylor Avenue
      Tawes State Office Building
      Annapolis, MD 21401
    The information you provide will be kept private and we recommend that you review our privacy policy if you wish.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I have been involved, as a Hunting Safty Instructor, for about 25 years now.

Thanke for your comment! :)

No problem. I assume you didn't read my previous post LOL. I already offered the link to the same page you did. My comment was a joke, so, don't take it the wrong way.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I didn't start hunting until I was about 28 either. Only person that ever hunted in my family was my grandfather, and he quit loooong before I ever got the urge.

I went and took the hunter's safety course (as others have mentioned), scoped out the local public hunting areas, got some gear, and went out. I didn't invest too much since I wasn't sure if I would like it......since then I've spent a LOT more money and have plans for even more :lol2:. There were enough people around me that hunted that I could talk to about it to pick up pointers, and I joined a few hunting message boards to pick up some more info. I searched Youtube for videos on how to field-dress a deer, and had someone show me how to butcher one. I was succsessful before I knew it.

Now, the hunter's safety class does not teach you HOW to hunt, it just teaches you how to do it SAFELY. There are also classes out there that teach you the how, and I hear they are highly recommended. I had planned to take one early on, but I dove so fast headfirst into hunting, that I developed my own strategies that seemed to work (although I'm suffering at this point in the year because all my deer are nocturnal :o ).

The best thing you can do is take the class, get your license, and get out there.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I am just starting out hunting also. I'm getting the hunter safety course this spring and the license afterwards. Then I'm planning on hunting crow first (please don't ask if I'm going to "Eat Crow" cause I ain't). Scope out the Frederick watershed for a roost. Stalk the lil bastards with my orange beanie on and make my first notch. Then it's on to turkey, fox and/or coyote. Then rabbit because they are some tasty lil buggers. Mostly I just want to roam the forest and investigate. I actually don't care if I make a kill but I want to learn the animals habitat and tendencies (kinda like man tracker but for animals). Anywho a hunting I will go. I am doing allot of research in the meantime.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I am just starting out hunting also. I'm getting the hunter safety course this spring and the license afterwards. Then I'm planning on hunting crow first (please don't ask if I'm going to "Eat Crow" cause I ain't). Scope out the Frederick watershed for a roost. Stalk the lil bastards with my orange beanie on and make my first notch. Then it's on to turkey, fox and/or coyote. Then rabbit because they are some tasty lil buggers. Mostly I just want to roam the forest and investigate. I actually don't care if I make a kill but I want to learn the animals habitat and tendencies (kinda like man tracker but for animals). Anywho a hunting I will go. I am doing allot of research in the meantime.

Now we're talking, you'll have to come down and spend the night one weekend and we'll go bust some crows at the farm. I'm getting my crow stuff together this weekend and I'll be back out there this Wednesday on the prowl for some crow.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    I was figuring i would wait until next season as most people probably have plans and most outfitters were probably booked. Also, i figured it would give me time to get any equipment i didnt have and learn to use it :) I will check out that site!

Don't worry too much about equipment--- it will come in time--- if you've got a suitable gun for what you're hunting, you should have enough to get you rolling...

Look at these pics for an idea of what you don't need---- these guys did ok without fancy camo clothes or 4-wheelers, etc....
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=47994

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    So what type of game would you like to go for would be my first question.
    This way we can get you started as to what basic gear you will need.
    This way you have time to practice the type of shooting needed.
    Do you have a shot gun?
    Get the hunter education under your belt.
    Then we can help you get out next year.

corelokt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 13, 2010
    parkville
    safty course. gun or bow sight in. read hunting in MD. guide(know the laws) practice safty.. If you use a tree stand always wear a harness. I always carry a cell phone(ringer off) when I hunt. I hunt alone alot,if you do, try to let someone know where you will be and when you will be back. get in the woods and wait. ONly take the shot if your sure you can make it. never ever assume a miss. look for blood and don't give up to easily. be safe!! ITs not complicated ,scout an area, then go sit in the woods.

Jan 26, 2011
    Hancock, MD
    1)hunters safety course
    2)proficient with your appropriate weapon of choice for desired game
    3)always be safe
    4)research the humane kill areas (head shots always) for you game species

know and do these 4 things. then go sit in the woods. as my brother says "just pick a spot that you wouldnt think is a good spot and youll see something. dont over analyze." enjoy mother nature bc its the only renewable resourse we have that we humans havent totally screwed up yet. youll never forget your first kill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom