• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    One County? I didn't know that. Growing up, our entire State (NJ) was buckshot only and you couldn't shoot slugs until about 1980 or so. I don't hunt deer in Maryland and the only driven deer I shoot are Sikas (driven or run by dogs). Buckshot works well in that situation. Much rather shoot deer out West with a .270, but that's a different topic. Even for slugs, I would prefer open sights on running deer.... maybe a peep.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    I drove deer for a lot of years. You won't gain anything with the automatic over the pump. A rifled barrel would be personal preference but not needed. For the normal distances when driving most smooth bores will do fine. You will need to shoot your gun like stated above to see what it likes. I'd stick with open sights but I use a 4x scope with success.

Find a way to practice on moving targets. Like rolling a tire down a hill with a target taped to it. Learning to lead is more important that pumps or automatics, rifled or smooth bore and scoped or open sights. I generally lead to around a deers nose or a little further but level with the vitals and this seems to put them in the boiler room.

In no way should you use buckshot. Other than being illegal it's barely marginal for standing deer let alone deer at full alert moving full speed through woods. I've seen way too many crippled because of it.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I'm an idiot some times. I don't know what I was thinking. You are right. 16 is between 12 and 20. I need to go back to school.
    Sorry

Damifinow fish

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Well it looks like I have a start. I'm gonna grab a few different slugs, and run them through the barrel I have now at 25, 50, and hopefully 75 yards. If I'm happy with the results I'll stick with it. If not at least I got some practice and will seek a rifled barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom