• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I do like visiting West Virginia, lots of good hiking, horseback riding, historical stuff, gun stuff, and Charles Towne races and slots.

Last weekend I was on vacation in the area and saw as shirt at a marina that said: Welcome to West Virginia, if you hear banjo music, paddle faster:D

Maxx

Apr 4, 2009
    Does anyone know if you can get a WV C.C. Permit if they only own land?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    In WV there are different residency requirements. One is for the ability to file for divorce there and that is one year. The other is for the drivers license and that just requires proof or residency including utility bills and a physical mailing address which is not a PO box as I understand it. There are probably more and conflicting ones.

HOwever, there is some court precedent for WV as I am reading this:
    "Domicile" includes residence with an intention to remain, but no length of residence without intention of remaining constitutes "domicile." Andrews v. Mundy, 14 S. E. 414, 417, 36 W. Va. 22; Munroe v. Williams. 16 S. E. 533, 535, 37 S. C. 81, 19 L. R. A. 665. It has been said that every person has in law a "domicile," or home, and that the original domicile can only be lost by the acquisition of another. It is acquired by act and intention. The intention gives character and effect to the act, as where a new abode is taken up with the intention to abandon the old one. Morgan v. Munes, 54 Mis. 308, 310.

"The 'domicile' is the habitation fixed in any place with an intention of always staying there, while simple 'residence' is much more temporary in its character. No lenght of residence without the intention of remaining constitutes 'domicle.'" A person's domicle may be one place, while his residence for the time being may be another. [citation ommitted for brevity]

The true basis and foundation of domicile is the intention, the quo animo, of the residence of a person. The apparent or avowed intention of the constant residence, not the manner of it, constitutes a "domicile" [citation ommited]....

...[skip a lot]...

....There is a difference between "domicile" and "residence." "Residence" is used to indicate the place of abode, whether permanent or temporary. "Domicile" denotes a fixed permananent residence to which, when absent, one has intention f returning. "Domicile" is composed of two elements, residence and inention, and both of these must concur. "Redsidence," without the requisite intention to remain, will not suffice to give one a domicile, nor will an intention to change one's domicile, unaccompanied by actual removal, constitute a "domicile". [citation ommitted].

"Residence" and "domicile" do not have the same meaning. The first is used to indicate the place of dwelling, whether permanent or temporary; the second to denote a fixed permanent residence to which, when absent, one has the intention of returning. The distinction is the same as is sometimes made between "actual residence" and "legal residence" or "inhabitancy". The actual residence is not always the legal residence or inhabitancy of a man.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=2Y...&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5#PPA2173,M1

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Does anyone know if you can get a WV C.C. Permit if they only own land?

No, you have to be a permanent resident of West Virginia to get a CC permit. They do not offer non-resident permits. Also, land owners that are not residents must purchase out of state hunting license to hunt in WV, even on their own land, but if a permanent resident, you do not need a license to hunt on your own land.

Maxx

Apr 4, 2009
    Thanks for the info, I sure was hoping...:D

Neighbors to my property have some pictures of a few bears wandering around, so it would make me feel a little more at ease having something at my side while hiking the area.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Thanks for the info, I sure was hoping...:D

Neighbors to my property have some pictures of a few bears wandering around, so it would make me feel a little more at ease having something at my side while hiking the area.

Hey Maxx, Open carry is legal in West Virginia, so you could still be covered.

Maxx

Apr 4, 2009
    I guess I've lived in MD to long, I wouldn't feel comfortable walking around with my 6 shooters on my hips, besides my property almost buts up against the MD state line. :-(

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    No, you have to be a permanent resident of West Virginia to get a CC permit. They do not offer non-resident permits. Also, land owners that are not residents must purchase out of state hunting license to hunt in WV, even on their own land, but if a permanent resident, you do not need a license to hunt on your own land.

Hi Pushrod: Since WV recently changed their residency law (effective on July 10), will WV then accept the FL Non-resident CCW permit?
    Thanks.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Hi Pushrod: Since WV recently changed their residency law (effective on July 10), will WV then accept the FL Non-resident CCW permit?
    Thanks.

Yep, West Virginia has recipriocity with Florida and come July 10th, non-resident Florida CCW holders will have their permits honored in West Virginia. I can't wait! :thumbsup:

ACMAN

Jan 24, 2011
    Maryland
    I know this is an old thread but I want to run something by you guys. I know that it is illegal to shoot a firearm closer than 500 feet from a home.
    OK. Got that.
    Can I be 501' away from my home with the firearm, discharge the firearm at a target that is less than 500' away from my home.
    The way my property is set up I can get my bench more than 500' away from the house but the target will be about 150-175' from the house. I do have an earthen bullet trap that I can use.
    Technically I am more than 500' away when the firearm is disharged. :innocent0
    Am I splitting hairs here?
    What do you guys think?

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    I live in WV and fire from my deck. I dont think you will have any issues with the 500' law unless someone else complains. That is why it is good to know your neighbors. Mine know that I know where the homes are and are not and I know the same of them. Just be safe and you wont have any issues. Heck down here some HOA's are more of a pain than the law. But HOA's only have civil recourse as long as you are obeying the law, so not really much of an issue.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    ACMAN;1918242 Can I be 501' away from my home with the firearm said:
    there is a distance law in Virginia. but it relates to homes of others, NOT your home. i suspect it's the same wording/intent in the WV laws, but of course you should read the wording closely.

ACMAN

Jan 24, 2011
    Maryland
    No HOA :D Neighbors are great and fairly far away. I'll invite the neighbors over for a target shooting cookout. :gun1::gun1:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I would presume that you would give permission to yourself to shoot near your own house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom