• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Looks like I have to buy a new pocket knife. My every day carrier seems to have gotten misplaced. I have a Benchmade Griptilian as a back up, but do not like it. The grip is so textured that its very hard to clip in my pocket. Its a pain in the ass to get it in and out.

I'm going with the SOG Aegis or a Kershaw, but am torn if I should get a tanto blade or not. What do you guys think?

Any pros and cons for either?

I have never had a tanto, always straights, and they have always been good to me, but the look of the tanto has been catching my eye.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Tanto points were designed to punch through bamboo armor. I have three blades with tanto points. I like the look, but I'm not battling any samurai at this point. They do well punching through cardboard, if you need to do that.

Jim

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    Just bought a kershaw blur tanto this morning. debated about that or the drop-point. I figured when I use my pocket knife I use mainly just the first 1/32" so the blade didn't matter much for normal stuff. Like the way it looks and has better penetration

Charybdis69

May 20, 2008
    Takoma Park, MD
    Depends on what you'll use it for. Only problem that I can think of is that the 'belly' point of the tanto blade may be difficult to sharpen - you may end up w/ a rounded blade after a while.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I think for self defense a tanto blade would be great because they are said to be better for piercing and slashing. But a normal blade would probably be better for food preparation and everyday small cutting chores. It really comes down to personal preference and intended use. I actually carry both normal blades and tanto blades.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    if you have a tanto blade, when cutting against a surface, it will wear down the corner on the blade rounding it. eventually it will look like a normal blade. i have 3 tanto and will not buy another. i reground one to a normal profile, works way better.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Tanto all the way. Love my Benchmade Stryker. To keep the shape of the blade just pay attention to that corner when you sharpen it. A Lansky kit will maintain a razor edge and keep your blade in shape. Mine was issued in 2000 and it it still going strong.

YellowLT

Only shoots 6mm plastic
    May 6, 2010
    South Carolina
    I carry two on my a SOG Trident and a Kershaw Blackout. Depending on where I am and what company is around determines which one I use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nestor875

Latest threads

Top Bottom