• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Somehow or another I knew you would say that, you made a similar comment on another thread about me wanting a scope with a bit higher power and you didn't see the need for it though it suited my needs and it's what I wanted.

One day I'll become an expert marksman, have outstanding vision, be rock solid, and not want a higher power scope. I'll be able to shoot 1000 yards and hit a fly with iron sights.:innocent0

My answer should have been (since I knew in the back of my head what you would say again) is "because I want it":D

I know your just trying to help, but I always feel you knock people for wanting higher power scopes.:o

Only because I was exactly the same way until someone forced me to understand why it wasn't necessary and in most cases (especially hunting) was detrimental. I don't try to knock anyone, I only offer advice that I feel is helpful. Besides I won't get butt hurt if you don't take my advice. Have you considered a straight 6x scope? That's a good long range shotgun scope.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Only because I was exactly the same way until someone forced me to understand why it wasn't necessary and in most cases (especially hunting) was detrimental. I don't try to knock anyone, I only offer advice that I feel is helpful. Besides I won't get butt hurt if you don't take my advice. Have you considered a straight 6x scope? That's a good long range shotgun scope.

I had one on my HBAR, but it was a cheapo (big mistake I was young and dumb). The 6x wasn't a mistake, but the crappy scope was. I actually really liked it, but no I did not consider a 6x scope for my shotgun. Part of the reason is probably because when I was looking I don't remember seeing one. I pretty much had my heart set on Leupold and ended up with a 3-9 VXII. In the woods I usually leave my scope around 6 or 7, but have taken it up to 9 at times.

butt hurt :lol:

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    That's a good scope. My father is in the market for one for his Savage 220F. I talked him into the DMS-1 for his 870 and he killed a doe at 170 yards with it. He wants a 3x9 for this one and I'm probably not gonna talk him out of it. Loopy has some kind of special shotgun reticle scope. Did you look at that one?

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    That's a good scope. My father is in the market for one for his Savage 220F. I talked him into the DMS-1 for his 870 and he killed a doe at 170 yards with it. He wants a 3x9 for this one and I'm probably not gonna talk him out of it. Loopy has some kind of special shotgun reticle scope. Did you look at that one?

The Ultimate Slam scope? My buddy has it, but I've been told by a few very reliable sources that its a muzzle loader scope, not a shotgun scope like most people think. I'm not really sure. I do know my buddy got scoped 3 times by it, eye relief was bad for him.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    That's one of the primary reasons I like 1-4x scopes on shotguns. The scope I saw was supposed to have a reticle that was designed for sabot slugs. I was curious if it had VX1 or VX2 glass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom