• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Thank God thats over and done with. I hate waiting all day and then @ 4 tell me I can go home. What a waste of time I hope the guy gets the book thrown at him in the case I almost got selected for bc he wasted a good day for me to sit there and sleep and watch Father of the Bride.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I was summoned for jury duty while at basic training. I sent them my orders and got out of it.

I would have gone had I been home. It's your duty as a citizen. Better you than some idiot jerk :P

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    being judged by 12 people no smart enough to get out of jury duty is something everyone should be worried about!

Luckily I made an impression the first time I was call, and I'm no longer called!

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Thread from the dead! I got summoned AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WTF?!?!? 18, 21, now 24... I think I may be able to get out of it this time because its been less than 3 years since I last had jury duty. Why the F does this state insist on summoning me every 3 years? Must be because I'm registered Republican...

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Must be because I'm registered Republican...

Dang Redneck. You need to move up to Harford. I got notified once that I needed to call on Sunday afternoon to see if I needed to report on Monday. I didn't have to go.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Thread from the dead! I got summoned AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WTF?!?!? 18, 21, now 24... I think I may be able to get out of it this time because its been less than 3 years since I last had jury duty. Why the F does this state insist on summoning me every 3 years? Must be because I'm registered Republican...

I hope you like Meryl Streep. The movie they give you to watch while you wait is "Music of the Heart" about a woman teaching music to inner city kids......it's been the only flick on their playlist for years...

BTW, all the time I lived in MD, I was NEVER summoned for jury duty.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    “We have a criminal jury system which is superior to any in the world; and its efficiency is only marred by the difficulty of finding twelve men every day who don't know anything and can't read.” ~ Mark Twain

Nowadays, replace "men" with "people who watch Oprah and The View". :D

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Been called to the courthouse, but not selected to be enpaneled. One time I think they thought I was too predisposed against armed robbers, another time just missed to cut off.
    My contract allow me full pay for jury duty, and I'd enjoy it more than going to work.
    What is really interesting, about 15yrs ago Mrs Biggfoot got picked for Grand Jury Duty. I told her they could ignore the SA, order him to bring all information about the black on hispanic robbery/ murder that had happened recently in Luarel, with eye to issueing indictments for felony Murder , and Civil rights violations rather than Jack Johnson's attitude of "Boys will be boys, it was all an accident, we'll just send them home" .

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I had jury duty once back in 1997. I was picked because the defense attorney ran out of juror objections and the prosecution picked me. I was wearing a coat and tie.......ie, conservative looking white male, and the trial was for an armed car jacking of a taxi. The defendant and his accomplice did the crime in the huge snow storm of 1996. He crashed the taxi and started walking. The police caught them and followed the tracks in the snow back to the taxi. Not a very tough case, but deliberations among the mostly female jury members took over 2 hours. The defense attorney wanted women on the jury who would hopefully be sympathetic to the poor misguided young man. Fortunately, we found the little a$$ guilty and he got 10 years. The judge said after the trial that we made the right decision, and that this was a very bad guy.

I have not been called for jury duty again.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I was summoned and went downtown but was not selected. Nice day. Paid leave from work, went over to the Rams Head and had a crab cake sandwich and a beer for lunch with the $15 they gave us.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury

The same thing happens to me...I think I've gotten about 4 letters. Two I've been able to get out of because it was too soon after they wasted a day of my life the last time...I've never made it to the courtroom...never even been asked any questions. Always been sent home after waiting for hours in the jury waiting room.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    In the last 5 years. Have had to show up in State court 3 times.
    all times never being selected to sit.
    Your day ends up sitting around till 2pm watching old videos and reading magazines.

Once haveing to show up for federal duty in Balto city. What a pain that was with travel and parking.
    You need to show up for at least 4 days to find out if you might be selected to actually sit in the jury.
    The few times I've actually been interveiwed by the judge and lawyers about my "views" concerning the case at trial.
    Everytime I was dismissed. Yes I was honest about my veiws and did'nt talk garbage like race,religion,ect.

They are very selective to be certain they choose a jury memeber who agree's with their clients argument so you might vote in favor of their client as to if or if not they get off free.

The whole process,to me seems flawed. As if the lawyers are trying to stack the deck in favor of their client.
    To allow the lawyers to pick and choose whom they want to sit in the jury, just seems wrong.

Pick the first 12 jurers reguardless. Let them hear the case then decide.
    Might we get more honest and fair judgments this way?

I was told your selected for State jury dudy due to your drivers license renewal.
    Federal duty due to if you voted or not.

Not a perfect system,but still better then most:)

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    The same thing happens to me...I think I've gotten about 4 letters. Two I've been able to get out of because it was too soon after they wasted a day of my life the last time...I've never made it to the courtroom...never even been asked any questions. Always been sent home after waiting for hours in the jury waiting room.

Yea the time when I was 18 I kept postponing and postponing, but finally had to call in and my number wasn't called. Then when I was 21 I was called and had to go in all day, we watched Second Hand Lions, made it to the courtroom, but not on the jury. Now here I am less than 3 years later and get called again....

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I keep getting jury duty summons' for Baltimore County in the mail. In the past 3 years I have recieved four summons and dodged the bullet each time. My call number keeps getting lower so Im guessing Im about due to be called in and enjoy a day of $15 and free parking. Well when I opened the letter I got pissed bc I knew what it was again... I threw away the mail back envelope for the questionere they send. I have tried looking online for the address, no luck and the phone number is busy??? Does anybody know the address that Im suppoesed to reply to?

Thanks

This is why you keep getting them...

njbroug

Feb 6, 2009
    Laurel
    I've never been called for jury duty. I think it'd be interesting, and I'd get paid from work, so I'd probably be excited if I got the summons.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    It must be a party affiliation thing.

I have been independent (i.e. 'unaffiliated') since age 18 (30 years), have gotten a notice one time (18 years ago)... I showed up and was sent home after 2 hours, and have never gotten another notice.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I went one time and it was the biggest waste of time, they denied me twice for cases because of "conflict of interest" in the cases, so the lawyers don't want you on the jury if you have had an experience related to the case, it's makes you lean towards one side or the other.

With all due respect, jury duty should be held for those who are retired or something else, like here in this country trying to earn a citizenship legally, but, to tie up the lives of people who have bills to pay that require more than $15.00 a day is ridiculous.

They say it is my "right" to be part of a jury and I should appreciate that "right"... OK, well I appreciate the offer but I'd like to forfeit my right and get the hell back to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom