• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Freezer are not made away near as good as they use to be, picked up a chest freezer 2nd hand that was 10 years old and kept in my basement, I bought a new one just in case the old one crapped out. After 5 years the new one stopped working for no reason, took old one to Florida with me 3 years ago, it still freezes to -10 degrees. After 18 year it is still works great. Who even said new is better hasn't been around long enough to prove it.

Bad news for you. That’s the law of averages.

Yes, some parts of fridges and freezers are not as well made. But that reduction in quality predates that freezer of yours. It went down in the 80s and 90s. Not recently.

And the scroll motors in compressors these days are typically better than those of older compressors. QA on the lines however is much lower than decades ago.

But it is still a bell curve. Hit a year or two and odds are excellent it’ll last decades.

So far in my life I’ve had 8 fridge-freezers and a chest freezer, including mini fridges, not including appliances in rentals or dorms, with a total of probably 50 appliance years between them all.

I’ve had one die and the compressor was replaced days within the 1 year warranty and it was still going strong when I just sold my rental a few months ago with I think 12 or 13 years in the replacement compressor.

None of the rest have died.

I have a friend who has had 3 or 4 die on him over a decade.

Typically with no manufacturing defect and not abused (IE kept in a really warm place), the type of compressor used for refrigeration in a residential fridge or freezer is a 15-25 year expected life. Old or new. Does better than that, great. Worse, than that sucks. Just taking an average.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If it matters, chest freezers tend to be significantly more energy efficient.

You lose less cold air when you open it is part of it, but the compressor/condenser layout and insulation thickness are also different enough to play in to that efficiency (been a bit since I looked at it, but figure $60-90 a year for a ~17-20cu-ft upright freezer in electric use somewhere like a conditioned basement. Similar size chest freezer figure $35-50 a year.

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    I cant decide what style of freezer yet, but I want a freezer.

Unfortunately I didn't really pay attention to my garage temperatures this year. I'm worried the summer time would be a little to rough for your average freezer in a attached but un-insulated/temperature controlled garage.

Any advice or horror stories?

I live in Florida. With a magic chef freezer in my garage. No issues whatsoever. Youll be fine.

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    I'm currently the only person I know that has the freezer inside the house, seems like most people keep them in a garage, shed, porch ect.I noticed the freezer/fridge we bought for the kitchen a few years ago said garage ready. Our first freezer was over 20 years old when it left. It spent the first 15+ in a garage. I thought it died after a transformer on the pole out front exploded, ran out bought a new one, plugged it in, nothing…. GFI I didn't even know existed tripped. Passed the old apparently good freezer on to someone else. Current freezer is on a circuit dedicated to the pantry. If the breaker trips the pantry lights go out. The current freezer is a Frigidaire upright 7 years or so old.Upright so you can see what is in it, energy efficient doesn't mean much if the food on the bottom is 4 years old and freezer burnt. I plan to buy a backup for an out building when availability improves, just haven't decided electric powered by solar/batteries or a propane appliance.

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    I fixed my statement for anyone who's freezer location I wasn't considering in my thoughts. I wasn't considering people I have never met in my original statement. In the context of freezer locations "people I can think of" is mainly close friends and family. Definitely only thinking of people that I know their real name and probably address as well.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I am not sure I would put the freezer in the garage. That is the first place they would look for the body.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    We have an upright freezer that was in the basement of my previous house for at least the 20 years I lived there (dunno how long it had already been there). We moved to a house with a garage; it came with us and has happily lived in the garage for the last nearly 2 years.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Get 2 small ones in case one takes a crap. Plug them in different outlets.
    I have 2 and a 3rd on the way.
    Make one of them an upright. MUCH easier to access stuff.
    Not sure about the garage.

^^^This. We have two and I spread the food out between the two. The new ones cost very little to run. The smaller 7cu/ft freezers can hold a surprising amount of food.

Something to keep in mind is that appliances, especially freezers, have been in high demand over the past 8 months, availability is spotty right now.

We moved back in June and the previous owners left behind an upright freezer in the garage. We didn't need two fridges (both w/ freezers) and three freezers so we sold the upright on Facebook Marketplace. It was literally gone out of our garage in less than two hours of listing it and my wife had over 40+ inquiries and a list of takers on stand by.

Regarding placing it in the garage, make sure you get one that is designed for the garage and has two thermostats or you will have problems with it in the winter as the compressor won't run and your food will start to defrost.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    I cant decide what style of freezer yet, but I want a freezer.

Unfortunately I didn't really pay attention to my garage temperatures this year. I'm worried the summer time would be a little to rough for your average freezer in a attached but un-insulated/temperature controlled garage.

Any advice or horror stories?

Mine has been in the garage for several years. Knock on wood it is doing fine, through summer and winter.

JB01

Nov 11, 2017
    We have had an upright freezer in our basement for 20+ years. We also have two dehumidifiers in the basement. I believe your freezer will last longer in the basement than in a garage and even longer in a dehumidified basement.
    JB

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    IF a freezer is in the garage and it goes below freezing in the garage (does not happen at my house) . how is it bad if the freezer does not come on as long as your not putting warm things in it?

I have a freezer for fish bait in another property and the house gets down to 60F and the garage may not get to freezing but close to it. IT stays on and closed all winter.

If I have a freezer lasting 10 years. I'll be happy about that.

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    I've had an upright in the garage for 22 years and it's working fine. Freezers are insulated to keep the cold in and the heat out. Now a refrigerator is a different animal. I have to make sure all the perishables are removed when the temperatures go down yo freezing it will shut down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom