• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    As title states. With all the nics check crap getting pushed thru various state legislators, the constant ammo shortage, and frankly I've been back and forth on starting reloading for a few years now..looking at buying a Dillon 550.

Anyhow, a good friend of mine has a father that has a TON of reloading stuff that was either barely used or is brand new, including a Dillon 550 and dies for a few calibers, brass, bullets, primers, powder, etc.

I hadn't planned to get a Dillon initially, was looking for a single stage as it was more cost effective, but kind of fell ass backwards into this Dillon deal.

Enough of my rambling/backstory... I have a general idea of what I'd need to set up a 550 from doing research on my own, but seeing as I've never reloaded a single round or watched someone do it in person. I was hoping an experienced guy on here wouldn't mind me pm them a spreadsheet of the stuff my buddy's dad is trying to offload and see what I *need* to get vs what would be convenient, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I’m too new to give advice, but I will encourage the purpose. I bought and learned on a Dillon 550. Don’t let people tell you that you need to learn on a single stage. You’ll be up and running in no time.

vipor5

Jul 9, 2020
    Maryland, Cheltenham
    You will enjoy the 550, though I also have a 650 and 1050 i do most of my pistol reloading on a 550. fairly simple process. getting your powder dispensing process consistent is probably the hardest part and check for consistency on a regular basis. you will enjoy a bullet feeder as I hope it has a case feeder and not just a case tube. You will love it.

Suggestion, Mount it securely to a very solid bench. Watch for over travel on the shell plate I often drag my finger to prevent over rotation once I get really cranking them out.

Congrats, You would also enjoy a single stage press if one should become available at a good price. Even the Lee hand press has many uses if even just de-capping during your Favorite old western movie.

Congrats! on a quality product.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Call Dillon. Their CS will send you any instructions on 550. Probably will send you the DVD or direct you to where you can watch or stream it.

Even with buying used, there lifetime no BS warranty still applies to you. If you're missing a spring or detent ball, they'll probably send you one for free. You just have to give them call.

tomcat7

Dec 1, 2018
    Callaway, MD
    Yeah I have 550B and haven't used it in a long time but used to have others reload without issue on it. Very easy to use and understand. Simple and reliable operation

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I would suggest getting a reloading manual. Read it, then read it again. Kabooming a firearm is bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Yeah thanks for the advice of reading about how to make an explosive that I'm about to put in my hand, before I actually make it. () Lol

I've done a good bit of research over the years in regard to this. Merely wanted a second set of experienced eyes to give it a look over. Once I get everything I'm going to have someone walk me through the process to make sure what I think I know is actually what I should know.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    the D550 is the perfect balance between a single stage and progressive. Run it as a single stage whilst learning and then move to progressive.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I started with a Dillon SDB for all my pistol ammo.
    Love that press. I have loaded 10's of thousands of rounds on it.
    I got a Lee Single Stage for all my rifle rounds. I don't shoot a lot of rifle and when I do, it is for accuracy. So I went single stage there...
    Found a deal on a 650 and added all the bells and whistles. Case feeder, Mini Mr. Bullet Feeder, upgrade kits for smoother operation and I can honestly say... Every nickel was worth it.
    Reloading is fun easy and fast.

You will not regret it if you get a Dillon. If anything ever happens... Customer service is "no questions asked" boom... Here is a new one.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    My 550B started life as a 450 that I won in a raffle. I upgraded it to a 550B with the frame change kit and other upgrades. From time to time I lust after higher throughput Dillons for .45acp & .223/5.56, e.g. 650. 750, 1050, 1100, but at no time am I thinking of not using my 550B. It gives me the control and flexibility that I prefer, and I can reload every variety of centerfire cartridge on it that I shoot.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I like the RL550B so much, I recently got a 2nd one (Used). Now I don’t have to swap primer bars when going back and forth between large and small.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    As title states. With all the nics check crap getting pushed thru various state legislators, the constant ammo shortage, and frankly I've been back and forth on starting reloading for a few years now..looking at buying a Dillon 550.

Anyhow, a good friend of mine has a father that has a TON of reloading stuff that was either barely used or is brand new, including a Dillon 550 and dies for a few calibers, brass, bullets, primers, powder, etc.

I hadn't planned to get a Dillon initially, was looking for a single stage as it was more cost effective, but kind of fell ass backwards into this Dillon deal.

Enough of my rambling/backstory... I have a general idea of what I'd need to set up a 550 from doing research on my own, but seeing as I've never reloaded a single round or watched someone do it in person. I was hoping an experienced guy on here wouldn't mind me pm them a spreadsheet of the stuff my buddy's dad is trying to offload and see what I *need* to get vs what would be convenient, etc.

I'll help you out. Send me a PM.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Just be careful if DA cuddles up while you bend over the press. There have been rumors .... :lol2::lol2::lol2:

Just messing. Good man DA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom