• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I have a -74 receiver and picked up a nice Polish kit. That said, this isn’t an AR and as Harry Callahan notes, a man should know his limitations. I don’t have any experience and am hesitant to buy a set of Toth tools for a single build. Anyone want to be my mentor? Alternatively, anyone know a reliable person to assemble?

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    If you decide to build, I have I set of the rivet jaws for the front trunnion and I also have the trigger guard riveting jig. If you would like, we could set up a time for you to stop by and use my press. I don't have all the tools, but we could definitely get your build started! Just curious, but are you trying to build a pistol or sbr?

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I think John at Duffy's Gun Room is pretty knowledgeable about AK's and could prob do the work for you.

I don't have an AK but everything he's done to my personal items has been top notch and at really great prices.

Hoons

May 15, 2019
    Watch some YouTube videos and read nicoroshi's books. Hardest part is setting the barrel pin

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Thank you, gentlemen, for some fine suggestions

If you decide to build, I have I set of the rivet jaws for the front trunnion and I also have the trigger guard riveting jig. If you would like, we could set up a time for you to stop by and use my press. I don't have all the tools, but we could definitely get your build started! Just curious, but are you trying to build a pistol or sbr?

I may try to take you up on this. I’m trying to get my ducks in a row so I can get on this mid-spring. My wife just had another spinal fusion so I have all four kids to care for the rest of this month and first couple weeks of April. I will pm you if the wife gives me a green light next month!

I think John at Duffy's Gun Room is pretty knowledgeable about AK's and could prob do the work for you.

I don't have an AK but everything he's done to my personal items has been top notch and at really great prices.

I’ve heard a lot about them, I’ll look them up. Cheers!

Where did you find a Polish kit and do they have any more?

If I ever find a kit and John is still at Duffy's, he would be my first choice to build out a 74.

Gunbroker, I’ll see if I can find the link to the guy selling, he had a couple up

Watch some YouTube videos and read nicoroshi's books. Hardest part is setting the barrel pin

That is what I have been doing. I’m just not sure I’m comfortable being a YouTube smith on a platform I have no experience with. It’s the things I don’t know that scare me... and this polish kit wasn’t cheap to f up if you know what I mean!

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    This is the kit I picked up:

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/854218706

I know I need to pick up a couple more parts for 922r compliance - plan to do that this month. From what I gather these kits are becoming harder and harder to find. Barrel is shiny, looks almost new (actually, all the parts do). The waiting process in putting this together is killing me!

Attachments

• 8AC04F09-1114-485B-A3AA-1C5D5314E14C.jpg
      8AC04F09-1114-485B-A3AA-1C5D5314E14C.jpg
      48.3 KB · Views: 230

Hoons

May 15, 2019
    If this is just for single build, I say pay someone to do it. That's a nice kit and I'd be not happy if I screwed it up. My 2 cents

Hoons

May 15, 2019
    But the barrel is populated so the hard part is done... but I'd still pay someone e else to do it than spending money on tools and potentially screwing it up

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

John did my AKM build with a Russian parts kit. He did a very nice job. I think it was $600 or so. I was happy to pay with the quality of work he did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom