• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Huh? Zero means making it "dead on" at that distance. You should be able to zero a scope the same way as irons. It will then shoot slightly higher than your crosshair until somewhere between 200 and 300 yards.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    For an AR at about 3000 fps, I use a 50 yard zero which allows about a 6" difference from 25 to 300 yards.
    [EDIT] i.e. 3" high to 3" low at 300 yards.

Last edited:

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Or, look at it this way; if you use a 50 yard zero, then you will be ~1.2" low at 25 yards, dead on at 50 yards , ~1.5" high at 100 yards, ~.5" high at 200 yards.
    This^^. I just zeroed in my red dot at 50 last week. Then was hitting a bit high at 100, but I'm good with that. It's an open site so I like zero @50 and I'll just compensate for the other distance if needed.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You certainly * Can* zero scope at 25yds . The larger question is do you want to .

First question is mounting height. Is it co witnessed with your iron sights, or higher ?

Second question is , do you *want* both to be zero'ed the same ? Or do you have a different intended use for each sighting system ? Perhaps use irons for 0-200yds , and scope optimized for 300-500yds ?

( I'm also a fan of 50/200 zero , but that's a different discussion.)

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Also when you zero in iron sights at 25 yards are they done dead on at 25

Generally for a combat / battle sight zero (BZO) you adjust your sites for point of aim being point of zero. So yes dead on.

However you don’t have to do it this way. For example, many target shooters intentionally zero for point of aim being lower than point of zero so that they can more easily pick up their target (the old “pumpkin on a post” site picture). Benchrest shooters also will intentionally offset their point of aim to ensure that their site picture remains clean when shooting groups.

rob b

c@r collecting
    A friend of mine has 2 uppers one with sights one flat top with a scope

He has a lane in woods behind his house but it is 32 yards deep and it's his the rest belongs to his neighbors
    He has about 2 acres in a highly wooded area all farm and woods around

So he has the room for a 25 yard zero he asked me the questions I asked above

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Are not AR sights calibrated in meters ?

Yes - but ranges are not ;) The carry handle sights are calibrated for 3,4, 5, and 6 hundred meters. What range are you typically shooting at? I don't think it's going to matter for most shooters.

Since you asked; there's good info here on how to adjust carry handle sights so they work at closer ranges, and it is using a 50 yard zero, which most ranges have.

https://savannaharsenal.com/2017/04/08/how-to-zero-ar-15-a2-type-sights/

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So he has the room for a 25 yard zero he asked me the questions I asked above

If your objective is to zero the rifle but you only have 25 yards to work with, you can still zero the rifle for any range you want, you just have to know where at 25 yards the round should impact for that given zero. So for example, for a 50/220 yard zero, you will be about 3/4" low at 25 yards. [I picked an example based on a chart I found]

http://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/bullet.jpg

NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore
    San Diego Marine here. At Camp Pendleton we qualified at 200m, 300m, and 500m.

I was later stationed at Lejeune, where we qualified in yards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom