• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    Sorry to start an OT thread, but it is kind of gun related...

I'll be meeting up with an out of state friend to take in the Baltimore Gun Show in a couple weeks. He stated he wants a world class Maryland crab cake afterwards. Not being all that familiar with the Timonium area, I figured here would be a good place to ask for a recommendation.

Thanks!

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo

I'll be meeting up with an out of state friend to take in the Baltimore Gun Show in a couple weeks. He stated he wants a world class Maryland crab cake afterwards. Not being all that familiar with the Timonium area, I figured here would be a good place to ask for a recommendation.

Thanks!
    G&M in Linthicum. I took some out of towners there on Friday. They loved it.

wowmattsays

Oct 4, 2016
    Pappas is good, I will admit I have had their cakes many times and I have NEVER been led astray. HOWEVER! In Timonium, where I was born and raised, there is a place called Basta Pasta. Yes yes, I know it is Italian, however, it has some of the BEST crab cakes I have ever had. It is basically on the same damn block as the fair grounds, and the cakes are absolutely top notch. Highly recommend!

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    While you can may be able to buy crab cakes at any of the above places, it is not Maryland crabs this year. Are MD crabs superior to any other state's blue crab. Probably not, except everything from sweet corn to crabs is better a fresh as you can get it.

I will agree that other states take on crab cakes leave a lot to be desired.

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    Pappas in Cockeysville or Basta Pasta in Timonium both have excellent crab cakes and I have never had an issue with either place

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    I would say Basta Pasta or Michael's. Michael's I think has slight edge taste wise but you will pay for it in $ and size.

Eng

CCW UT
    Jan 11, 2017
    Scaggsville, Ocean City
    here's a topic i know VERY well. (in fact i'm in the MPTV special about MD crabs!)
    G&M are great crab cakes, sometimes i get a little shell. Pappas' are BETTER, never had shell yet and bigger pieces of lump. I've had many from both places as i have had relationships with the various owners over the years.
    G&M will ship but shipping 3 costs as much as the cakes themselves-i think the volume hurt them a little.

The Pappas recipe is served at original local (near parkville) Ritchie Hwy and new Timonium location.

Bonus eating: Bond 45 @ Nat Harbor sometimes has a lobster stuffed with crab=3# lobster + 12oz crab in two cakes:)))

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    As already stated. Papas and Basta Pasta. If you want to buy some to cook at home, go to Captain Trey's in Cockeysville.

If you don't mind driving 15-20 minutes, Kocos on Harford Rd blows them all away.

BTW, Michael's is horrible. I will never set foot in there again

http://kocospub.com/

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    As already stated. Papas and Basta Pasta. If you want to buy some to cook at home, go to Captain Trey's in Cockeysville.

If you don't mind driving 15-20 minutes, Kocos on Harford Rd blows them all away.

BTW, Michael's is horrible. I will never set foot in there again

http://kocospub.com/

Agreed on all accounts. Michael's blows...

Man I miss good seafood. I'm gonna a be gorging myself this weekend while I'm in town:yummy:

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012

Thanks!
    Not going to get Maryland crab meat this time of year unless it was frozen regardless of what restaurant you go to...

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Yup ..... just like the frozen Phillips "Maryland Style" cakes made with crab meat from Ubeki-bek-i-stan. Think I'll pass.

Bleh, don't compare Phillips junk "crabcakes" to the good ones that use gulf crabmeat in the off season.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    G&M has gone down hill and their crab cakes are over priced with no real flavor.

Olive Grove just up Hammonds Ferry serve a much better crab cake.

Also, I would definitely recommend Pappas and Roy's Kwik Corner over G&M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom