• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rails on handguns, Love 'em or hate 'em?

• They're Grrreeeaaattt!

Votes: 49 62.8%
    • Ugh!

Votes: 29 37.2%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

drive_accord_ingly

Aug 1, 2007
    MoCo
    Rails have recently been introduced to handguns to allow the shooter to hang all sorts of doowangles off their guns.

What's your take? like 'em? Love 'em? ...or hate em?

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Unless you are going to fix a light or laser Why and for that matter I don't get the squared trigger guard as no one that I know uses that style hold anymore. But they both look Tactically Cool. Chris

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    My Glocks have rails, my ARs have rails, hell... my bolt guns have rails. They serve a purpose, and it's better to have them an not need them than to need them and not have them.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    The biggest thing I hate on handguns is an empty rail. (Asides from display guns) Buy a Streamlight TLR-1(you can often find them for less than $100) mount it and roll on with life.
    Some handguns to my eye look better sans rail (1911s,BHPs, and CZ-75s for example)
    There's too many benefits to a WML to just call them doodads.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    For my Home defense weapons Yes with a Light/Laser all my other handguns No!

Tact Cool is great for the movies but if the SHTF and you point the end with the hole in the right direction all that extra trash just gets get in the way. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    The biggest thing I hate on handguns is an empty rail. (Asides from display guns) Buy a Streamlight TLR-1(you can often find them for less than $100) mount it and roll on with life. Some handguns to my eye look better sans rail (1911s,BHPs, and CZ-75s for example) There's too many benefits to a WML to just call them doodads.

I agree with all of this. I have a lot of experience with the TLR1 and it's been great.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    If something happens in my home where I feel the need to deploy my firearm, I would prefer to see what I'm aiming at. A rail mounted light is easier than trying to sleep in NVGs.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Great for lights but lasers have better mounting options. Weapon lights are the bees knees. Those revolvers with rails are an aesthetic train wreck IMO.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    They're more obtrusive on some guns than others. Glocks aren't too bad - it's not a complete cheese grater without a light.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Then there are the Guns on a rail.

Attachments

• article-0-18EB0329000005DC-557_634x388.jpg
      article-0-18EB0329000005DC-557_634x388.jpg
      43 KB · Views: 519

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Depends on the handgun. Modern stuff rails are helpful. 90% of the time I hate them on 1911s, some days I want one.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    They can be useful, and should be an option on duty pistols, but would rather have a slimmer rounded dustcover on a concealable compact, or nice broad full length dustcover on metal framed target pistols. Wish they were an option, or included as a rail kit like the MOS does for slide mounted optics, don't want a rail, keep the slim plain cover screwed on, want a rail, pop out a couple screws and slap it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom