• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Few weeks back I went to the gun show in Upper Marlboro where I had planned on working with MSI.. But before I could leave the house I got a call that they had enough volunteers to cover the event…I had decided to attend the event just to show my support after Baker and Rush placed all the restrictions on the show. Once there I found the MSI booth and introduced myself and thought I’d hang out there and learn..What struck me the most was the number of first time handgun owners being sent over to our booth to gather info on what they needed to complete before applying for the HQL. Of course they got schooled on much more and most could not believe how much SHIT they had to go through to obtain a HQL.

Let may say this before I continue… an old man with a thought can be dangerous…

So it started me thinking…. Does Baker or Rush or any of the other azztots have any idea on how many PG county folks are applying for HQL’s these days so they can buy a handgun for protection…

Last Sunday I worked with the MSI crew in Fredrick where I reviewed the new members list and also the sign up sheet from Saturday. I’d say that MSI booth stayed way busy. Sunday was no exception… we stayed busy from the start to the finish. If I wasn’t busy explaining the HQL rules and what MSI was about then I was paying attention to what was being said by my fellow MSI members there and also those who had come by to gather information on what they needed to do to get an HQL.

Not that I was surprised but we even had some folks from the west side of Baltimore there at the booth who expressed a sincere desire to get a gun for protection. So after I explained the Laws on getting a HQL this one lady said I have to go through all this to buy a shotgun.. I said no ma’am that’s just to buy a handgun shotguns come under something else.. and she shook her head in disbelief… If Im not mistaken our VP for MSI took her over to a vendor who was doing the HQL class and digital finger prints at the show..

We had a lot of first time gun owners show up at the booth on Sunday and more than a handful of pistol owners come over who had not yet filed for the HQL that needed direction on what they needed to get done. Few comments I heard from the guys working with me was that they could not believe just how many folks there had no idea of current gun laws…
    So here are my thoughts …

1) We need to find out the number of folks in MD that have applied for the HQL since it went into effect.

2) Get that broken down into counties if possible (gun show related)_per PG show FUBAR

3) If possible from NICS find out how many new gun owners have been added to the list from MD as some will just not mess with getting a HQL when owing a shotgun will fit their needs for home protection

4) Start using this information at the state and county levels when they start or continue to put limits on events and try to pass new laws.

In closing .. Don’t assume the person standing next to you at the range knows the laws… start up a friendly conversation… you don’t need to part of MSI to do that .. but you can always lead them our way..

Thanks for listening to me vent.. now back to painting the family room I go

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I only know about the laws bc of MDS.
    The last time I heard anyone casually talking about gun laws it was 3 years ago when the buzz was that we were going to all be able to get carry permits. That got shot down and now no one that I know talks about any of it anymore, nor do they have any idea what happened 10/13...

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I only know about the laws bc of MDS.
    The last time I heard anyone casually talking about gun laws it was 3 years ago when the buzz was that we were going to all be able to get carry permits. That got shot down and now no one that I know talks about any of it anymore, nor do they have any idea what happened 10/13...

If you're an MSI member, take a shift at a show table. You'll be amazed.

If you're not an MSI member, visit the MSI show table. You'll be alarmed. Then join.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    AFAIK, NICS does not keep records. It approves or denies and that is that.

As to HQLs, there is a thread here asking about recent HQLs and their number.

It will take a FOIA request to get broken down by county

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    AFAIK, NICS does not keep records. It approves or denies and that is that.

As to HQLs, there is a thread here asking about recent HQLs and their number.

It will take a FOIA request to get broken down by county

NICS only keeps records at the request of the individual...

In cases where similar personal data causes anyone to keep being delayed for purchases, that person may request a NICS PIN. It is a unique Personal Identification Number that the person then enters in the appropriate box on all future NICS checks. That way, the examiner knows that the person being subjected to the investigation prior to purchase, is actually who they claim to be and not the other person with the same/similar data who is prohibited.

Note: the PIN does not guaranty instant approval... But it does help to speed up the processing for the non prohibited person.

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Rambling One coming from you that means alot sir and thank you for all the hours you and others have put in before I stepped up to the plate

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    If you're an MSI member, take a shift at a show table. You'll be amazed.

If you're not an MSI member, visit the MSI show table. You'll be alarmed. Then join.

He is a good guy Bill, but he has 4 kids :lol2: Hopefully they will fund the SS payments I am making and will never receive!

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Two friends a couple years ago asked to go to a gun show. Lets just say the three of us are all over 50, no felonies etc. The two who own no guns saw some iron they wanted to buy, but after the lesson on what they needed to do, still have not purchased a gun. Lets look what would happen if we were Virginians.. They could of walked out with the guns, and after spending some time with them and the guns explaining things, then getting them to the range, would have been two new advocates. One of the guys I just saw again mentioned he's still interested, and my wife piped up I'd take him to range cause I got lots of guns to try :lol2:

I do think current events are getting hinky enough to motivate fence sitters to start jumping through the hoops.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Is anyone mentioning stripped lowers, c&r pistols, or online hunters safety courses as an alternative to the training? Which is basically the most cumbersome part of the hql.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Is anyone mentioning stripped lowers, c&r pistols, or online hunters safety courses as an alternative to the training? Which is basically the most cumbersome part of the hql.

I would not steer someone with no experience away from training.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I would not steer someone with no experience away from training.

That's fine. But some people like schipperke who posted right before me, like to reference other states where you need nothing more than a nics check to buy a pistol. No training.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    That's fine. But some people like schipperke who posted right before me, like to reference other states where you need nothing more than a nics check to buy a pistol. No training.

Yes. The easy training & exemptions are good options for gun people who just happen to have never owned a handgun in MD or have other training available to them, ie the friend mentioned in schipperke's post. People with that experince and available advice certainly should be made aware of the 'easy' options.

If I were selling handguns in VA or PA, I'd be suggesting newbies consider training.

CrabbyDick

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 16, 2015
    :thumbsup: Excellent post, Laddertowr!

When people ask what MSI does besides push for concealed carry, they EDUCATE folks.

I am one that does wonder just what is the mission of MSI. I would expect to find that answer on their home web page. I was disappointed to find it to be little more than a solicitation for donations. I am not sure how others feel, but it turns me off.

So is there someplace online that does spell out the mission of MSI?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Two friends a couple years ago asked to go to a gun show. Lets just say the three of us are all over 50, no felonies etc. The two who own no guns saw some iron they wanted to buy, but after the lesson on what they needed to do, still have not purchased a gun. Lets look what would happen if we were Virginians.. They could of walked out with the guns, and after spending some time with them and the guns explaining things, then getting them to the range, would have been two new advocates. One of the guys I just saw again mentioned he's still interested, and my wife piped up I'd take him to range cause I got lots of guns to try :lol2:

I do think current events are getting hinky enough to motivate fence sitters to start jumping through the hoops.

Not just fence sitters, but an entire group that are strictly interested in personal protection and have interest in 2A rights or even firearms, just personal protection. If we can get them interested and get them involved in getting what they want (A firearm for personal protection), then a portion of them may eventually cross over to be more interested in firearms laws overall.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    protegeV thanks for filling in the blanks... I'll add them to my list

I think we keep it simple for educating the new folks, and as we talk to them and feel them out, based on what we think, we offer alternatives.

Just my opinion for how we do information at the table.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I am one that does wonder just what is the mission of MSI. I would expect to find that answer on their home web page. I was disappointed to find it to be little more than a solicitation for donations. I am not sure how others feel, but it turns me off.

So is there someplace online that does spell out the mission of MSI?

Noted as an addition we need to make to the new website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom