• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I couple weeks ago I got a Pietta 1860 army replica on sale from Cabelas. The wedge was too tight to move so I ordered some brass punches to tap it out without marring the metal. Tonight I tried to tap it out and it will not budge no matter how hard I whack it. At the end I was hitting it hard enough to bend the punches but there was no movement in the wedge's position. I don't know what else to do other than to take it to a gunsmith and see if they can get it out. Suggestions?

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    You have great luck man. Ever get that ramrod out of your muzzle loader?

haha no. I don't care about that barrel anymore but it was a nice aluminum range rod that I would like to use again. It's still in the garage stuck as tight as ever. I might just drill out the barrel to get it out eventually.

Dec 31, 2012
    I couple weeks ago I got a Pietta 1860 army replica on sale from Cabelas. The wedge was too tight to move so I ordered some brass punches to tap it out without marring the metal. Tonight I tried to tap it out and it will not budge no matter how hard I whack it. At the end I was hitting it hard enough to bend the punches but there was no movement in the wedge's position. I don't know what else to do other than to take it to a gunsmith and see if they can get it out. Suggestions?

Did you take out the set screw first?

Also need to pinch the wedge on the side that slips through. There's a little spring strip of metal that has a lip and holds the wedge.

(not assuming you don't know, just making sure)

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Did you take out the set screw first?

Also need to pinch the wedge on the side that slips through. There's a little spring strip of metal that has a lip and holds the wedge.

It should pop out without removing the retaining screw put I did take it out anyway. I also pinched the spring clip in to clear the edge of the barrel. Hard as crap to do though. You need more than two hands.

Dec 31, 2012
    It should pop out without removing the retaining screw put I did take it out anyway. I also pinched the spring clip in to clear the edge of the barrel. Hard as crap to do though. You need more than two hands.

I have a stiff 1851 navy that required needle nose pliers to take out. Needle nose on the spring/wedge while tapping the wedge. It got better after the first removal because I could oil it. Still stiff and I've thought about sanding it.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    You do not have to completely remove the wedge to remove the barrel.

The spring and screw are there to keep the wedge from falling all the way out.

Once it's knocked out, and dangling, the barrel will come off.

Dec 31, 2012
    You do not have to completely remove the wedge to remove the barrel.

The spring and screw are there to keep the wedge from falling all the way out.

Once it's knocked out, and dangling, the barrel will come off.

Yes but it seems he can't move it at all.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    A block of wood or plastic and a BFH will move it.

Some folks have been known to drive them out in the wrong direction too.

Drive it toward the screw side (right to left). The spring doesn't have to be depressed.

Dec 31, 2012
    A block of wood or plastic and a BFH will move it.

Some folks have been known to drive them out in the wrong direction too.

Drive it toward the screw side (right to left). The spring doesn't have to be depressed.

Mine did have to be depressed but I believe I have an odd wedge. Spring may have been bent? It took two people to get that sucker out. It's a Pietta so slightly off sized or out of spec parts wouldn't be too surprising.

Here's Pietta's version of removal
    http://www.pietta.us/pdf/How_to_remove_the_wedge.pdf

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If you can't drive it out with a block and hammer, that little pry bar won't help.

No wedge should ever be that tight. And if they are that tight, the cylinder generally won't budge either.

One, good, whack should pop it out because there is literally nothing holding those wedges in place. Just the taper machined on it and slot it goes into.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    well I just tried a way similar to that little wedge puller/lever thing, except I used a 15 inch pry par with a notch that fit the wedge. Two people, one holding down the gun and the other levering on the wedge and it still wouldn't move at all. That should have way more force than that little tool but still nothing. Much more than I'm doing is just going to destroy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom