• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    A friend of mine in Western MD gave me a Jap Type 99 (my guess) that has been sporterized or bubbafied but not by him.

So would you just toss this in the corner and forget about it.. or is there some potential here for making it a decent sport gun.

Here’s what I have found so far

1) Stock has been cut way down
    2) Barrel has be cut down
    3) Front sight is not original
    4) Rear sight is half there
    5) Butt plate is missing
    6) Both swivels for the sling is missing
    7) Bore is bright and shiny no pitting
    8) Bolt just looks to need a good cleaning and run on the buffer

I would have posted a picture but it makes me sick to look at what someone has done to this.

Thanks guys for your input...This one was free along with a Britsh 303 MK1 that has seen the chop shop as well...The Mum on the 99 has been removed....Once I bring the 303 back I'll take some pics of that as well

Last edited:

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Just my opinion, but it sounds too far gone to me. Would likely cost you more than it's worth to even turn it into a decent 'sport gun'. Arisakas are still very reasonably priced in original condition so if it were me I would put that money into a non-Bubba example if you're looking for one to shoot. If you do want to post a pic of receiver markings we could at least confirm if it is a T99.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    #4 - is remenent sight usable ? If so all it "needs" is generic butt / recoil pqd to length .

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I agree it sounds like a goner. I was thinking you could part it out so other people can restore their Arisaka's and your parts could live on with some dignity, but it doesn't sound like there's much there to part out.
    Another issue with restoring it as a sporter is ammo. At this point you should just appreciate it for what it is IMO.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    how about the mum? also if its cheap and or you can use it just to shoot I'd get it but otherwise its worthless in its current condition..

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    I would say it depends on your opinion of it. I'm sure you will spend more money than its worth to bring it back. But if it's not something you're going to try to sell, and you want a piece of history, I would restore it.

Jul 1, 2012
    But as pointed out, unless it's something super special there are still oodles and oodles of these in original condition (or close to) laying around to mess with.
    If it shoots ok as-is, great. If not stick it on the wall.

Also I'd be very very careful to determine what it is really chambered for if it's been Bubba'd that much.

As KH195 recommended, post some nice clear pics of the top and left side of receiver and an overall shot or two and maybe someone here can tell you what it started out as. And then by all means add to the C&R Bubba thread :)

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    You we right, it's a Type 99. Looks to be early/mid war based on the finish and features (those that remain at least). Can't make out the arsenal/series, would need a closer pic on the left side of the reciver.

Jul 1, 2012
    I'd pictured something far worse :)
    It won't be "economically viable" to restore but it looks like it could be a good shooter.
    Again, double-check the chambering...

DennisCA

IMHO - it's too far gone over "the bubba-side" to try and restore it.
    That being said it would probably make a decent shooter, only way find out.
    I wouldn't put a ton of money into it.
    If you don't like it, then sell it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom