• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    BPD where 6 years feels like 60.

I knew you were going to say that. Agency change man, you may have to go back in patrol but working environments are better in almost all places. Plus the upside to patio is you handle you beat or patrols and go home. No stacks of paperwork and calls all the time on days off. Most agencies in MD will just make u take a lateral academy

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Anyone who recommends them, doesn't know them. LOL Someone with six years real police work would eat a bullet after a week.

Naw man, I know them well. I spend 3 plus days a month working with those guys. I'm not knocking them but they defentely do police work very diffrent from everyone else. It more security oriented, not my cup of tea but, if your Burnt out stuff like is the place to go. You will probably never make an arrest there, just saying. And you won't be going hands on hardly ever. They seem to micromanage a bit. PGPD is actually a good place, and I never hear too many people complaining that much about big stuff. All cops have the same basic complaints though. Montgomery county has decent pay, good moral and good equipment. The Feds seem to want people with language skills, law degrees or accounting degrees, or former military combat MOS.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    And have his first assignment in Fargo.
    FBI is kind of finicky with their degrees. IF it's a computer related or financial type degree, they'd probably be interested.

I agree...I don't know how being sent to El Paso or Little Rock will make your family happier. how many more years to do you have? also have you thought about lateral to another agency.

I've often thought about the career change but I think about the future and its nice to have stable employment and a pension.

CrazyIvan

Crazy Ivan
    Aug 2, 2013
    Scaggsville (Howard County)
    I was "reinventing" my career at about your age. Like you, I have an accounting/business management degree. I became an internal auditor and love my career. Part of the auditor role is fraud investigation. You would have a jump start on that skill-set. Also, the nice thing with internal audit is that you typically work for the company you audit, and focus more on helping them improve processes than playing "gotcha" like the IRS auditors do. Many businesses use internal audit as a proving ground for other areas in the company. People who want to grow into executive positions seek out IA opportunities so they can learn about all aspects of the business, making them well rounded executives.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Go to the county PD. It's a cake walk compared to the city

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This.

In fact, I have a friend in the opposite situation from you. Started in the BPD, loved the action. Moved to baltimore county for the money and was basically bored to death...

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I've been a city cop for over 21 years. It sucks! You are Md. Certified. Why not check into Md. State or one of its counties. The slower pace my be exactly what you need. PG still has a 20 year retirement, a take home and all the perks. Also, your time may just transfer towards retirement.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    FEMA has a fraud investigation division. A buddy of mine is a retired detective and he works for them now. Reasonable hours and some travel involved. His office is in Crystal City.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom