• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    As a protective measure I bought a few recoil buffers and put one in a 1918 vintage Colt M1911 in hopes of reducing the potential for damage. After fewer than 50 rounds the buffer has been chewed up by the recoil spring. Is this to be expected?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    A buffer chewed up in 50 rounds indicates a fatigued recoil spring and/or mainspring - anything which would effect slide velocity. There are some tough buffers out there, white or opaque, CP is one brand, that can take a pounding. Being it is a 1918 vintage the recoil spring may be original or an old replacement. I'd replace the mainspring and recoil spring and retest with the buffer. That would be a 16 pound recoil spring and 23 pound mainspring.

Clem

Mar 19, 2007
    Southern MD
    A buffer chewed up in 50 rounds indicates a fatigued recoil spring and/or mainspring - anything which would effect slide velocity. There are some tough buffers out there, white or opaque, CP is one brand, that can take a pounding. Being it is a 1918 vintage the recoil spring may be original or an old replacement. I'd replace the mainspring and recoil spring and retest with the buffer. That would be a 16 pound recoil spring and 23 pound mainspring.

I prefer 18 lb recoil springs for my 1911 .45s.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I guess it's ok for a range gun. My Kimber jammed because the buffer disintegrated.

Haven't used one since in a carry gun.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Many feel that way ^^^^. I do the same. Key point if one uses a buffer in a serious pistol the buff must be ckecked after each firing and replaced. There should only be outine impressions of the slide dust cover and recoil rod flange in the buff...near perfect tuning. Battered and torn is a no-no.

Also must ensure no part of the buff extends outside the edge rod the guide rod flange or it will induce malfunctions...been there, done that. It was a rare malfunction (twice, FTFeed) but it happened it what was typically a 100% pistol, a game gun. The top of the buff was pushing up on the barrel during linkdown and feeding. Trimming the buff eliminated the malfunctions.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I appreciate the problem analysis and the advice. I'll start with a trimmed buffer and a new recoil spring and will report back. FWIW, I had no malfunctions, just the beat up buffer when I disassembled for cleaning. From what I've read here, it was just a matter of time before it could have caused a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom