• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    That's why I said, "knowing when to sell." I should have added, "and where."

No, you almost certainly are going to lose money if you are pressured into selling a gun in a hurry. Your LGS and/or pawn shop are there to make money, and to avoid risk. They are typically going to give you about half of what they think the value is ... if they are even that generous. If you must sell, the online sales and auction places are the best, so long as you market the guns well. Most of my (very few) GB buys were good ones because the seller sucked at listing the things so that people would be able to find them.

My point is only that is there is no place you can sell an entire collection quickly and get a decent price, so even if you view a collection as an investment, it's not a liquid one at all. Sounds like you agree with that.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    but that big investor bandwagon passed when they were $99 - 120 each. $200 still isn't a bad price for the gun if you just want to have one, but not a great investment.

Agreed. $200 is okay. Problem is I keep seeing dealers selling rearsenalized ones lately for $300 to $400. Run away for that kind of price. Nowhere near worth it.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    My point is only that is there is no place you can sell an entire collection quickly and get a decent price, so even if you view a collection as an investment, it's not a liquid one at all. Sounds like you agree with that.

"Liquid" is a relative term in this context. If you mean not being able to cash in on a large collection in a week, or two, without losing money ... that's probably very true (and the same would go for a house, or a lot of other things).

I've told my wife and sons that if they ever have to sell my guns, they should consider them supplementary income and put one or two per month on GB.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Personally, I think a machine gun price crash is long overdue. Prices for those have been in the stupid territory for a long time. It's so bad that guys are buying them specifically as investments. Never a good sign.

I sort of agree with you.... but there is one major variable to this. There haven't been any additional machineguns available for general transfer (outside of SOT) since 1986. No new supply... increasing demand... constantly increasing prices. Unless there is a change to the law that allows new machine guns to be added to the transferable list, this situation will continue and will get worse. :sad20:

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I sort of agree with you.... but there is one major variable to this. There haven't been any additional machineguns available for general transfer (outside of SOT) since 1986. No new supply... increasing demand... constantly increasing prices. Unless there is a change to the law that allows new machine guns to be added to the transferable list, this situation will continue and will get worse. :sad20:

Obviously regulation is solely responsible for the massive increase in MG prices. But who is going to buy them if prices keep rising as they have been? Bill Gates? A crash is coming.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    My point is only that is there is no place you can sell an entire collection quickly and get a decent price

Sure there is. You think a couple hundred unique guns would drop gunbroker values? No. Not even a blip on the radar. You can't sell them as one lump lot, but individually you would get market price. If you had cornered the market and tried to sell a couple hundred of all one kind of gun at once you could screw up market prices (why bid the first one up when there are 199 left).

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Sure there is. You think a couple hundred unique guns would drop gunbroker values? No. Not even a blip on the radar. You can't sell them as one lump lot, but individually you would get market price. If you had cornered the market and tried to sell a couple hundred of all one kind of gun at once you could screw up market prices (why bid the first one up when there are 199 left).

Listing several hundred guns on GB would take weeks.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Personally, I think a machine gun price crash is long overdue. Prices for those have been in the stupid territory for a long time.

I sort of agree with you.... but there is one major variable to this. There haven't been any additional machineguns available for general transfer (outside of SOT) since 1986.

Obviously regulation is solely responsible for the massive increase in MG prices. But who is going to buy them if prices keep rising as they have been? Bill Gates? A crash is coming.

What's "stupid territory" for the average person isn't such a big deal for what's still a pretty big segment of the population. You have to have some hefty disposable cash to buy a MG, but hardly Bill Gates money. I'd be willing to venture that there are at least 20,000 people in NOVA alone who could drop that sort of money on a MG, if they wanted to, without it being a major strain on their pot of cash. A good friend of mine, who is very much into full autos, had a conversation with a major dealer who wanted to buy some of his guns. I got to listen in. The buyer said that he had an instant market for certain types of full-auto firearms, and a good many of those were pro athletes. Yeah ... they make lots more money than I do, but so do a lot of government contractors, car dealership owners, CEOs, etc., etc. There are lots of people out there between us and Gates who have stupid money.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    What's "stupid territory" for the average person isn't such a big deal for what's still a pretty big segment of the population. You have to have some hefty disposable cash to buy a MG, but hardly Bill Gates money. I'd be willing to venture that there are at least 20,000 people in NOVA alone who could drop that sort of money on a MG, if they wanted to, without it being a major strain on their pot of cash. A good friend of mine, who is very much into full autos, had a conversation with a major dealer who wanted to buy some of his guns. I got to listen in. The buyer said that he had an instant market for certain types of full-auto firearms, and a good many of those were pro athletes. Yeah ... they make lots more money than I do, but so do a lot of government contractors, car dealership owners, CEOs, etc., etc. There are lots of people out there between us and Gates who have stupid money.

K, happy investing :D

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    K, happy investing :D

I didn't say that *I* have that kind of money, you understand ... only that there are more people who do than we might guess. What about the Colt that just hammered at $36,000? You could have gotten an exceptionally nice Thompson for that price.

No matter the commodity, a buyer with superior knowledge to the seller, who is able to purchase a desirable commodity below market value, is making a good investment.

In the case of firearms, most of the market factors that can be envisioned to drastically alter the desire among buyers are factors that will increase the value. You wouldn't be making a good investment to go out and spend $500 on a plain Jane Mosin-Nagant, but $500 for a really nice WWII Colt auto would always return a profit.

Last edited:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I am selling a 1915 dated 1895 Nagant revolver for $175 with a 50 round box of ammo if anyone's interested.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    This gun is out of a friends collection. I have been working for two years to sell it for him. Just to break even will take some time and he has lost money on a few purchases that he believed to be worth more. For example a Krag carbine that he paid $1500 for is really a fake carbine only worth $500 on a good day.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    This gun is out of a friends collection. I have been working for two years to sell it for him. Just to break even will take some time and he has lost money on a few purchases that he believed to be worth more. For example a Krag carbine that he paid $1500 for is really a fake carbine only worth $500 on a good day.

Is that old spreadsheet up to date?

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    This gun is out of a friends collection. I have been working for two years to sell it for him. Just to break even will take some time and he has lost money on a few purchases that he believed to be worth more.

This one's a fair deal, and I know that you've busted your ass to help him, but based upon some of the prices in the original spreadsheet, he was either unrealistic about what he thought some of the pieces were worth, or he was into them deeper than he should have been. It sounds like the latter is the case.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Is that old spreadsheet up to date?

No. They started to sell a few things on their own. I will be sitting down with his wife after the holidays to do inventory and make sure everything is logged properly. I should have a good list then.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    This one's a fair deal, and I know that you've busted your ass to help him, but based upon some of the prices in the original spreadsheet, he was either unrealistic about what he thought some of the pieces were worth, or he was into them deeper than he should have been. It sounds like the latter is the case.

It is and I have been working with his wife to convince him he needs to lower the prices on some things. Many of the guns in his collection are rare and have very little collector interest due to the high cost. Others he paid way to much for and didn't know what he was buying. It's going to take time unfortunately I don't think he is going to be with us to see everything sell. His health is in steady decline and he isn't doing what he needs to to stay healthy.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    It is and I have been working with his wife to convince him he needs to lower the prices on some things. Many of the guns in his collection are rare and have very little collector interest due to the high cost.

Got a link to the spreadsheet? I'd like to take a look at it again. Understood it's not up to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom