• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    This would have happened if the FP was installed incorrectly, with the ridge behind of instead of in front of the retaining pin, and repeated hits from the hammer drove it in.

All you need is a new FP, provided the retaining pin hasn't lost any metal too. Then it should be good as new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't see how it could have been installed that way. If it was then the firing pin would be so far out the back that there is no way it would ever fire and I know that it was never like that before today.

I do think a new pin will fix that but then there is still the problem with the trigger group.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    We depressed the disconnector when it was in and out of the gun but the hammer will not release.

Did you do that with the bolt out? if the bolt was out and FCG in the receiver it wont release...and it wont release the hammer outside of the gun. UNLESS you align the trigger bar with the sear, by manipulating the disconnector to the sear. Just watch your fingers when dropping the hammer

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Did you do that with the bolt out? if the bolt was out and FCG in the receiver it wont release...and it wont release the hammer outside of the gun. UNLESS you align the trigger bar with the sear, by manipulating the disconnector to the sear. Just watch your fingers when dropping the hammer

Maybe we were not doing it right when we had it out. I just tried again with the bolt and carrier in the gun and I can release the hammer. I guess there isn't anything wrong with that.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Maybe we were not doing it right when we had it out. I just tried again with the bolt and carrier in the gun and I can release the hammer. I guess there isn't anything wrong with that.

yeah basically the back of the bolt pushes the disconnector down which holds the trigger bar on the sear. When the gun fires the bolt goes back pushing the disconnector which pushes the trigger bar off the sear.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    So I guess I'll get the spring loaded firing pin from Murray's but it doesn't look like they have the retaining pins. Whats the best place to get one of those?

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    yeah basically the back of the bolt pushes the disconnector down which holds the trigger bar on the sear. When the gun fires the bolt goes back pushing the disconnector which pushes the trigger bar off the sear.

Yeah, I knew about the disconnector but apparently it has to be in just the right spot which is difficult to find if you're depressing it by hand. I can release the hammer with the bolt and carrier out now but it has to be just right.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    So I guess I'll get the spring loaded firing pin from Murray's but it doesn't look like they have the retaining pins. Whats the best place to get one of those?

Be careful about that setup. It's intended for modern ammo, to avoid piercing the primer. It might not reliably fire surplus ammo. It's also been known to go full auto when the spring fails or hangs up, sometimes right away.

Numrich has the correct firing pin and retainer.
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/490790.htm
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/490770.htm

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Be careful about that setup. It's intended for modern ammo, to avoid piercing the primer. It might not reliably fire surplus ammo. It's also been known to go full auto when the spring fails or hangs up, sometimes right away.

Numrich has the correct firing pin and retainer.
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/490790.htm
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/490770.htm

I don't really shoot surplus 7.62x39. I've heard about them going full auto with the original and with the spring loaded so I decided I'd give the spring loaded a try and see. It just sucks that that had to go wrong just when i got the gas system working reliably.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Murray's is the way to go then if you're using brass-cased ammo. The original firing pin tends to badly pierce brass primers. Not a good thing. Brass primers are not as recessed as with the original-style steel case.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Murray's is the way to go then if you're using brass-cased ammo. The original firing pin tends to badly pierce brass primers. Not a good thing. Brass primers are not as recessed as with the surplus steel case.

well I'm not shooting brass but I dont really consider new production tula and wolf to be surplus. Is that what you were referring to?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have seen more spri g loaded firing pins on SKS rifles fail than the military ones.

I have seen 3 SKS rifles blown up because the spring loaded one locked forward causing an oob explosion.

Worst aftermarket SKS part ever made IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom