• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    What's the ammo situation in there now? Are they still doing the magnet check for rifle ammo?

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    I go there all the time. Never unable to get ammo...never "magnet checked".

MOtoMD

Jan 29, 2013
    MoCo
    They're checking for steel core...a couple of folks over the last couple months have destroyed the concrete backstop.

djcerna

Stuck in the Middle
    Aug 4, 2010
    Rockville MD
    I went today and they checked my 5.56 with a magnet. Someone royally shot up the backstop with AP or Steel rounds. They had two lanes closed for a while till they replaced the panels.

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    tula is fine.. its bi-metal.. they are looking for the penetrator rounds and the like. there is a list on the counter of banned/restricted models..

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The range web page is now updated to prohibit:

The 15-position NRA Range is open to the public and offers:

• All pistol calibers and rifle up to .460 Weatherby Magnum!
    • No Steel Core, No Armor Piercing, No Tracer Rounds, and Shotguns with SLUGS Only!
    • Shooting Events and Activities!
    • Shooting Distances up to 50 yards!
    • Automatic target retrieval system that allows the shooter to edge and face the target for time intervals programmed by the shooter!
    • Wheelchair Accessible!
    • A professional staff of NRA Certified Range Safety Officers!
    NRA RANGE

anderson76

Feb 16, 2013
    tula is fine.. its bi-metal.. they are looking for the penetrator rounds and the like. there is a list on the counter of banned/restricted models..

Was this your experience? Did they let you shoot the bi-metal stuff?

anderson76

Feb 16, 2013
    Did you read the list of banned ammo? Bi metal is not banned. Steel core is.

Ya I read the list, but I want to know how its being enforced. The magnet sticks to bi-metal the same way is does to AP. Most indoor ranges just fail everything that attracts a magnet.

So my question is -- Does anyone experience shooting bi metal stuff their lately?

anderson76

Feb 16, 2013
    Now that what I wanted to here. I have a bunch of wolf and tula collecting dust ever since MD Small Arms Range started using the magnet test.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    What is the wait like on the weekends?
    I have a friend down there and was thinking on meeting him at the Range.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Weekends can be bad. Over an hour sometimes. If I do shoot on weekends, I tend to get there as soon as they open before the wait gets really bad. I've taken to shooting on Mondays or Fridays to avoid the wait.

Saturday 8:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
    Sunday 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

If you haven't shot there before, you must take a short written range safety test first.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I get there right when they open on the weekends and generally don't have to wait. But you literally have to get there when they open.

dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    Last night, I got an email from Debbie from the NRA range regarding the ammo confusion. Below is her response to my email in it's entirety.

Thank you for contacting me to clear this up. I read through some of the questions/incorrect advice posted so I will clarify everything here. Please post that for them since our server would not allow me to register on there to answer directly.

· Steel Core is prohibited meaning any bullet that has a steel center inside of the lead cannot be used here.

· Steel Casings are perfectly fine. The case is ejected out onto the floor so we don’t care about the case.

· The magnet check is not always accurate so my RO’s may want to pull a bullet from the cartridge or cut the tip off to see inside.

· Tula 7.62x39 is fine as long as it states steel casing and not steel core.

· Bi-metal FMJ’s are acceptable.

· 7.62x54R is the biggest culprit since there is a lot of military surplus Russian and Chinese ammo around, all steel core.

· We prohibit Steel Core rounds because our backstop is steel with steel plated deceleration chambers. Armor Piercing or Steel Penetrator Rounds cause some serious, very expensive damage.

· Feel free to contact me or my RO’s at the Range with any questions!

Thanks for checking on this and clearing up any confusion! I always say that the NRA Range has the best clientele and this shows it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom