• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Taurus pistols recieve a lot of complaints in the reliability department. Is this your first handgun purchase? Have you already applied for your HQL?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Don't do it. Stick with a m&p, glock, ruger sr9, fns, cs75, 92fs, stoeger cougar, sig, hk, walther p99/ppq, springfield armory xd/xdm, or really just about anything else. those taurus semi-auto pistols are not good guns. Something to keep in mind is manufacturers like glock and s&w often have lifetime warranties and perform most repairs free of charge, no questions asked...as long as they're within reason. I've know a good few people who have bought a used glock that is loose as hell and just plain shot out only to ship it back to the factory for "repairs" and have essentially a brand new gun come back in the mail. Often times buying a used quality gun is just as cheap or cheaper than buying a new crappy gun...and you ultimately end up with a quality gun.

Your struggle is going to be finding the gun somewhere out of state for cheap with standard mags, buying it there and taking the mags with you...then having the gun shipped in to md to an ffl to do paperwork and pick it up with no mags(being most will be over the new 10 rnd limit). Otherwise, you're stuck with 10 rnd mags, or no mags for the same price.

Enterprise

Oct 27, 2012
    Don't do it. Stick with a m&p, glock, ruger sr9, fns, cs75, 92fs, stoeger cougar, sig, hk, walther p99/ppq, springfield armory xd/xdm, or really just about anything else. those taurus semi-auto pistols are not good guns. Something to keep in mind is manufacturers like glock and s&w often have lifetime warranties and perform most repairs free of charge, no questions asked...as long as they're within reason. I've know a good few people who have bought a used glock that is loose as hell and just plain shot out only to ship it back to the factory for "repairs" and have essentially a brand new gun come back in the mail. Often times buying a used quality gun is just as cheap or cheaper than buying a new crappy gun...and you ultimately end up with a quality gun.

Your struggle is going to be finding the gun somewhere out of state for cheap with standard mags, buying it there and taking the mags with you...then having the gun shipped in to md to an ffl to do paperwork and pick it up with no mags(being most will be over the new 10 rnd limit). Otherwise, you're stuck with 10 rnd mags, or no mags for the same price.
    Being fairly new to MD, care to explain more about an out of state purchase? I also have my eye on the Beretta 92 M9A1 for a couple more bills...

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Being fairly new to MD, care to explain more about an out of state purchase? I also have my eye on the Beretta 92 M9A1 for a couple more bills...

If you found a handgun you wanted at an out of state dealer you could purchase it from them but it would have to be transferred to an in state dealer who would then do the paper work before you could take possession.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You pay the out-of-state FFL in person for the handgun, receive the standard-capacity mags, and the handgun (minus mags) is shipped to your MD FFL to complete the MD process.

The Beretta is a far better gun than the Taurus.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    The Beretta is a much better choice. You can buy out of state but pistol will have to be shipped to a MD ffl of your choice. The good thing is when you buy out of state you can take magazines home with you that day because once a MD ffl gets them you will never see them again if they are over 10rds. If you can wait a bit shooters discount gets in some very nice sig glock and hk le trade ins at very good prices.

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    Generally I tend to agree with the above about buy something else...

However, a friend bought a Taurus PT92 about the same time I got my GLOCK 17 (many years ago). We were both more accurate with the Taurus initially and while I've gotten so I can shoot my GLOCK more accurately now, both are still accurate and neither has ever even hiccupped as far as reliability. Furthermore, I would usually advise a gun buyer to shoot a gun before buying, to ensure that it fits them and they like it. You have already done that, so remember it's your money to spend.

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    To the OP; if you are looking for something that size a glock 19, m&p sd, sig 229, hk p30, the list goes on.... might be better for you. As per the reasons listed by other members you may want to try another model before you start your paperwork. Depending on distance there is probably a range near you that rents handguns. Just try a bunch and see what fits; if it ends up being the taurus, then the best of luck to you.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    I've been shooting my Taurus PT92 for a long time now, and have never had any problems with it. In fact, in the middle of timed police practical course training sessions, I've seen more Beretta's malfunction than Taurus's, and if my Taurus ever does need something, well, Taurus has a life-of-the-gun warranty that passes from owner to owner. Also, it's accurate enough to cloverleaf rounds at 10 yards.

That said, If everyone else's comments have out you off Taurus, you might check out Springfield.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    I would second the recommendation to get a Springfield XD or XDM instead. The design is fairly similar to the Taurus you like but is going to be better made and far less likely to cause you problems.

Taurus doesn't suck as badly as some people say (I own a Taurus revolver that is just fine) - but they have an undeniable quality control problem. Way too much stuff leaves that factory that has no business being sold to anyone. So if you buy a Taurus, you can get a good one and will have saved some money - but the likelihood of problems goes up. Most people don't want to deal with shipping a gun back and forth to the manufacturer, etc.

If you can't afford a new Springfield or Glock, etc. look into the used market.

Your problem is that most, modern, full-size, semi-auto handguns are designed to take magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. Eventually, the local dealers will obtain "California Compliant" versions of these guns that come with a 10 round magazine. But good luck finding a good selection of them in stock at your LGS right now.

So you can either get a gun with a magazine pinned to 10 rounds by your LGS, or buy the gun out-of-state, pocket the magazines, then pay to have the gun transferred into MD with no magazines in it. That costs money. So does buying the correct sized magazines out of state. It is just a question of how you get screwed, but you get screwed out of $50 or so regardless.

Other alternatives - a 1911 has a single stack magazine with less than 10 rounds of .45 ACP in it, meaning it is legal in MD in its normal configuration. Those guns are not at all cheap, however. Your other option is a revolver - almost all of them are legal in MD without modification.

Do not be tempted to go buy a little lightweight carry gun because it is small and also has compliant magazines. These guns are typically much harder to control and shoot well and you will not be carrying in Maryland anytime soon anyway. Much better to learn on a full-sized gun if you are a new shooter. Weight is your friend in a gun you don't carry - as inertia helps to tame recoil.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    Yes and Approved. I previously shot this pistol myself and loved it.

What other guns have you shot? If you "loved" it, you have very low expectations. Consider the other suggestions made by the forum members. There are much better choices out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom