• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    ""Albornoz said communities of color are “disproportionately affected” by gun violence and added, “The more we can do to get these tools of destruction out of the hands of people who nefariously plan on using them, the safer we will all be.”"

NEVER a single mention of actually prosecuting and LOCKING AWAY those "POC" who are actually victimizing the neighborhoods.

Minority neighborhoods have a long standing tradition of not wanting to rid themselves of the "criminal element" among them, but actually "rallying" to their defense. This is something that boggles the mind.

This is a lot of non-productive whining. I emailed Councilmember Albornoz as a resident of MoCo and asked to discuss my concerns with him, as someone who's actually built a ghost gun before and has kids.

I also requested a couple of other miscellaneous changes to MoCo weapons law, including formally removing the ban on shipping ammo into the county and putting in some sort of ft-lb floor on the firearms definition (to avoid criminalizing nerf guns and super soakers). We'll see where it goes.

Unfortunately, based on this WTOP article, it's looking very likely that state legislation is going to happen this year:
    https://wtop.com/maryland/2021/01/maryland-state-county-lawmakers-target-ghost-guns/

Seems like Delegate Lopez finally figured out why the previous bills kept failing, and isn't going to make the same mistake. We'll see what his bill's text says. :/

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Attachments

• MSI Testimony on Bill 4-21a.pdf
      121.8 KB · Views: 97

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    So, heads up. If this ordinance gets enacted into law, MSI will be looking for Montgomery County residents, especially businesses, to act as plaintiffs. Send me a Private Message if you are interested. We have already filed our opposition to this bill. See below.

I work for a defense contractor and we have had both unserialized weapons (government manufactured/owned) and tons of in-house CAD files/3D printed stuff.

If you PM me with what you are looking for I can pass your request along to the appropriate people. No guarantee that they are going to want to rock the boat with the county though.

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    Another great reason as to why it’s time I join MSI, I do get their emails and appreciate everything they do especially when it’s in my backyard.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    From the article:
    “We know that ghost guns are very dangerous weapons,” Albornoz said. “Ghost guns are in a gray area of the law at the federal and state level.”

So much more dangerous than other guns!

“Montgomery County has seen a growing tide in the possession of these weapons to include selling them on the black market to some individuals who are prohibited from having weapons or possessing them,” he said.

Unlike the stolen or straw-purchase guns that some individuals possess.

The spike in the prevalence of the undetectable guns has prompted local and state lawmakers to work on legislation restricting the manufacture, possession, sale, and transfer of the guns in the county and state.

"Undetectable" as in "invisible"? Thoughtful and informed reporting there. Problems arise when no one can detect these guns. Great minds want to know how they can detect an undetectable firearm?

“I think this legislation provides law enforcement with another significant tool in our belts to prevent senseless tragedies and eliminate more crimes,” he said. “That is one of the main functions of our department … crime prevention. We don’t want to wait until things happen tragically.”

And here they call for pre-emptive law enforcement for crimes not yet committed. I thought Red Flag laws were supposed to do that?

Between the media and the legislature, they're taking great strides in increasing the breadth and output of gibberish.

But it's not just the guns . . .
    Both Lopez and Albornoz said that there’s a racial equity element to their proposed legislations. “We’re seeing the victims of these kinds of guns from communities of color,” Lopez said. Albornoz said communities of color are “disproportionately affected” by gun violence.

Solution: eliminate communities which exist in the absence of color. Everybody's suddenly equally proportional!

I suspect that solution is still a few legislative sessions away. Meanwhile, Maryland seems to be hemorrhaging population, just like NY, NJ and CA, so progress toward this solution seems to be taking place already.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I attended the hearing on this bill, and testified against it over live video. Not a great showing for our side. It was just me, the gun-grabber chief, and like three other gun-grabbing/progressive orgs. Hopefully the written testimony was a little more... substantial.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Two thirds of the voters are fine with the anti-2A stance of the legislature, who don't care what the remainder think.

Attempting to point out the flaws in their bills is making their oppression easier; instead of passing blatantly stupid unenforceable laws, we help them to make things worse for us.

The legislators who would actually have listened to opposing opinion have left the building; they're as put off by the zealots as we are. And the zealots don't want to hear from us, and will treat us as the human garbage we are. The memory of Shari Judah being dragged out of the hearing room is forever stuck in my memory; a member of the Handgun Permit Review Board, her testimony was cut short and she was ordered out of the room. I seem to remember she was also slandered by one of the legislators, who claimed she was a shill for the "Gun Lobby".

I will no longer be a party to the sham "democracy" that controls this state. Working "within the system" is a mug's game, and only encourages the bastards.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Two thirds of the voters are fine with the anti-2A stance of the legislature, who don't care what the remainder think.

Attempting to point out the flaws in their bills is making their oppression easier; instead of passing blatantly stupid unenforceable laws, we help them to make things worse for us.

The legislators who would actually have listened to opposing opinion have left the building; they're as put off by the zealots as we are. And the zealots don't want to hear from us, and will treat us as the human garbage we are. The memory of Shari Judah being dragged out of the hearing room is forever stuck in my memory; a member of the Handgun Permit Review Board, her testimony was cut short and she was ordered out of the room. I seem to remember she was also slandered by one of the legislators, who claimed she was a shill for the "Gun Lobby".

I will no longer be a party to the sham "democracy" that controls this state. Working "within the system" is a mug's game, and only encourages the bastards.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

The law can be enforced. What it can't be is reasonably complied with.

Can't own a home made gun anymore? That is a feature, not a bug for a number of them. A few on the other side probably actually care and would be willing to address it. We've seen it with some other laws where we DO get them to change it, or even withdraw it completely. Many of the bad laws we have would have been much worse without us fighting against them and fighting for change.

How many court wins have we gotten on bad gun laws in this state? We need to keep fighting there too. Especially with a SCOTUS that is likely more sympathetic to our rights. But if you abandon the fight in the legislature our only hope is in the judiciary.

Give up both places and your only hope is comply, no matter how hard or painful that is, or get caught, lose your gun rights and probably spend some time in prison, lose your job, possibly lose your house, lose friends, possibly lose your marriage and kids if you have family.

Yes, the more ridiculous or hard to comply a law is, the more likely a judge will strike it down. But again, how many wins do we have there (no slight on the lawyers and groups fighting hard in courts for us)?

PS one other correction, 2/3rds of voters care more about other issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom