How long is the MSP Licensing handgun PIN valid?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I received a PIN from MSP licensing a few months back for a planned handgun purchase that I never made. Would it still be valid or should I just go on-line and submit a new application?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Assuming you're referring to the online 77R process? Those pending requests seem to be viable indefinitely. I've used one that was almost a year old.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    The PIN (personal identification number) is issued to an individual who has a name, DOB, address, or other identification marker which is shared by, or common to, prohibited individuals. The PIN is issued after a background investigation clears a person as “Not Prohibited”. The purpose being that the person to whom the PIN is issued can then use that PIN in future firearms transactions. Thereby reducing the likelihood of being denied the purchase.

Example:
    John Doe- male- 01/28/1990... has a long record of criminal convictions.
    He once lived at 122 Any Place, Balto. Md.
    He is prohibited

Jon Dough- male- 01/26/1990... is your average law abiding citizen. No criminal history.
    He lives at 122 Any Street, Balto. Md.
    He is NOT prohibited.

Yet every time Jon Dough tries to purchase a firearm... he is initially denied and processing is delayed pending review... due to the similarities between the ID facts on record for he and John Doe.

So Jon Dough applies for and is issued a MSP PIN which becomes his unique identifier for all future firearms transactions in the state of Maryland. Using that PIN speeds up the background check on the state level.

Protect that PIN and don’t share it with anyone who does not “need to know”. It tells the MSP Investigator that the person using it... has already been investigated and, at that time, found to be “not prohibited/not disapproved”.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I thought he was referring to the pin that comes with every MSP application. I thought it was a new PIN for every application, but I never looked at my old emails and compared the numbers.

Edit- On further review they are always different for each application

Inspector1489

Ultimate Member
    May 27, 2016
    FL panhandle
    I thought he was referring to the pin that comes with every MSP application. I thought it was a new PIN for every application, but I never looked at my old emails and compared the numbers.

Yes...every completed 77R generates an "application number" (beginning with the year it was submitted), and within that application number is the 4 number PIN that the ffl uses to complete their part once the item is in their location.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

Yes...every completed 77R generates an "application number" (beginning with the year it was submitted), and within that application number is the 4 number PIN that the ffl uses to complete their part once the item is in their location.

Application number is not a PIN.

A PIN is a unique number which the MSP assigns to the individual. It is used as I said... to help the individual get through the background investigation easier when there are questions about similar ID markers between them and other people who are or may be prohibited.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown

A PIN is a unique number which the MSP assigns to the individual. It is used as I said... to help the individual get through the background investigation easier when there are questions about similar ID markers between them and other people who are or may be prohibited.

A 77R submission generates both a unique application number and a unique pin for the specific application.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 7.52.24 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 7.52.24 PM.jpg
      13.4 KB · Views: 275

Inspector1489

Ultimate Member
    May 27, 2016
    FL panhandle

Perhaps a clarification is needed from the OP on what he meant by PIN. Not sure we are discussing the same thing here RD.

My comment refers to both the application number assigned to a 77r and the PIN that is unique to that application number. That is how I (and I believe Tungsten and RRG) understood the OP's question.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Yes. It sounds to me like RD is referring to "UPIN" (Unique Personal Identification Number), used for NICS checks as he illustrated in post 4. I suspect the OP is referring to the "PIN" half of the Application number and PIN, used in the new electronic 77r...which is completely different. Honestly, I don't quite understand why there is an App# and PIN. In my experience, I have never needed one without the other, and, honestly, it might as well just have been a longer App#. Maybe they are used separately if there are any hiccups in the process (which, thank goodness, I haven't experienced yet).

When the system first went electronic, I'm pretty sure I remember the App and PIN "sets" were supposed to expire after 6 months. I can confirm from both personal experience and conversations with my LGS that they do not. In fact, last time we had discussed it, he said that he had never had one rejected due to expiration.

I say try it :shrug: Worst case scenario, you just have to make a new one. I always keep one or two on a post-it note on the back of my HQL just in case I stumble across a deal I can't refuse. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom