• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Currently I have the Bushnell 1x4 Illuminated BDC on my AR. I like it, but I feel like there's a couple flaws. The reticle could be a little larger, plus I think the 4x is a little bit low for me after 100 yd. I was looking at possibly bumping up to 1x6 or maybe even more. I'd like to keep the reticle illuminated for some low light conditions. I regularly shoot between 100-200 yards. I also noticed when it started to get rainy the scope fogged up almost immediately which was a bit disappointing.

I've been looking at Leupold, Vortex, Nikon, Trijicon but just wanted to hear some thoughts from others.

Thanks!

PS: If I get the chance I'm going to try my hand at competition so it would probably be a good idea to get something that can take a little roughing up.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    I have a vxr patrol 1-4 on shorty 300 blk that I really enjoy. Glass is great, dot is small, precise, and just great package. It hurt the wallet though.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I checked on Leupold. This might be the route for me to go since I can use the custom shop to get the kind of reticle I'd like. Thanks for the suggestion!

I highly recommend Leupold's custom shop. I suggest ordering the scope directly from the custom shop instead of buying it someplace else and sending it in. Custom shop scope prices are now the same as retail price, meaning it's usually cheaper (and definitely faster) to order everything at once from the custom shop. I love the 2-7x VX-2 I ordered from them with a German #4 reticle.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Just checked out the custom shop pretty cool. Think once I save couple more pennies my new Tikka ctr will get a present from there.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    With a 1-4x scope with a decent reticle you should be able to nail man sized targets at 400 yards without much effort. Never took me more than one extra shot if that to clean 300-400 yard steel in a 3-gun match and I was 65 years old even then. Also don't think much of first focal plane tactical scopes as I have tried a few and the thickening of the reticle lines as the power goes up can interfere with getting a good sight picture of the target at the high power end. Plus FFP was invented to allow you to keep the correct reticle line spacing regardless of power so the MOA stays the same (paraphrasing)when in fact with tactical scopes you only use 2 power setting, the top and the bottom. All second FP tactical scopes are correct at max power anyway and the reticle lines stay thin so you can see them against the target instead of blocking the target. I do use FFP scopes for higher power shooting which was what it was designed for.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    I have a primary arms 1-6 and so far have only used it at fairly short ranges in carbine classes (<100 yards). At close range I thought it performed fine, though was not quite as fast as my Eotech.

I would like to have a chance to shoot it at longer distances and try the bdc.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    With a 1-4x scope with a decent reticle you should be able to nail man sized targets at 400 yards without much effort.

Agreed. Higher magnification isn't a substitute for excellent glass. Buy the glass first and magnification second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom