• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    The most interesting thing about the ambush was the posse was not under orders to try to arrest and detain. Lawman Frank Hamer and his crew staged a disabled car on the road that Bonnie & Clyde were expected to travel on--using a man known to the gangsters so as to encourage them to come to a stop.

There was no plan to surround the car and demand surrender. Hamer and his posse were given the green light to just blast them to smithereens when they came to a stop.

Yeah...they'd had enough of that stuff. Can you imagine the [[media-driven]] uproar if that were to happen today? :lol2:

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I love the story but I would certainly not be a bidder--no way I know of to say that the Colt was there for sure, and no way to know that it was not there.

I tend to agree with SOMD Mustangs and the Rev that the pistol taped to her leg was her only carry weapon. She was tiny and I don't think would have carried a second pistol.

Also, Bonnie & Clyde were way off the beaten track and the evidence is that they felt safe and unseen in backwoods Louisiana--so come to think of it, not likely Bonnie would have been carrying a second pistol.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      97.4 KB · Views: 309

SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    The most interesting thing about the ambush was the posse was not under orders to try to arrest and detain. Lawman Frank Hamer and his crew staged a disabled car on the road that Bonnie & Clyde were expected to travel on--using a man known to the gangsters so as to encourage them to come to a stop.

There was no plan to surround the car and demand surrender. Hamer and his posse were given the green light to just blast them to smithereens when they came to a stop.

They got exactly what they deserved. More than a few innocents, including young LEOs, one 19 years old and recently married, fell to their hands. Maybe not so much by Bonnie if you know the facts. But certainly by the ones she chose to be with, particularly Clyde and Henry Methvin. Some say it was the severe poverty they grew up in in West Dallas that was the cause. Many others grew up during that time and never resorted to their behavior. The movies about them are utterly ridiculous. Read Go Down Together by Jeff Guinn for a more accurate story. Very interesting.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Just for the heck of it I read through some of the posts (some are quite amusing, actually) and one guy hit it on the head, just what I said:

davidkachel: "ALSO, I call fraud on this gun entirely. First, it is waaaaay too big to have been ‘concealed in the folds of Bonnie Parker’s skirt’, especially in light of her small stature. Second, even in this out of focus photograph, it is plainly obvious this gun has been subjected to the machinations of a ham-fisted, no-talent gunsmith who refinished and re-nickeled it, VERY badly. Note the rounded edges everywhere. That is the sure sign of a refinish by someone who doesn’t know how to do it..."

That guy's opinion sums up my thoughts about the pistol. It's a bubba gun of unknown origin and history unless proven otherwise beyond a doubt, including how/when/why the gun was modified from original.

Here's a comparison of historical significance. A proven Custer cavalry pistol, typically Colt 1873 with 7.5" barrel, can go for huge money in original condition. Heavily-modified examples, even if re-arsenalized one or more times by Colt, tend to sell for a tiny fraction of unmolested originals. The "Bonnie" gun, even if she really possessed it, is likely to suffer the same value loss if it was heavily bubba'd after the fact.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I don't believe the story about the gun for a second. The Texas Ranger (retired) Frank Hamer that was persuing them at the time knew full well that memoriobilia from B&C would be worth a lot.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Just for the heck of it I read through some of the posts (some are quite amusing, actually) and one guy hit it on the head, just what I said:

davidkachel: "ALSO, I call fraud on this gun entirely. First, it is waaaaay too big to have been ‘concealed in the folds of Bonnie Parker’s skirt’, especially in light of her small stature. Second, even in this out of focus photograph, it is plainly obvious this gun has been subjected to the machinations of a ham-fisted, no-talent gunsmith who refinished and re-nickeled it, VERY badly. Note the rounded edges everywhere. That is the sure sign of a refinish by someone who doesn’t know how to do it..."

Yessir! And if you look at the photos of what Bonnie was wearing, she had on a fairly thin and form-fitting skirt. I'm sure that, as was the style back then, she had on some sort of "slip" undergarment, but those were also form-fitting. She was a "flapper" ... not a Southern belle in a hoop skirt and crinolines.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I actually found a gun in my basement belonging to Bernard & Clysthby, the famous two butler brothers-turned-mafia. It was hidden behind a false wood panel in this antique wine rack autographed by Ricky Skaggs.

You are resurrecting a thread that has been dead for 15 months to tell us this? :tdown:

BTW the gun sold for $99,450... well below estimates. Lots more pics of the gun here.
    http://caseantiques.com/item/lot-404-38-colt-model-1902-pistol-bonnie-clyde-2/

Supposedly she had a nicer 45 on her lap:
    http://www.redriverhistorian.com/bonnie.html

No, the gun doesn't print on her skirt,
    arcadia-bonnie.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads