• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I think young people in the future will inherit huge pallets of .22 from their daddies who stacked it deep and barely shot it. Those hoards will be offered up for sale and it could go back to 5 cents a round.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    All other ammo is pretty much caught up, even 22 is coming in spurts, but still is hard to find with any consistency, especially at stores without box limits. Same with Pistol powder for reloading. The guy at my local Walmart says there are a couple people waiting every Tuesday morning for 22, when the ammo truck arrives around 8am every week. Used to have a 2 brick/200rd limit, but said every hoarder that showed up called the corporate complaint line every day who kept forcing them not to enforce the limit, so they don't any more, so it's usually sold out right away, probably the same people selling a pile of $50 bulk packs at every gun show. At Trop, soon as 22 hits the shelf, everyone in the store picks up their 1brick/150rd max, but whatever is left will sit on the shelf for hours or days. Smart hoarders probably stopped buying montha ago, and are probably near sold out at high prices, small time hoarders will panic and dump their inventories soon as the music stops, which is coming, and it isn't far off where normal shooters will be able to stock the few bricks they feel comfortable with. I think the 22 production run that overwhelms the hoarders and halts demand is coming really soon, just about everything else is back to normal now.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Dicks has Remington .22 $24.99 per 525 count this week. Limit 1 per customer.

Dick's where, Dick's when?
    Every time I go there it's gone. However the sense I get is that are selling some of their stock every few days rather than putting it all out on day 1.

The other good news is that the Cabellas FED 325 pack deal lasted a day or two, previously it would be gone by the second post 20 min later.

There is a survey somewhere on MDS and there others online of how much 22lr people want. When people think they need 10K to 50K rounds, the shortage is only going to be prolonged. Just do the math, if 1 mil want 10k rounds, that's 10 billion rounds, twice the annual production.

The article did not solve anything. S&W and Ruger are lousy stock trades at the moment, but it doesn't mean that you will be able to walk into Dicks on Thursday and be able to buy a brick of 22.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Dick's where, Dick's when?
    Every time I go there it's gone. However the sense I get is that are selling some of their stock every few days rather than putting it all out on day 1.

The other good news is that the Cabellas FED 325 pack deal lasted a day or two, previously it would be gone by the second post 20 min later.

There is a survey somewhere on MDS and there others online of how much 22lr people want. When people think they need 10K to 50K rounds, the shortage is only going to be prolonged. Just do the math, if 1 mil want 10k rounds, that's 10 billion rounds, twice the annual production.

The article did not solve anything. S&W and Ruger are lousy stock trades at the moment, but it doesn't mean that you will be able to walk into Dicks on Thursday and be able to buy a brick of 22.

The Dick's in Bel Air had a PILE of 22 a couple of weeks ago

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Mystery? There's no mystery here.

This is what happens when citizens don't trust their government.

People buy .22lr to defend against the government? :lol2:

Motley Fool is right on, civilian demand enormously spiked for a few reasons:

1. People bought all the "big" calibers after Sandy Hook, making the price crazy.
    When people think about what they can do to shoot cheap, first thing is: .22lr. EVERYBODY owns a .22lr.
    2. .22lr is cheap enough for the common shooter to hoard.
    3. Gunbroker. None of this would have happened without the internet.
    4. Opportunistic retired faux-capitalists.

The .22lr shortage CERTAINLY wasn't USG caused. USG doesn't buy .22lr.

-Jim

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    Some of the response in that article made me chuckle. Especially, the guy who hasnt shot his guns in 10 years, but is looking to get to 1000 rounds per weapon and lists 3 weapons.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    People buy .22lr to defend against the government? :lol2:

Motley Fool is right on, civilian demand enormously spiked for a few reasons:

1. People bought all the "big" calibers after Sandy Hook, making the price crazy.
    When people think about what they can do to shoot cheap, first thing is: .22lr. EVERYBODY owns a .22lr.
    2. .22lr is cheap enough for the common shooter to hoard.
    3. Gunbroker. None of this would have happened without the internet.
    4. Opportunistic retired faux-capitalists.

The .22lr shortage CERTAINLY wasn't USG caused. USG doesn't buy .22lr.

-Jim

People buy 22 for whatever reason they deem fit. "Defend against the government" wasn't mentioned, but "defend" is indeed applicable just the same. You think you're not seeing defensive behavior at play here?

People are defending against a myriad of things, the list of which varies, and the list of which is far too extensive to itemize. Boil it down to a perceived uncertainty and a well founded mistrust regarding one's continued ability to purchase the most common cartridge for the most common chambering available to American gun owners. For whatever reason.

The government and the perception of restrictive governmental policy indeed was and indeed continues to be the root cause of the uncertainty and the subsequent behavior we've seen. Respectfully sir, not a mention on your list was the catalyst of the 22LR issues we have presently. Not any more than the runs on ammunition of other chambering that happened concurrently. They're all symptomatic of an underlying mistrust in the continuing ability of individuals to obtain product.

No mystery. Indeed, quite predictable, and perfectly consistent with the idea to secure today what you may be unable to secure tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Now that .22 is coming back, I am going to stockpile as much as possible and then sell it for a huge profit if a Democrat wins the 2016 election.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    All this talk about ammo is making me want to buy another couple of cases. I think I need to build another bunker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom