Banks that do NFA trust checking accounts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    A trust is not a legal entity (as defined in other sections of MD law).

I believe the purpose of the trust checking account is to fund the trust, so that the trust is valid when you file the paperwork with ATF (trust does not come into existence until funded, I believe.) It would be the same as people who place a $1 bill in the Schedule A before sending it off to ATF.

I cannot think of anything bad that would happen without a trust account, or paying the transfer fee out of any personal account. Hell, the transfer fee is payable by the transferor under the law, and we're talking about transferees paying the tax. ATF wants the money, they don't care who or what it comes from, IMO.

I've answered this question before - earlier in this thread I might add - but for the sake of brevity, here is my take on this issue:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=1241383&postcount=108

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    This may be a stupid question. If I am looking to purchase an NFA item, should I have a trust drawn up, open a trust checking account and apply for a tax ID number prior to purchasing any NFA items? I guess the real question is, will BATF accept a trust application without an item or is the fact that the trust checking account is funded enough for submission?

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    This may be a stupid question. If I am looking to purchase an NFA item, should I have a trust drawn up, open a trust checking account and apply for a tax ID number prior to purchasing any NFA items? I guess the real question is, will BATF accept a trust application without an item or is the fact that the trust checking account is funded enough for submission?

Feel free to give my office a call; I am happy to discuss this matter with you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm not sure if I posted in the earlier life of this thread , but TD Bank handles Trust account with no issues or hassles. They're not on every street corner , but I am as satisfied with them for normal banking as I am with any bank.

Slick17

Aug 10, 2012
    Frederick
    Anyone recently set up anything with PNC? Heard they were good and then went south.

Rusty, I'll probably be in contact with you soon. Spoke to you earlier last year but never got around to finalizing everything.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    For you folks with trust checking accounts, are your checks in the name of the trust or the account holder? Bank provided checks have the account holder's name on them and they spieled that it was not a mistake, despite the account being in the name of the trust techncially.

d_c

Jul 7, 2009
    Texas
    For you folks with trust checking accounts, are your checks in the name of the trust or the account holder? Bank provided checks have the account holder's name on them and they spieled that it was not a mistake, despite the account being in the name of the trust techncially.

Mine are marked:

TRUST NAME
    MY NAME TRUSTEE

doofoo

Dec 28, 2009

My bank asked me how I wanted it. Trust Name + Trustee names, or just Trust Name. I opted for just the trust name on the checks.

I was also able to get a debit card from the trust account - it carries my name only.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia

I was given options when I opened the account. Since I'm currently the only trustee I ended up choosing:

Trust
    Trustee

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Hm, interesting. Thanks. Not sure if it's worth spending a couple bucks on new checks, thus delaying my forms, or to just send in the checks I have. This is my trust's bank account, but the check does not carry the name.

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    those of you that used capital 360, how did you set up the account using the trust info? all i see are options for names and SS#s.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Hm, interesting. Thanks. Not sure if it's worth spending a couple bucks on new checks, thus delaying my forms, or to just send in the checks I have. This is my trust's bank account, but the check does not carry the name.

Ask if you can get a debit card. That way you can efile instead of paper

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    those of you that used capital 360, how did you set up the account using the trust info? all i see are options for names and SS#s.

You create the account in your name, then you convert it to a trust account. Once the account's created, login. You should be in the My Accounts -> Summary area. Click the name of the account where it says 360 Checking - 'account nickname'. This will load the Transactions tab inside the Account Details section - click the Forms tab all the way to the right of the Transactions tab and Living Trust will be the 4th form down.

Ask if you can get a debit card. That way you can efile instead of paper

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Have the debit card. Need the check to pay a vendor - cash discount and all you know? I'm not overly concerned about the trust name not appearing on the check, but I will contact the bank one more time to get this sorted out.

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    You create the account in your name, then you convert it to a trust account. Once the account's created, login. You should be in the My Accounts -> Summary area. Click the name of the account where it says 360 Checking - 'account nickname'. This will load the Transactions tab inside the Account Details section - click the Forms tab all the way to the right of the Transactions tab and Living Trust will be the 4th form down.

Have the debit card. Need the check to pay a vendor - cash discount and all you know? I'm not overly concerned about the trust name not appearing on the check, but I will contact the bank one more time to get this sorted out.

I should have followed up. I figured it out shortly after posting that.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I should have followed up. I figured it out shortly after posting that.

Do note that Capital One 360 will not issue checks with the name of the trust - only the account holder and joint account holder. After speaking with several people there is no resolution. In addition, the stipulations of the account are that third party checks cannot be used - only Capital One 360 issued checks are available ($5/50, first book free). Not a deal breaker and I don't think the ramifications are all that serious, but just something to note.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    A bay bank rep said they don't do anything with gambling or firearms trusts.

I was told at M&T bank that I needed to have an EIN to open a living trust account and that all trustees had to be present to open an account.

I'm having a hard enough time getting my co-trustee in front of notary, getting them to a bank during business hours is going to be virtually impossible.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    A bay bank rep said they don't do anything with gambling or firearms trusts.

I was told at M&T bank that I needed to have an EIN to open a living trust account and that all trustees had to be present to open an account.

I'm having a hard enough time getting my co-trustee in front of notary, getting them to a bank during business hours is going to be virtually impossible.

M&T opened mine no problem... wife (co-trustee) was not present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom