• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Just double checking, it is legal to purchase a pistol length upper as long as it is never put on a rifle lower that isnt NFA registered correct?

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    I may be way off base but I believe as long as you don't put a stock on it, then it is just a pistol.

Putting a stock on makes it SBR.

Brad

Mar 20, 2013
    Glen Arm
    It is legal as long as it does not have a stock (or can accept a stock, if you use a regular buffer you need to wrap it in paracord or put some foam or something to make it so a stock wont fit.)or vertical front grip.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I would not recommend buying a pistol length complete upper until you have a lower in hand that is not registered as a rifle lower. The possession of a pistol bbl'd upper without a mating lower could land you in big trouble!

If you want to build a pistol, you need to get the lower, registered as 'other', not 'rifle' and it cannot have been used in a rifle build before (never had a shoulderable stock installed on it). So.. get a stripped lower, (or build one and eliminate the registration issues), then get your parts to complete the build. It cannot have a stock on it, most of use use dedicated pistol tubes in place of CAR buffer tubes so that no stock can be attached.

If you have a built, legal rifle in your possession and also a pistol upper with no mating lower, they can say you have the intent to use the pistol upper on the rifle lower, that is a big $$$ nono!

Do it right and enjoy!! :beer:

DSC00559800x399_zpscfe3e217.jpg

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I would not recommend buying a pistol length complete upper until you have a lower in hand that is not registered as a rifle lower. The possession of a pistol bbl'd upper without a mating lower could land you in big trouble!

If you want to build a pistol, you need to get the lower, registered as 'other', not 'rifle' and it cannot have been used in a rifle build before (never had a shoulderable stock installed on it). So.. get a stripped lower, (or build one and eliminate the registration issues), then get your parts to complete the build. It cannot have a stock on it, most of use use dedicated pistol tubes in place of CAR buffer tubes so that no stock can be attached.

If you have a built, legal rifle in your possession and also a pistol upper with no mating lower, they can say you have the intent to use the pistol upper on the rifle lower, that is a big $$$ nono!

Do it right and enjoy!! :beer:

Well i would but it isnt for me, it will be going to maine and ultimately to canada.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Well i would but it isnt for me, it will be going to maine and ultimately to canada.
    Ahh.. can't help ya there, though I know Canadian laws are quite strict about bringing in weapons, especially pistols. I travel up every summer for fishing and go unarmed.. except for my trusty fillet knife... :lol2:;)

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Ahh.. can't help ya there, though I know Canadian laws are quite strict about bringing in weapons, especially pistols. I travel up every summer for fishing and go unarmed.. except for my trusty fillet knife... :lol2:;)

It isnt difficult to bring parts across. I imagine a lower would be more difficult but in the U.S. and Canada an upper is only considered a part not a firearm.
    I will not ever have possession of it unless I have to ship it here and then again to maine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom