• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madness3120

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2012
    If im able to find a .223 rifle lets say. Is it wise to go ahead and buy now or would you wait to see what happens and the wording of this bill? I don't want to plot down the cash just for the law to say I can not transport it to a range.

RedWolf762

Jan 18, 2013
    Freedom
    I agree with buying now and fighting for your rights if you can afford it. That being said, if you are buying now it may be wise to shop around not for the best price but for the rifle that comes with the most magazines.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Buy it now and fight for your rights.
    This - that's how I see it anyway.

I am sure i will be called crazy but i think the cost for stuff is just too high right now.
    Prices are high, but the way I see it, this stupid bill is probably going to pass, and it will be years before it is challenged to a degree that it will be overturned. In the interim, the OP won't be able to get anything if they don't get it now, even if the prices are insane.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Bottom line: if you think your money is worth what you get for it then buy.

Also consider in your assessment what it will be worth to you to have it when/if the bills pass and you can no longer make that purchase. Will you wish you had when you could?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Prices are high, but the way I see it, this stupid bill is probably going to pass, and it will be years before it is challenged to a degree that it will be overturned. In the interim, the OP won't be able to get anything if they don't get it now, even if the prices are insane.
    That's not necessarily true. If there's an injunction, which is a distinct possibility, the law might not be in effect for a while. That said, the bill is crafted so as to avoid an injunction by grandfathering everything.

As to whether or not to buy now: unless something really bizarre happens with that bill, you've got until October to get what you need. You need to do the personal math on whether you think prices will come down significantly before then, and whether you'll be able to get certain guns by then. Personally, I have been willing to pay a certain premium to get guns I don't think I will be able to acquire later, but I'm simply not willing to pay $800 extra on a $1200 gun. If that means I don't get a Sig 556R, well, that's life.

What you definitely want to avoid is buying stuff that won't be covered by the ban. Bolt guns and pumps are totally off the table for me until next year.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    It's ALWAYS a good time to buy, but in MD you will have to wait several weeks if it's regulated. Just watch out for price gougers.

I've got all the parts for an AR lower (waiting on paperwork to pick up the lower) and the only thing I really paid a premium for is the stripped lower. Deals on things like stripped uppers and mags can be found if you're patient and really look. BCGs and LPKs are really hard to find at a decent price though.

I can't speak for the other "assault weapons", but I imagine its much the same.

Last edited:

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    If it's rent, grocery or diaper money...... NO.

If you can afford to spend a few grand now that may do you no good if the laws swing against us..... YES.

squirrelly1

Sep 10, 2012
    If we could consult a crystal ball... With that being said, I agree with the above. Buy what you can at the best price you can and fight tooth and nail to keep it!

czpat

Jan 25, 2013
    Montgomery County
    I had the same decision to make recently. I had been planning to purchase an AR for several months and wanted to wait until after the holidays passed, well I did and got hammered by the price increase. I'd rather spend more now and fight for what I have rather than not not have and wish I did. Also, I was not spending rent, food or diaper money.

Good luck with your decision.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    If it's rent, grocery or diaper money...... NO.

If you can afford to spend a few grand now that may do you no good if the laws swing against us..... YES.

****Diaper money?? Jesus, how old are you guys?? :lol:

If you can find something you like now, at a price that is affordable to you buy it. If the laws change and the Govt stops manufacturers/retailers from allowing sales of certain firearms to MD you will be kicking yourself for not getting what you wanted before the ban if it goes through.

The way the media is hammering on legit gun owners now, I am not as confident things won't change for the worst here in the People's Republic of Maryland..

I had no desire myself for either an AR or an AK until tension started to build during the run-up to the election. Then I still didn't move fast enough before the CT shootings. (Spending all my gun money on old revolvers and ammo for them.) Jumped on the bandwagon at the last Timonium show when Lou got in his last-minute mega-load of surplus Mini-14s. I figure what the hell, better to buy than kick myself down the road, and this way I've only got $700 invested. For the rifle. Plus extra mags. Plus ammo. Plus . . . .

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Waiting here... have until October to acquire, assuming this passes. Can get a transfer if necessary. That may change though if something gets through nationally, but I doubt that at this point.

PharaohF4

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2010
    I had the same decision to make recently. I had been planning to purchase an AR for several months and wanted to wait until after the holidays passed, well I did and got hammered by the price increase. I'd rather spend more now and fight for what I have rather than not not have and wish I did. Also, I was not spending rent, food or diaper money.

Good luck with your decision.

Me too, I've was tossing around the idea for almost a year now about getting AR. Part of my reason was "Just in case" I can't later. Well I should have learned my lesson. Recently I bought a stripped lower and I just found a LPK. So I figured if I shop around, I'll be able to get everything for at least one gun before any laws pass (hoping none do though).

I should have learned from my previous mistake in the past. Before the last Hurricane came through, I think Irene, I didn't think to get a generator until the day of the storm. Lucky HD had received a truck load the night before and didn't really price gouge. My power went out that night and within 4 hours my sump pump was 1/2 inch from overflowing. My power was off for a week. Had I not got the generator, I would have been under a foot of water in my basement by weekend.

Now I keep asking myself what else do I need to buy before there is an urgent need... gold/silver coins, keeping more cash at home (cyber attack on banks), bullet proof vest (you never know why you may need one), more ammo (too late, right now), canned foods and bottled water, etc. However I am starting my go-bag with some basics.

Sorry rant over.

So back to the OP, shop around and buy the gun or even a stripped lower now, if you can afford it.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I would wait to see what gets signed into law. My concern is with grandfathering and the word "possess" and whether there are any stipulations attached to it and, too, whether it means that we can continue to transport and use the firearm. I don't see any definition of the word in the proposed legislation. Grandfathering needs further clarification.

Also, there will be more firearms on the market once the MD bill is signed and it's clear what we've been saddled with, and if there is nothing pending at the Federal level, prices will decrease somewhat.

AR-15 HBARs are currently unregulated in MD but it's not certain what their status will be under the new law, and some will come to market if they are banned.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Here's now I look at it: Would you buy this gun if there were no legislation pending? If not, I would not buy. If you would, I'd suggest waiting until the national craze damps down (around May), then buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom