• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BPSballistics

Aug 11, 2012
    Glen burnie
    I have a Ruger GP100 6" barrel. I have a few boxes of 357 mag just to have but want to run 38 spcl or 38+p has anyone done this and does it still fire ok? just trying to save money if im shooting target and save my 357 mag up.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    It handles them both just fine. I DO subscribe to the theory of firing .357's on occasion or you may find the build up from the .38's makes it harder to get the longer .357's in the chambers.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I will add that my 4" Gp-100 does well with any round I've run through it. For factory ammo, it's most accurate with either 158gr .38+p or 125gr .357.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Just to assure you, it is absolutely correct that you can shoot factory .357, 38 Special, or 38+p ammo through a functioning GP100.

For the record, this is my favorite revolver, and I've met in person some of the individual's giving you this same advice above, and believe them to be both knowledgable and of good character.

I too recommend shooting .357 magnum rounds through it from time to time, to help keep it from having issues down the road. Good to feel the difference in recoil with these different bullets. For HD or carry, I'd probably go with .357 mag loads. Evan Marshals 'one shot stop' research indicates that the .357 mag, 125g Silver Tip bullet was top stopper of all handgun rounds (during his data call period). Just trivia now, most any modern bullet of .380 or above is probably sufficient in skilled hands for most self defense applications.

If needed, apply liberally. :)

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    I had one and am looking to buy another in the future(next year possibly after a Remington R1) and they will shoot any pressure ammo on the market. Enjoy!!

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Can't you just clean the chambers?

OP get your self a chamber brush. Shoot all the 38spl you want, clean it well.

If I plan on shooting both .357 and .38 any particular day, I try to shoot all of the .357 I'm going to shoot before switching to .38. I've noticed that if I run .38 first, there's a small build up of crud that requires a nudge as you seat a .357. That build can contribute to an overpressure in the right circumstances. If I absolutely have to go back to .357 after .38, I'll give the chambers a quick pass with a brush to knock loose some of the fouling and ease my mind. Might not be necessary, but certainly not a bad idea.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    It handles them both just fine. I DO subscribe to the theory of firing .357's on occasion or you may find the build up from the .38's makes it harder to get the longer .357's in the chambers.

Perhaps some people who own revolvers sometimes forget to clean the cylinder chambers also. When I clean a revolver, I clean the barrel AND the
    cylinder chambers. The cylinder gets really 'cruddy'!!:thumbsup:

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    If you reload, try a 158gr copper plated LRN bullet on top of 15.2 grains of 2400 powder. That's a nice .357 Magnum load....the GP100 will love you for it.

BPSballistics

Aug 11, 2012
    Glen burnie
    Wow alot of good info here thank you everybody. Good stuff I guess I will pick up 38Spcl and +P and toy around to see what i like. I do have 357 mag rounds that I will run occasionally but thank you every one alot of input here.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Not much one can add to the above info....except..

There's a GP-100 For Sale in the Classifieds.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom