• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zmayhem

Feb 2, 2012
    I picked up a Glock this year, have not noticed any trouble with the grip angle or ergonomics at all. This is a Gen4 G26.

From what I can tell, the whole "grip angle" thing is a way overblown case of "this gun is mildly different from the gun you were shooting for the last two years". Mine pointed very well for me, and it shoots with surprising accuracy (considering the size), which is the only thing that matters, ultimately.

I suspect that some trigger time with one would make it very familiar and natural feeling to you as well. Maybe a couple of boxes at a rental range would help out?

Gundahar

The grip angle is much different on a Glock, I wouldn't say it's "overblown", just not as pronounced on the sub-compacts as it is on the larger ones. On the 26 and 27, the grip is much shorter so it's not as noticeable. I would definitely prefer a glock to any S&W, still pissed that my Walther has to have a S&W stamp on it...lol

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    get a m&p???:shrug:

you could always look in to grip reductions for the glock if you're not planning on eventually selling it. Cutting down the hump makes a pretty big difference. Otherwise, concentrate on driving your support hand thumb along the side of the g19 and it should help drop the front sight down.

Excellent idea!!! :party29:

gasman

Oct 8, 2007
    Baltimore City
    OLM-medic, you shoot your Sig just fine. Don't fall into the trap of constantly trying to improve your hardware at the expense of neglecting the software. I've seen you shoot. The Sig works for you. I wouldn't mess with what works.

If you find that you absolutely have to go polymer, you can consider a grip reduction on the Glock, or try to get a hold of one of the Gen 4 with a smaller backstrap. I would also consider the M&P and the XD as alternatives.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    <--- owner of 3rd Gen Glock 19 RTF2. I have around 2500 rounds through it so far and have never taken brass to the face...

I shoot Glocks very well. I'm decent with my 19, but insane with my buddy's G21SF. Need a G21SF...

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    OLM-medic, you shoot your Sig just fine. Don't fall into the trap of constantly trying to improve your hardware at the expense of neglecting the software. I've seen you shoot. The Sig works for you. I wouldn't mess with what works.

If you find that you absolutely have to go polymer, you can consider a grip reduction on the Glock, or try to get a hold of one of the Gen 4 with a smaller backstrap. I would also consider the M&P and the XD as alternatives.

Thanks. I like the gun a lot, but it was actually in your class that I started to notice it might not be THE BEST for me. The grip is a bit big for my hand, and I found myself changing my grip because I had to adjust my grip to "reach" around to the mag release instead of being able to reach my thumb to it, then readjust my grip to shoot.

The DA/SA issue isn't too bad, but I've come to realize that I don't need it as a safety feature like I thought I did when I was new to handguns.

It's not about a polymer handgun either, It's just about me trying to see if something else works better for me. I love the P226, but I think I should give some other guns a try since I really never did.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I love my P226, but I'm starting to realize it might not be the perfect gun for me.

I want to like the Glock 19, but that grip puts me off. I always want to aim too high due to the grip angle. Does anyone else have any experience with getting used to the grip angle?

I tried, and tried and tried... but could never get used to it. The gun was always pointing too high and I had to adjust. Rapid target alignment was impossible even after literally thousands of rounds practicing. So I offloaded my second to last Glock (a 21c) last weekend because I NEVER shot them. The only Glock I have left is an old 30... which has some sentimental value as my first handgun and a 21st birthday gift from my father.

That does not mean that I don't like tupperware... I have 4 M&P's which I really enjoy shooting. :D

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    From experience, I agree with gasman. If the P226 is too big for your hands, moving to Gen3 Glock will not help. Gen4 9mm problems can be way too much of a PITA to risk your money on. The M&P9 should be a much better fit for smaller hands.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Ive hated glocks, and poly pistols in general for years...finally manned up and got a glock 27 gen 4...just brought it home today. The subcompacts feel alot better to me than the larger ones.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    From experience, I agree with gasman. If the P226 is too big for your hands, moving to Gen3 Glock will not help. Gen4 problems can be way too much of a PITA to risk your money on. The M&P9 should be a much better fit for smaller hands.

My hands aren't small. I have just noticed some things when actually taking a gun in the class, as opposed to shooting it at the range. When I shot a Glock 19 I actually liked how it felt in my hand. It was just the shooting high issue.

Also, were you in that class with me?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    <--- owner of 3rd Gen Glock 19 RTF2. I have around 2500 rounds through it so far and have never taken brass to the face...

I shoot Glocks very well. I'm decent with my 19, but insane with my buddy's G21SF. Need a G21SF...

I have the same issue, the 17/22 isn't comfortable, and points way high, the 19/23 are better, but still hard for me to shoot fast without a lot of practice, but ANY SF model feels awesome, 20, 21, 29, 30, they sit just right, and they don't have the issue with pointing high, in fact a G30SF is my primary carry gun, and I can put holes through holes as quick as most any other pistol. Most people that feel this way blame the grip angle, although it really isn't that unusual measured at the front strap, it is the hump on the backstrap that is at fault for me, the SF models significantly reduce this hump, and the slightly larger grip fits my hands better.

As far as the OP's question goes, a LOT of people have issues with GLOCKs, or most any other gun out there, you will shoot best what you are most comfortable with, GLOCKs are not alone in the plastic pistol world anymore, the M&P is giving them a run for their money, and even so, metal frames are far from obsolete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom