• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    That's a great idea, I'll bet it's not too difficult to engineer something similar in the plumbing isle at Lowes or wherever. Maybe I'll do that the next time I'm aimlessly walking around there like an idiot looking for something!

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I just put a bore plug at the muzzle, and then use a spray bottle of 90/10 water/ballistol till it overflows. Drain, repeat, done. It can be done at the range in a couple of minutes. Then cean as usual. AKs are a bit more involved due to the gas tube, but the process is the same. It sounds like the system in the link is for use at home, so why not just spray the hose into the breech/gas tube? You'd still get plenty of water flow like that, without the fancy adapter.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    It sounds like the system in the link is for use at home, so why not just spray the hose into the breech/gas tube? You'd still get plenty of water flow like that, without the fancy adapter.

So you don't get your stock/sling/action wet. With old bolt-action rifles, I don't remove the stock when cleaning after the range. Screws can get worn, bedding can loosen up, etc. If you don't remove the barreled action from the stock and just hose away, water can get between the stock and metal and rust up. Plus soak your sling, magazine, pants, etc. :D

VTX1800

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 29, 2011
    AA County
    Looks like a big pain in the ass to me and totally unnecessary.

Just get some WWII USGI bore solvent.

I start with Ed's Red to get the heavy fouling out.
    Then two patches wet of WWII USGI bore solvent and running a dry patch in between each wet patch.
    One can will last you a very long time because you only need two wet patches per cleaning.
    Then my usual cleaning routine i use on any rifle without corrosive ammo.
    Been doing that for two decades of shooting corrosive ammo.
    Never ever had rust start in a bore on any of my rifles...ever :thumbsup:

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    So you don't get your stock/sling/action wet. With old bolt-action rifles, I don't remove the stock when cleaning after the range. Screws can get worn, bedding can loosen up, etc. If you don't remove the barreled action from the stock and just hose away, water can get between the stock and metal and rust up. Plus soak your sling, magazine, pants, etc. :D

Good point. I'm not used to having to worry about wood stocks and such, at least not until I got my C&R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom