• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    Heard on the news that "Records obtained by the Baltimore Sun" showed that that wackjob that made the threatening phone call about shooting his workplace up and called himself "The Joker" had a special permit that allowed him to purchase more than one gun per month.

Is this information (who are designated collectors) SUPPOSED to be public?

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I commented ...

And no one ever drove an automobile while under the influence and killed someone.

My point is that, just like a DUI, this scenario had three inseparable parts and citing just the gun as the problem does little if anything to address the other two. To an unstable person REALLY meaning to do harm, the mechanism is just an aftertought.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    So anyone can find out who is a designated collector and target them for a burglary/theft?
    Nice.

As the old Valley Gun bumper sticker said "Buy a gun a month, it's the law"

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    So anyone can find out who is a designated collector and target them for a burglary/theft?
    Nice.

Who knows how they got that information.

If it's like the handgun permit information, you have to request the information by name. You can't just ask for "the list".

We've been told that some documents aren't available at all if they are classified as an "investigatory document". I don't know if that's the case.

However, information is leaked all of the time from the MSP. "Their" side uses those sources, as does "our" side.

If you get arrested for something, you should presume that there will not be one bit of personal information that is not leaked to the press.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If you get arrested for something, you should presume that there will not be one bit of personal information that is not leaked to the press.

Which is why adding additional documentation to a handgun permit application than what is required, isn't the greatest idea.

Training
    Other Carry Permits
    Qualificatons
    Gun Club membership​

My interviewer was taken aback, because I would only let him review the documentation, but not attach a copy of supporting documentation with the permit application itself.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Who knows how they got that information.

If it's like the handgun permit information, you have to request the information by name. You can't just ask for "the list".

We've been told that some documents aren't available at all if they are classified as an "investigatory document". I don't know if that's the case.

However, information is leaked all of the time from the MSP. "Their" side uses those sources, as does "our" side.

A while back the Low explosives users permit (LEUP) list was made public by the BATF online. So ANYONE could learn the name and address on EVERY LEUP holder in the USA. This told them where to go to find explosive materials,, Nice eh? This raised an uproar in the hobby communities that are required to possess a LUEP. So I wouldn't put anything past anybody.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom