• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    I have a full can of Dupont FF Black powder dated 1924.
    Would it still be good? Does it even go bad or get unstable?
    I am not a black powder guy and don't especially have a need for it but the can looks kinda cool with the old time label.

Thanks,
    Jay

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Well... that's a big, fat "maybe". BP is actually pretty stable stuff. Its biggest enemy is moisture. Even then, it can be spread out in the sun or a warm, dry environment and be fine when it dries.

What I'd do is take some small amounts, say, a tablespoon at a time, and see how it burns when a long fireplace match is applied to it. Outside, on a safe surface, of course. If it burns bright and doesn't produce a lot of sparks and/or weird behavior, it's probably still good. Maybe you could give it to someone who can use it in a safe way. If you want to keep the can, transfer the powder into a clean metal container with a tight-fitting lid.

Of course, no open flames and no smoking when you're handling it!

If you just want to dump it, spread it on your lawn, it's not a bad fertilizer.

rstickle

Jul 12, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    As long as it's dry it should be good. In my old job I've run into BP that dated back to the Civil War, and was still good.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I have a full can of Dupont FF Black powder dated 1924.
    Would it still be good? Does it even go bad or get unstable?
    I am not a black powder guy and don't especially have a need for it but the can looks kinda cool with the old time label.

Thanks,
    Jay

Shells from the civil war are still killing people.

I'd try and sell it to a collector (by way of a dealer in Md.) vs. shooting it. It's probably way more valuable than the cost of burning the powder especially if it's truly unused.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    It is actually very very difficult to light a teaspoon full of powder in an ash tray by applying a lit match. I tried it years ago, and simply could not get the stuff to go off by laying a lit match on top of it.

What did work was striking a spark into it. I used a Metal Match to strike the spark, and immediately got a very satisfying "FOOM!!!" and a cool little mushroom cloud.

The point is, you might think it's no good if you can't get it to go off with a match. I'll bet that powder is just fine. Don't transfer it to another container not properly marked "Gunpowder. Danger: Explosive!" or whatever marking is required by the fire code.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    It is actually very very difficult to light a teaspoon full of powder in an ash tray by applying a lit match. I tried it years ago, and simply could not get the stuff to go off by laying a lit match on top of it.

What did work was striking a spark into it. I used a Metal Match to strike the spark, and immediately got a very satisfying "FOOM!!!" and a cool little mushroom cloud.

The point is, you might think it's no good if you can't get it to go off with a match. I'll bet that powder is just fine. Don't transfer it to another container not properly marked "Gunpowder. Danger: Explosive!" or whatever marking is required by the fire code.

That's weird. I've seen about 60 grains worth of GOEX FF BP go off just from a flame.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If you play the flame from a propane torch over the powder, I'll bet it will go off.

I couldn't get the stuff to ignite by applying a lit match to a small quantity in an ashtray. I tried repeatedly: it was kind of annoying. Here this can said "DANGER! EXPLOSIVES!" , and there I had a little heap with a burning match just lieing on top, and nothing happened. Match after match just burned down and went out.

But when I got my Metal Match (magnesium fire-starter) and scraped a shower of sparks onto the powder, it instantly ignited with a delightful "FOOM!!"

This was long ago, by the way.
    -----------

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I regularly dispose of old powder both black powder and smokeless powder with just a rolled up paper towel used as a fuse and it all gos puff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom