• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Please don't forget to use the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) link to Amazon, or Amazon Smile, to automatically have part of the sales price go to SAF at no additional cost to you. win/win.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Ordered one today. I was looking at something like this at the Chantilly Gun Show earlier this month and the price there was just under $100. This is a much better deal.

Cal68

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    These are nice, but beware that they are not the thin profile version. You may have trouble shooting a shoulder mounted rifle without them getting in the way.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    These are nice, but beware that they are not the thin profile version. You may have trouble shooting a shoulder mounted rifle without them getting in the way.

Haven't had any problem shoulder a rifle with mine.

These have far more noise protection than do the thin profile version, making them far superior in my book.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013

Hmm. From the pictures, they do look much thicker than the Impact Sport, also on sale at $36.30 w/free shipping at Amazon. http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...rue&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Trade off, it appears. This one's probably better for an indoor handgun range, the other for long guns?

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD

I have these and the slimmer ones too. Great with handguns, not so much with rifles. I generally use the slimmer profile more and keep the fatter ones as backup .

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Haven't had any problem shoulder a rifle with mine.

These have far more noise protection than do the thin profile version, making them far superior in my book.

They are electronic, so not sure I can agree with that. Granted, I haven't tried the thicker ones, but my thin ones work great for my rifles to minimize the sound but I occasionally push the ear up if I am not careful and it opens up the seal.

Hmm. From the pictures, they do look much thicker than the Impact Sport, also on sale at $36.30 w/free shipping at Amazon. http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...rue&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Trade off, it appears. This one's probably better for an indoor handgun range, the other for long guns?

$36.30 is a great price. I would grab them. As mentioned, with them being electronic, I don't see how the thicker ones are any better. I truly have not looked at the specs, but you are welcome to try out mine if we can make it work.

I have these and the slimmer ones too. Great with handguns, not so much with rifles. I generally use the slimmer profile more and keep the fatter ones as backup .

Maybe you can answer the question if the thicker one's are better than the thin ones for noise suppression?

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ***I own both. The thicker ones are very noticeably better for noise suppression. No way I would use the thin ones for an indoor range session without doubling up with std ear plugs under the muffs. IMO the thin ones are not enough noise suppression for larger caliber rifles, nor big bore handguns, outside or inside.

I only shoot handguns, and mostly outdoors, so cannot comment on fit for rifle/shotgun. I've been around others shooting rifle/shotgun and the thin ones doubled up with other plugs seem to be what they use.

I use the thin ones now mostly for home defense purposes, or as spares at the range, etc..

It's a great deal on the set though, I paid significantly more more mine.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I have the thinner ones and if I'm shooting rifles solo outside they are fine. At a match or anything indoors I use foam earplugs with them.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    They are electronic, so not sure I can agree with that. Granted, I haven't tried the thicker ones, but my thin ones work great for my rifles to minimize the sound but I occasionally push the ear up if I am not careful and it opens up the seal.

$36.30 is a great price. I would grab them. As mentioned, with them being electronic, I don't see how the thicker ones are any better. I truly have not looked at the specs, but you are welcome to try out mine if we can make it work.

Maybe you can answer the question if the thicker one's are better than the thin ones for noise suppression?

I have the thinner ones, which I like a lot, and was thinking about a second pair of one or the other at these prices.

Amazon site says both block impulsive noise over 82 dB. The thicker (Pro) ones have a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 30; the thinner ones (Impact Sport, now price is $38.15) have a NRR of 22.

Edit: Fine print also says the Pro amplifies 4x, Impact Sport 3x.

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    Maybe you can answer the question if the thicker one's are better than the thin ones for noise suppression?[/QUOTE]

Thicker ones are better in every way except for the profile. Better noise suppresion and the thinner ones sometimes put out some kind of high pitch hum, not much, but some kind of noise that i havnt experienced with the thicker set. But these things are minor enough for me to still prefer the thinner ones. I feel the thinner ones do a good job with noise suppresion and don't leave me feeling like I have inadequate hearing protection.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    These are 'best value' amplified hear protection; I do like the slim version better (for shooting rifles).

I generally 'double up' wearing ear plugs and ear muffs, so having amplified ear muffs help in every way.

Theses are very popular and legitimately very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom