• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Recently got this in a trade from a friend, thought I would share in case others haven't seen these markings before. I think we're all pretty familiar with the Russian capture marks on German WWII arms, but here is one that ended up with England after the war. This is a Nazi marked Mauser HSc (eagle/135) that also has British proofs along with the stamp "Not English Make". All guns of foreign manufacture entering England from 1925-1954 were required to be marked as such. Given that this one is German military marked it may have been either a British capture or bringback as a soldier would have had to submit the gun to a proof house when bringing it back to the country. This one doesnt have US import marks so it still made it over here sometime before having to get marked up on our end.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      47.1 KB · Views: 241

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Nice, ya there are a lot of german arms floating around with U.S. proofs. There was alos a lot of small import-export activity in the 50s that flowed through the UK.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Interesting gun! I've seen Argentine firearms with British proofs, and have one with German proofs.

It could have also been bought overseas by a US GI or American tourist/worker. In the days pre-9/11 you could legally carry a pistol on a commercial airline by having it unloaded and in a locked box, then checking it. In long-past years I literally have handed the pilot of a commercial flight my pistol (locked up) to hold for me on a flight when I was heading somewhere to ferry an antique plane over rough or remote country. Also, in the days before we had xray machines and body searches, I'm sure a lot of handguns were just put into carry-on bags by people who didn't know the regs ... or didn't care.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Interesting gun! I've seen Argentine firearms with British proofs, and have one with German proofs.

It could have also been bought overseas by a US GI or American tourist/worker. In the days pre-9/11 you could legally carry a pistol on a commercial airline by having it unloaded and in a locked box, then checking it. In long-past years I literally have handed the pilot of a commercial flight my pistol (locked up) to hold for me on a flight when I was heading somewhere to ferry an antique plane over rough or remote country. Also, in the days before we had xray machines and body searches, I'm sure a lot of handguns were just put into carry-on bags by people who didn't know the regs ... or didn't care.

Tell me about it, Ive always wondered how my Persian S&W Mod 10 got into the Country. Someday I need to send away for a letter.

madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC

My dad talks about handing the pilot his ruger single six for transport in the early 70s. i'm sure there would be a lot of drama if someone tried to hand the pilot a gun these days!

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    My dad talks about handing the pilot his ruger single six for transport in the early 70s. i'm sure there would be a lot of drama if someone tried to hand the pilot a gun these days!

Yep! And when the PIC found out that you were also a licensed pilot, you usually got an invitation to see the cockpit. I also had a few rides on a jumpseat in the cockpit of stuff that I wasn't rated to fly, but I was an employee of the airline at the time. Those days, sadly, are gone forever in the U.S..

Jul 1, 2012
    Very interesting Hsc. Does it have the pressure-test proofs on the barrel too? May have to take it apart to see. Should have the caliber and some form of "XX TONNS" or " XX TON PER " something like that.

Some more British proofs:
    Two Colts originally shipped to Colt's London office (the 1905 in 1911, the 1902 in 1929), more than likely appropriated by the British military in WWII, and released to the commercial market post-WWII . Markings on each are a little different but both have the firing test pressure proof markings on the barrel, crown/BNP from the post-war proofing. Since both were shipped direct from Colt's to England, they both have the crown/V proofs on left side of frame and slide, and on barrel as the initial acceptance. Both guns have minimal wear and were probably never issued.

Attachments

• 1905-1.JPG
      1905-1.JPG
      76.9 KB · Views: 178
    • 1905-2.JPG
      1905-2.JPG
      79.7 KB · Views: 181
    • 1902-1.JPG
      1902-1.JPG
      55.9 KB · Views: 176
    • 1902-2.JPG
      1902-2.JPG
      82.7 KB · Views: 183

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Very interesting Hsc. Does it have the pressure-test proofs on the barrel too? May have to take it apart to see. Should have the caliber and some form of "XX TONNS" or " XX TON PER " something like that.

No other British proofs on the barrel that I can find other than the ones visible through the ejection port. The barrel is matching in number to the gun though.

Very interesting to see so many other makes/models with the proofs as well...beautiful Colts!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Love the Hsc! I'm always on the hunt for British capture items. You do see them pop up on the market from time to time.
    Have a Colt 1903 Pocket Hammer with British proofs, exported to Britain in 1916 for the Great War, like those in somd_mustangs' collection.

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013

Some more British proofs:
    Two Colts originally shipped to Colt's London office (the 1905 in 1911, the 1902 in 1929), more than likely appropriated by the British military in WWII, and released to the commercial market post-WWII . Markings on each are a little different but both have the firing test pressure proof markings on the barrel, crown/BNP from the post-war proofing. Since both were shipped direct from Colt's to England, they both have the crown/V proofs on left side of frame and slide, and on barrel as the initial acceptance. Both guns have minimal wear and were probably never issued.

That is definately a beautiful example of 1905... And pretty cool to have the British proofs.. Congrats! :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom