• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Ok so I'm intrigued. What would I start with that would be a salad type green? I think my kids would enjoy this. Plus how much would you buy for say 30 salads? I'm guessing you "harvest" with a pair of kitchen scissors?

I would say that you would mostly find microgreens as a salad addition or a garnish or a flavor enhancer and not as a salad by itself. There are exceptions.

Depending on tray size, let's say your standard 10x20, I sow at a rate of 24-40 grams per tray of a Basic Salad Mix. I also grow their Spicy Salad Mix and Rambo Radish but currently, that is only for home use.

Yes, you can cut with scissors or a very sharp produce knife. I use both. If you are not harvesting an entire tray at once, you need to make sure your cutting utensil is sanitized between cuttings so that you don't introduce mold or bacteria. At the restaurant, I cut a quantity needed as I get each order. It was literally a living plant at the time you place your order. It doesn't get much fresher than that.

If you want to grow salads, we did "cut-and-come-again" salad boxes when I was working the Jr. Master Gardener program at the local public school. They were similar to the one in the link though ours didn't have a stand and I took them home between weekly meetings to care for them.

Super Salmon Bagel: Cold-Smoked Salmon, Local Organic Hard-Boiled Duck Egg, Local Microgreen Mix, Heirloom Tomato, Shaved Red Onion, Capers, Dill Cream Cheese on an Organic Everything Bagel
    89238087_842560349560530_1840455917980614656_o.jpg

Railway Bagel: Heirloom Tomato, Cucumber, Carrots and Microgreens with Hummus on an Organic Super Sprout Bagel
    69760452_688997351583498_810564876849119232_o.jpg

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    For the first aid kit. Invaluable stuff. Rite Aid , $9.99 less 75% off = $2.50

Attachments

• IMG_20200703_125959192_1593798563069.jpg
      IMG_20200703_125959192_1593798563069.jpg
      95.5 KB · Views: 432

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I went hog wild on medical stuff, including some Celox, trauma dressings, and a TQ.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Does the Celox have a “Best by” or “Use by” date on it?

I'll have to check it - it's brand new from North American Rescue, and they're supposed to be the good guys in the business.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

Just got in a few packets to spread amongst the first aid kits. Now you made me look!

Sure enough, if you look carefully, there’s an expiration date pressed into the edge of the packet. And my new ones are only good through the end of this year. Neato.

Attachments

• F4EF9BCE-7B32-4F50-8A18-4D06902BBF5D.jpg
      F4EF9BCE-7B32-4F50-8A18-4D06902BBF5D.jpg
      56.4 KB · Views: 389

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Just got more BBQ sauce. I’ve noticed the neighbors are losing weight, though, so I’m gonna need to recalculate how long they’ll feed us.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

The active clotting mechanism is Chitosan which is derived from chitin

".......Chitin can be obtained from a variety of sources including the exoskeletal structure of crustaceans (crabs, shrimps, diatoms, etc.)."

You'll have to do a little research but personally I have kept my Quik Clot bandages beyond Best By dates because I done think exoskeletons will go bad if stored properly

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The active clotting mechanism is Chitosan which is derived from chitin

".......Chitin can be obtained from a variety of sources including the exoskeletal structure of crustaceans (crabs, shrimps, diatoms, etc.)."

You'll have to do a little research but personally I have kept my Quik Clot bandages beyond Best By dates because I done think exoskeletons will go bad if stored properly

*****Yes, this. If the integrity of the package is ok, it should continue to work for well past the expiration date. I've given some well expired packs (3+ years..) to some bike racer friends who have used it after a bad fall and it works fine. In addition, a friend of mine who works at NIH, who works with non-human primates has used well expired Celox on some animals that hurt themselves until they could properly stitch up their wounds. Celox is good stuff and could save your life. I keep some in my kitchen, all of my cars, and at work. I also have Quick-Clot and some other similar products as well in my first aid bags when I hike or go mountain biking, etc...

Sirex