• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Just finished up my testimony for 3/3 (nothing like cramming before the big test, right?) and took a quick peek at the long list of bills for 3/4.

Why are we opposing the theft reporting bills (HB591 and HB1501)? I'm not sure I can come up with testimony that I fully believe in good faith. Reporting stolen guns should be a prority, right :shrug:

Also, who's going? :mdpatriot

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Just finished up my testimony for 3/3 (nothing like cramming before the big test, right?) and took a quick peek at the long list of bills for 3/4.

Why are we opposing the theft reporting bills (HB591 and HB1501)? I'm not sure I can come up with testimony that I fully believe in good faith. Reporting stolen guns should be a prority, right :shrug:

Why is it a bad thing to make the victim of a crime potentially have to go to jail for not reporting the crime against him/her in time? Should we be fining women and/or tossing them in jail for not reporting a rape against them in some arbitrary time constraint? What other crimes can you be a victim of, and then be tossed in jail for a year with a $2000 fine if you just don't report it within 48 hours? This is using state force to punish the victims of crime, not the criminals carrying out the crime.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Why is it a bad thing to make the victim of a crime potentially have to go to jail for not reporting the crime against him/her in time? Should we be fining women and/or tossing them in jail for not reporting a rape against them in some arbitrary time constraint? What other crimes can you be a victim of, and then be tossed in jail for a year with a $2000 fine if you just don't report it within 48 hours? This is using state force to punish the victims of crime, not the criminals carrying out the crime.

Does that make to 2A prohibited in MD as well?

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD

Liability. Suppose someone steals your car, either at night, or while it is at the shop. You are unaware it is stolen and used in a crime. A robbery, hit and run, vehicular homicide, you get the cops banging on your door at 3AM, dragging you out into the back of a squad car. Sounds crazy right? But this exact scenario happened to a buddy of mine.

Of course it is our best interest to report stolen guns, but many of us have so many, and duplictes, it may take a while to realize they are gone. Futhermore, they are putting the burden of responsibility on the victims. Don't be misguided, this is intentional. They want to punish gun owners. That's one reason they treat stealing a gun or a prohibited person in possession of one as a misdemeanor, with 6 month sentence, but worded the penalties for private transfers in SB1261 to be a felony and 5 years. The burden of responsibility should NOT be on a victim of theft, but directly on the punks who steal them, but they don't want to toughen the laws for that because it will anger their constituents.

Moon

M-O-O-N, that spells...
    Jan 4, 2013
    In Orbit

Why are we opposing the theft reporting bills (HB591 and HB1501)?

For the same reason I would oppose a requirement to report the theft of a gas can or propane tank out of my yard, or an ax, or a chain saw. I should not have to bring the government or its agents into my life for doing nothing wrong.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    The one thing i hate is a time frame on reporting , what about persons that don't know someone stole something from them . And never report it in the time requested by law .

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    To be clear, reporting is already required, and the countdown to having to report begins when the loss or theft is discovered. If your guns are stolen on the second day of your week long vacation, you have 72 hours to report it after you come home and discover the theft, not from when it happened. That is already law.

These bills shorten the timeframe from 72 to 48 hours after discovery of the loss, and increase penalties for missing the deadline.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    To be clear, reporting is already required, and the countdown to having to report begins when the loss or theft is discovered. If your guns are stolen on the second day of your week long vacation, you have 72 hours to report it after you come home and discover the theft, not from when it happened. That is already law.

These bills shorten the timeframe from 72 to 48 hours after discovery of the loss, and increase penalties for missing the deadline.

This is what is dumb about these laws

They make crimes out of stuff they can't possibly prove in court

Cops - We found your gun at a homicide. What do you know about it

Citizen - That gun was stolen in 1973

Cops - Hope come you didn't report it within 48 hours of finding out about the theft?

Citizen - I did. I just found out an hour ago when it wasn't in the safe I last opened in 1973. I am reporting it no, 47 hours before my legal deadline.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The rationale is more that you can’t try to claim later that is gun was stolen when you in fact transferred it to someone. Probably secondary reasoning is cops want to know that a thief is likely armed now.

Hence the time line. But 72hrs seems plenty. My bigger concern would be how cops treat you. If I realize on vacation my house was broken in to, I might not be able to determine what was taken for days. I can see cops giving a hard time that you were aware of a break in (and maybe even reported it), but didn’t report the stolen fire arms for days or weeks.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I've come up with some lukewarm oppositional testimony for both...I'm here, I might as well say something:shrug:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    There are a bunch of bills, in addition to all the firearms ones. I doubt you'll miss all of them, even if they start with ours...which I also doubt. I suspect another lonnng day.

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    There are a bunch of bills, in addition to all the firearms ones. I doubt you'll miss all of them, even if they start with ours...which I also doubt. I suspect another lonnng day.

Could you post the order of the bills when they get posted? And would you save a fellow patriot a seat if you are able? I don’t take up much room and you can stick me next to a mommy as a buffer If you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    And to think that they do this to themselves:

:tdown::tdown::tdown:

Attachments

• CBE7EEE1-5B6F-4CB2-B298-D7433A3305D5.jpeg
      CBE7EEE1-5B6F-4CB2-B298-D7433A3305D5.jpeg
      49.3 KB · Views: 307

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Could you post the order of the bills when they get posted? And would you save a fellow patriot a seat if you are able? I don’t take up much room and you can stick me next to a mommy as a buffer If you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll get the order, but that doesn't mean they'll follow it. I'll try to save a seat...but no promises.:fingerscrossed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom