• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Little different that most threads here but thought someone may enjoy seeing it.....been wanting an original WWII era Japanese sword for a while and this one came along at the right time and at the right price. Type 98 officer's Shingunto that was brought back by a vet who was a Navy Dauntless pilot/crewman. Blade is signed by the sword smith Kanezane who made blades in the 30s to the end of the War. The leather combat cover on the saya is a little dry in a few spots but the blade is still in great shape.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      51.9 KB · Views: 256

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    Love these old Japanese swords. Out of curiosity, what does something like this normally run? Are we talking $100, or $10,000? I would love to get one if nothing else, then for the part of me that is Japanese.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Love these old Japanese swords. Out of curiosity, what does something like this normally run? Are we talking $100, or $10,000? I would love to get one if nothing else, then for the part of me that is Japanese.

I've just started the learning process on these, it's a huge world. For this one I paid $775 and I thought that was a really great price given the condition. It's likely a showato blade (non-traditionally made but likely still made by hand) as a lot were during the WWII period but I'm not completely sure yet as Kanezane did make gendaito too (traditionally made blades). The late war machine made guntos are the cheapest, they can be found in the 400-700 range, showatos vary a good bit but usually seem to go around the 900-1500 range based on my short time watching prices, and the nihontos (true Japanese traditionally made swords) are the big money, some are tens of thousands of dollars and more. A decent number of swords carried during the War were family/heirloom blades that were passed down and can be hundreds of years old (some 500 yrs old or more)...those can bring big bucks.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Just a PSA, don't take that to Japan, ever. They will confiscate and destroy it.

Yep assuming it is in fact showato you're right, don't worry no plans to do so here! Good PSA though on these (to all not familiar with the laws over there you can't take anything but true nihonto into Japan or else it will be confiscated)

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Because it's a war trophy?

Quotes from http://www.jssus.org/nkp/japanese_sword_laws.html

"In order to legally own a sword in Japan it has to be registered in accordance with the Ju-tô-hô (Japanese Firearms and Sword Law). This applies to both antique and newly made swords (Shinsakuto).

Only traditionally made Nihontô can be licensed, i.e. swords made from Tamahagane (a special kind of steel). This means in effect that it has to be either an antique or made by a contemporary, licensed smith. Mass produced WWII swords (so called Shôwatô) and foreign made swords are not eligible for Tôrokushô."

Basically the Japanese view the swords/sword making as art form going way back into their history, so only "true" swords made in the traditional manner are legal for ownership/import

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Basically the Japanese view the swords/sword making as art form going way back into their history, so only "true" swords made in the traditional manner are legal for ownership/import

Thanks. Looking up the words in the previous posts I ran across the phrase that the war was a "low point" in sword manufacturer.

Traditional or not, it is a part of their history. It would be like CMP melting down those 1911's we are talking about in the C&R thread. Admittedly an American point of view.

mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    Thanks. Looking up the words in the previous posts I ran across the phrase that the war was a "low point" in sword manufacturer.

Traditional or not, it is a part of their history. It would be like CMP melting down those 1911's we are talking about in the C&R thread. Admittedly an American point of view.

That is cause a lot of the WWII swords were machine made stampouts . Not all were. Some officers refitted their family swords with the military fittings and carried them. The machine made swords will not be signed. Some of the War Trophy swords are Heirlooms . I am pretty sure they will not just destroy those. Confiscate them sure.
    There are some folks who have these war trophy Heirloom swords that are trying to get them back to the families that they came from.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Awesome sword. We have a higher end replica but it's just that. A legit sword weapon wise, with no soul.

I've studied traditional Japanese martial arts for many years. I'd rather use my replica than a true historic sword. I'm jealous, you have a nice piece.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Quite cool. Do you have any closer pics of the first 6" of the business end?

I have never owned a true nihonto because I never found one in the $4K-6K range in nice enough polish for sale to bother. I know they exist as I have friends with them but just never personally lucked out. When I finally had the money, it was easier to commission a blade from a 1st rate American swordsmith than continue my fruitless search for a nice enough nihonto for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom