• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    This just arrived today, turned out to be one of my better GB finds. Lucked out and came across it just minutes after it was posted. Seller didn't know much about it so it was simply listed as a Japanese 6.5 Rifle. Having seen the one MilsurpDan scored last year I couldn't click buy it now fast enough once I saw what it was. Didn't get it as cheap as he did, but at $300 this was a steal.

It's a rare very late WWII "Substitute" Type 35 Rifle, also known as the Type 02/45. When resources were running dry at the end of the war, the Japanese dug out old Type 35 receivers that were made in the 1902-1904 period and threw them into training rifle stocks. They are incredibly crude and a great representation of the desperation they faced as defeat was near.

This one is in outstanding condition and has all the "correct" features found on these: Type 35 receiver without a serial number or dust cover grooves (suggests these could have been prototype or pre-production T35 receivers per Honeycutt's book), one piece training rifle stock, crude training rifle iron hardware to include the rear sight, and as with other known examples one of the action screws is absent because the the parts don't line up correctly and they didn't spend the time to make it fit.

This is a variation to be on the lookout for as they are often mistaken for training rifles or Bubba put-togethers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      94.5 KB · Views: 506
    Last edited:

Whitey

Collector and involved.
    Apr 5, 2014
    Central MD
    Very neat! I've never researched Japanese arms, so your post is now almost the full extent of my knowledge. Thanks!

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Very nice and for an awesome price as well. You seem to have gotten a lot of nice stuff on low BINs on GB. I need to start scanning the auctions as much as you

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Very nice and for an awesome price as well. You seem to have gotten a lot of nice stuff on low BINs on GB. I need to start scanning the auctions as much as you

Thanks, yeah I've found a few pretty good BINs the last 6 months or so, but I'm also a nerd and pretty consistently spend about 45min - 1hr each day scanning newly posted listings on GB for the categories that interest me.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    I will not get started collecting Japanese firearms ... I will not get started ....

Just give in....I said the same thing and now I'm well past 20 Japanese rifles/pistols since I bought my first about a year and a half ago. Now I'm hooked.... In my opinion, for whatever that is worth, I feel there is still a lot of room for growth in value of Japanese arms since they were considered inferior for so long after the War. Although collectors have come around to an extent there are still a lot of people out there that couldn't care less about them and prices are still reasonable considering the majority are for the most part 'as they left the battlefield'. Several of my BIN bargains have been Japanese arms sold by people who did zero research and considered them 'just an old Japanese gun' that couldn't possibly be worth much.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Excellent steal! These usually go for 2-3 times what you paid for yours. Is the stock sanded? Can't really tell from the photos. And so many of these didn't make it into the field so the furniture can be found in excellent condition.
    One variation that I don't have in my hoard of Japanese long arms. I'm jealous!

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Excellent steal! These usually go for 2-3 times what you paid for yours. Is the stock sanded? Can't really tell from the photos. And so many of these didn't make it into the field so the furniture can be found in excellent condition.
    One variation that I don't have in my hoard of Japanese long arms. I'm jealous!

Finish looks original, it has two proof marks on the stock which are still nice and crisp.

Is the front sight backwards on yours like it is on MilsurpDan's?

Front sight is installed correctly on this one

Attachments

• stock.jpg
      stock.jpg
      117.3 KB · Views: 276
    Jul 1, 2012
    This is a truly awesome "get." I agree the Japanese firearms in general are way below value, but we've seen the Nambus (esp T94) start to really take off lately. Now's the time....

... and on top of all that, the "mum" is still pristine and all the markings look gorgeous. Be hard-pressed to find a better example.

<edit> OK, just looked and Dan's is pretty darn nice too. You guys... </edit>

I will not get started collecting Japanese firearms ... I will not get started ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom