• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eguolo

May 5, 2020
    I don’t know if this is the right forum to ask this but I’ve bought and sold a few guns from my personal inventory and I think I wanna do this part time. So I was thinking about becoming an FFL dealer. Class 1. How possible is this? I already have a registered sole proprietor business since 2017. I do not have a store front so this would be done from the basement where I live in College Park( Prince George’s county). What advise can y’all give me? Is it worth it?

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    I'm no expert, but I can assure you a trap house basement won't be approved for FFL in PG. You are going to need a location zoned for business use that isn't a personal residence.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    It's my understanding you'll need to be in a zoned commercial space, get an FFL first, then Md regulated dealer, then deal with the county. Insurance blah blah. I considered it too at one point, I'm 5 years from retirement. I'm leaving as fast as possible. I may consider the same career path elsewhere. Either way, good luck, but I think the hassle wouldn't be worth what you're get out of it either.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Which is impossible in PG unless you live in a commercial space, which you are not allowed to live in.

Catch-22

Not just PG, apples to most parts of Maryland. Which is why we see very few home based FFL’s outside of western or the eastern shore.

Kaffakid

May 14, 2017
    DC
    It's my understanding you'll need to be in a zoned commercial space

Is anyone familiar with, or ever actually written, a description of your FFL business activities to a zoning board (or administrator) that is extremely anti-gun?

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Is anyone familiar with, or ever actually written, a description of your FFL business activities to a zoning board (or administrator) that is extremely anti-gun?

AFAIK the County Council sits as the zoning board in PeeGee, and the county government is the bluest of the Blue in this colony, so it doesn't look so good for you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Off the top of my head , purchase a property already with a zoning exemption , such as a combination residence / insurance office , or whatever .

AAman73

Apr 3, 2022
    I don’t know if this is the right forum to ask this but I’ve bought and sold a few guns from my personal inventory and I think I wanna do this part time. So I was thinking about becoming an FFL dealer. Class 1. How possible is this? I already have a registered sole proprietor business since 2017. I do not have a store front so this would be done from the basement where I live in College Park( Prince George’s county). What advise can y’all give me? Is it worth it?
    I’ve been trying to get mine and I have all the permits including my LLC business license. I’ve been trying to get my trader’s license and I got stonewalled at the county licensing office.

I said Bump It and filed for my FFL. Soooooo, PG county does not allow home based FFLs. The ATF will not issue me one. I must get a commercial lot or move out of PG county.

So, if anyone is trying to get an FFL for a home shop in PG county, STOP.

ATF will not issue you anything, unless you get a commercial shop or building. And the county licensing will not issue anything for firearms.

I’m going for an e-commerce shop to sell targets and such to make some money to save for my future plans. It’s PG. Other counties like St Charles there isn’t any issues. I know a guy that is running a functioning shop and he said he didn’t have any issues.

Damn, PG County.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    So the ATF won't give you an FFL for a home-based firearms business in 70% black PG county.

Sounds racist.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    I’ve been trying to get mine and I have all the permits including my LLC business license. I’ve been trying to get my trader’s license and I got stonewalled at the county licensing office.

I said Bump It and filed for my FFL. Soooooo, PG county does not allow home based FFLs. The ATF will not issue me one. I must get a commercial lot or move out of PG county.

ATF will not issue you anything, unless you get a commercial shop or building. And the county licensing will not issue anything for firearms.

I’m going for an e-commerce shop to sell targets and such to make some money to save for my future plans. It’s PG. Other counties like St Charles there isn’t any issues. I know a guy that is running a functioning shop and he said he didn’t have any issues.

Damn, PG County.
    Yep, I can't get out fast enough either !! Down to 3 years, not that I'm counting or anything.........

marc0nline

Mar 24, 2019
    Southern Maryland

Damn, PG County.
    The guy you know in Charles Co. has a homebased business? What FFL category 03, 07 or ? How long did it take him?

sakislayer716

MDS Supporter
    Aug 8, 2021
    Hummmm…. I’m on the Eastern Shore of Md…. Can you get an FFL license there to run the business out of your home? What fees/costs are associated with it….. obviously the fees associated with setting up a business (which I have already done for my Home Inspection Business) and insurance…. What else?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Hummmm…. I’m on the Eastern Shore of Md…. Can you get an FFL license there to run the business out of your home? What fees/costs are associated with it….. obviously the fees associated with setting up a business (which I have already done for my Home Inspection Business) and insurance…. What else?
    It's about zoning mostly. If your house is on property zoned residential, you most likely cannot operate a business at your house. FFL requires a physical location unlike your home inspections. If your house is on property zoned mixed use or farm, you are more likely to have your application approved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom