• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

DeeDeub

Mar 22, 2011
    This is awesome:

Maryland is a relatively small state encompassing a number of metropolitan jurisdictions with significant illegal drug problems. Although it has made significant strides in recent years, Maryland had the ninth highest violent crime rate in the United States in 2009. CIUS 2009, Table 4. Maryland’s largest city, Baltimore, consistently ranks as one of ten most violent cities in the country. (pg. 21)

Are they trying to help SAF?!

/lurker mode OFF!!

shawn

Oct 23, 2007
    You want to be the one to test that theory? I promise you that you'll be arrested for "disturbing the peace" or some other non-sense. All Gainsler said was "We can't arrest you for OCing your rifle", he never mentioned not arresting you for something else.

no I do not want to be the test case.

However it is worth writing a letter to the AG, using his own words and explicitly asking if we can carry a loaded rifle.

When he responds with a letter I would possibly try it out while carrying his letter.

At the very least this put to bed the whole "having a rifle in my car" debate.

He said that there were very few exceptions to carrying a rifle. The hunting statute that everyone cites wasnt one of them.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    This is awesome:

Maryland is a relatively small state encompassing a number of metropolitan jurisdictions with significant illegal drug problems. Although it has made significant strides in recent years, Maryland had the ninth highest violent crime rate in the United States in 2009. CIUS 2009, Table 4. Maryland’s largest city, Baltimore, consistently ranks as one of ten most violent cities in the country. (pg. 21)

Are they trying to help SAF?!

/lurker mode OFF!!

great first post! Welcome out of the shadows!

shawn

Oct 23, 2007
    Fodder for another thread perhaps?....ideas are running through my head as well.

Exactly...much more discussion on this needed.

Also....I wouldnt want to be an individual test case.

However, an open rifle carry rally with a ton of us could be a lot better.

I would think it might be tough to arrest 20 or more people with rifles. It would be a huge incident.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    They want to protect the criminals :mad54::mad54::mad54:

Pg 46

Second, the requirement of showing a good and substantial reason, by reducing the carrying of handguns by citizens who lack legitimate reasons for wearing and carrying
    them in public, helps prevent non-lethal confrontations from turning lethal. The
    prevalence of guns has been shown to increase the death rate from crimes such as assault
    and robbery.

Pg 47

mother f****r
    the good and substantial reason requirement reduces negative impacts on
    the safety and effectiveness of police officers created by the proliferation of light-weight,
    easily-concealable handguns in public among people with no legitimate need for them.15

The 15 references:
    A number of studies have demonstrated the beneficial impact on crime of more stringent gun
    laws. See, e.g., MAYORS AGAINST ILLEGAL GUNS, Trace the Guns (2010)
    (www.tracetheguns.org/report.pdf) (demonstrating the impact of various types of gun laws on the
    rate of export of “crime guns”); D.W. Webster, J.S. Vernick, & L.M. Hepburn, Relationship
    between licensing, registration, and other gun sales laws and the source of state crime guns, 7
    INJURY PREVENTION 1, 184 (concluding that “states with registration and licensing systems
    appear to do a better job than

Last edited:

Srsanbo

Massive Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    Screwed...

It is hilarious how they can plead a case of concern for public safety when implementing the current regulations, and in the same document display - with statistics yet - how they are completely failing. Keep it coming, Gansler.

The humor is only surpassed by the outrage at apparently being considered a danger to myself - reading this, I feel at the same time that I am being looked down-upon and lumped into the same category of the criminal.

I have images of rats fleeing a sinking ship. Akin to the band playing on the Titanic as it goes down. Just wondering which lawmaker might be willing to dance to the tune.

I am hoping the disdain for the public at large and the nose-thumbing at the 2A is as obvious when the decisions finally come down.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    The case will be appealed by either party, and to be sure everyone here is clear: we are still the underdogs at this level.

A stay in the decision may or may not happen. We have to win first. In the case of Heller, the decision was stayed because it introduced guns into homes where none previously existed. If the decision had been overturned, people would have had to turn in their guns or move or be prosecuted. Much like the gay-marriage decisions that were stayed because you generally cannot undo a marriage by force; or even the decision against Don't Ask Don't Tell that would have made impossible for gay service member to "un-tell" their story after the fact.

The big consideration in all of these cases: you cannot unring a bell. In each case, an overturn of the decision would cause harm to someone who relied upon it.

In the case of permitted carry of firearms by lawful citizens in Maryland, the "inherent risk" of citizen carry would have been addressed by the judge in response to Maryland's defense. He cannot say "no risk" in the opinion and then stay the same opinion due to the risk inherent in it. And frankly, this is one bell that can be "un-wrung" quite easily: if Maryland eventually wins on the merits they can administratively rescind any and all permits issued without good cause. One day. Done. People still have their guns for home and the shooting range, which they already purchased before the permit was issued. In short, there is no harm to people if the ruling is later reversed on appeal.

So my view is that a stay from the District judge based on public safety would be surprising. He - or the 4th Circuit - might issue one because this is a question of first impression with some societal impacts, though it'd be a stretch to say Maryland would fare worse doing just what every other member of the 4th Circuit (and 80%+ of the nation) already does.

We're just thinking out loud at this point. We are still the underdogs.
    I completely disagree.

One, if MD wins on appeal, and the decision is rescinded, I highly doubt everyone will hear about it (unless MD is kind enough to send letters and refunds, emphasis added on the latter).

One the genie is out of the bottle, it's out. MD could win on appeal and rescind the permits, arbitrarily and or out of malice, but don't fool yourself that there will be an impact to public safety. Those of us who taste that right, will have an awfully hard time turning that right back over to the state (which might be a good thing for the legislative process), but this is an all or nothing.

I understand that if we win at this level in mid-late summer, I want that right for forever, not just until the next appellate changes it's mind on individual rights.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    my favorite part....

"Outside of limited exceptions, Maryland does not require a permit to wear and
    carry a long gun outside the home."

Looks like I am gonna put that sling on my MAK-90 to good use. :lol:
    Reading the table of contents...and I'll have to read through the whole brief...does this mean we can now have an "open carry" of "non-regulated" arms in front of the State House at Independence Mall?

I wonder what the legislators would think about that!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Reading the table of contents...and I'll have to read through the whole brief...does this mean we can now have an "open carry" of "non-regulated" arms in front of the State House at Independence Mall?

I wonder what the legislators would think about that!

You can have open or concealed carry of long guns regulated or not :D

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    After reading it,

I'm thoroughly disgusted with the contempt possessed by the ruling elites for the unwashed masses.

I'm right on the money: Maryland is a Caste society. :sad20:

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Hey not bad......They are telling us we can carry our rifles open or concealed.

Maybe I will have to start carrying my undefolder ak .

Third, the law does not regulate the wearing and carrying of all firearms in public,
    but is limited only to handguns. Even individuals who lack a good and substantial reason
    to obtain a permit to wear and carry a handgun have the option of wearing and carrying
    other types of firearms in public
    Yep, this is on page 30

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    This is really something coming from an attorney...give me a break... page 43
    (“The government’s interest in protecting the citizenry from crime is without question
    compelling.”); Schleifer v. City of Charlottesville, 159 F.3d 843, 848 (4th Cir. 1998);
    Peruta, 2010 WL 5137137, at *8 (“The government also has an important interest in
    reducing the number of concealed handguns in public because of their disproportionate
    involvement in life-threatening crimes of violence, particularly in streets and other public
    places.”); Heller II, 698 F. Supp. 2d at 190-91.

J.Brown

Apr 3, 2008
    Hampstead
    Rita's opened back up last weekend!

Attachments

• image-2150571011.jpg
      image-2150571011.jpg
      40.8 KB · Views: 279
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts